Share Your Frugal Halloween Costume Ideas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2008, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Assuming that nobody here wants to spend $20.00-40.00 on a one-time-wear ensemble, have you given in thought on what kind of costume to put together?

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2008, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a ghost
Old 09-14-2008, 11:29 PM

A clown

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:49 PM

I made one of my kids an awesome mummy costume. I ripped up an old damask table cloth into bandages. I basted the bandages onto a white sweatsuit that cost about $8. I made up the child's face in white makeup with grey and green touches.

After Halloween, I removed the bandages, and the child used the sweats for normal play clothes.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:03 AM

I knit my girl a hat with kitty ears on it and mittens with paw prints on the hands (which she could then wear for the rest of the winter). We made her a tail with some strips of muslin I had around (which she insisted on wearing for weeks) and drew on whiskers with eye-liner. And I may be (slightly?) biased, but she was suuuuper cute.

Mama to a goofy : girl and babycakes :
Old 09-15-2008, 08:15 AM

We just make costumes with stuff we have around the house. My dd is 8 now and loves making up her own cosutmes - this year she is planning to be a cat (headband with cat ears) with a litter of kittens (stuffed animals). Last year we dressed my ds up as a truck by painting a cardboard box and slipping it over his shoulders. Yeah, our costumes are pretty lame but the kids really have a blast making them, and we get so many comments....
Old 09-15-2008, 09:31 AM

I just spent $6 on a purple velvet princess dress at the consignment store--DD loves it and it will be great for dress up for another year.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:43 AM

I hit the consignment store the day of or day after Halloween. Then they've got all the costumes seriously marked down. I pick up costumes in my kids' sizes for the following year. So, last year, I got an actual Disney Cinderella dress in a 2/3T for $4 for dd to wear this year.

Also, about halfway into October Gymboree will mark down all their Halloween stuff to about half price. When ds was 2, I bought him a racecar driver outfit for about $12, but it was well made and a little big, so he wore it the following year too. He also would randomly wear it around, because he thought it was cool. Well worth the $12 IMO.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:44 AM

my boys all wnat to be jedi knights this year - so I'm hunting for two brown flat sheets at goodwill that I can cut and sew into capes. I've already got quite a few white flat sheets in my stash that I'll use to sew robes. Ropes for waist ties, and then all we have to do is make light sabers. I'm thinking cut cardboard into the shape, painted with glow in the dark acrylic. The sheets should be less than $10 for all four costumes, and the paint I'll get for $1 with one of the Michael's coupons So, $11 and probably 5 hours of my time sewing/cutting/painting - not too bad, LOL!
Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 AM

I knitted DS a hobbit cloak. He'll wear this over brown pants and tan shirt that he already has. Daddy has promised to make him a toy "sting" out of scrap wood. Money spent: $0 (used materials we already had).

Plus he'll wear the cloak the rest of fall.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:35 AM

We purchase our costumes used, from a local website or consignment store. The next year, we sell it. We can often sell the costume for the same price we purchased it for the previous year, so we get "free" costumes. We do not have time to make costumes.

4 kids under 10
Old 09-15-2008, 11:46 AM

A black sweatsuit and 2 pairs of black socks make a great spider. I wore white shoes, white gloves, and stuck medical gloves on the ends of the stuffed socks which i safety pinned down the sides of my sweatsuit, then tied them together and to my wrists with fishing line so my extra legs moved when my arms did.

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
Old 09-15-2008, 11:48 AM

Someone just unloaded a huge bolt of white fabric on me so I'm hacking it up and making a ghost costume. I'm not handy in the LEAST when it comes to sewing so I don't plan on sewing it at all, just cutting a head hole and putting it over light gray sweatpants and a cream hooded sweatshirt ds already has.

Dd will wear a puppy costume left over from when ds was a baby.

Last year I put ds in a pair of overalls and a flannel from Goodwill, used brown eyeshadow on his face to make it dirty and he carried around his toy tools. He was a handyman.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
Old 09-15-2008, 03:47 PM

This site has some cool ideas.

http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/index.html

I picked up a rabbit costume for DS, but when I asked he said he wanted to be a dinosaur. Yikes! My goal is to try and find one on craigslist.

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:11 PM

Since the idea of trying to sew my own costumes gives me the heebie jeebies, we have just used "dress up" toys that DS already owned. Now we aren't doing that this year but we have in the past if it worked around what DS wanted to be. Last year he wanted to be a pirate. We already had a wooden sword and pirate hat souvenir. We just added a blousy dress up piratey shirt...same thing with being a knight. Toy sword, cape (you could even make one out of a playsilk), white shirt, dark pants, and shoes. Voila.

If you don't own "dress up" costumes, you can still usually get them cheaper than actual Halloween costumes from Disney, ebay, or the store.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:23 PM

I was searching around and found this site: http://www.iparenting.com/halloween/costumes/

The costumes look soooo cute, and most would be pretty cheap to make, depending on what you already have at home.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:14 PM

Last year I made DD a leopard. I found these kids jammies w/out footies and an old pair of flannel pj pants-both leopard print. I cut a little hole in the back of the jammies to sew on the tail, made a tail and ears with the pants-used an old pillow stuffing to stuff the tail. Then with the elastic from the pants I made a head band with little ears and-ta da- A LEOPARD!!! It was mass cute and cost oh I'd say $2.00.

This year she wants to be a bunny-I'm planning the same type of scenario-I just need jammies, a tail and she has the ears. Our second hand store ROCKS for this kind of stuff.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 09-15-2008, 05:47 PM

I'm going as a magic 8 ball (I'm pregnant). I might need to buy a black shirt but since I won't be permanently altering it I can continue to wear it after Halloween (I'll just tape or pin a big "8" on it). And I'm going to print up little paper answers: "Reply Hazy. Ask later."
Old 09-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Banned

Last year for Halloween, I threw a theme party. The theme was "Fun and Games" and DH & I were the king and queen of spades. It cost me $1.10 for 4 pieces felt ($0.25 each plus tax). I cut spades out of two pieces of black felt, glued them onto two whole rectangles of white felt and pinned them to black shirts. I wore my bridal tiara and made a crown for Gary out of an old gold gift bag and some glitter glue.

Another gal came as a contestant from Double Dare. She wore blue sweats that she already had and her knee & elbow pads and helmet that she uses for roller blading, and a pair of goggles she borrowed from someone.

My SIL came as Candy Land. She glued little colored squares to herself.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
DD2 will be Dora, SHe loves dora and the costume is free from my best friend's daughter.

DD1 still not sure what she will be. I'm willing to spend $10 or so on a costume. no more than $15

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (12) and DD2 (8 1/2). Entering our 5th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
Last year for Halloween, I threw a theme party. The theme was "Fun and Games" and DH & I were the king and queen of spades. It cost me $1.10 for 4 pieces felt ($0.25 each plus tax). I cut spades out of two pieces of black felt, glued them onto two whole rectangles of white felt and pinned them to black shirts. I wore my bridal tiara and made a crown for Gary out of an old gold gift bag and some glitter glue.

Another gal came as a contestant from Double Dare. She wore blue sweats that she already had and her knee & elbow pads and helmet that she uses for roller blading, and a pair of goggles she borrowed from someone.

My SIL came as Candy Land. She glued little colored squares to herself.
Those are all super cute ideas! them!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:03 PM

last year my three year old was a bubble bath.

Light grey sweats, and zipper hoodie (or white or blue..I had light heather grey) With a BUNCH of blown up white ballons. Tie the ballons off, leaving a longer tail, saftey pin the "tail" all over the hoodie sweatshirt. He had a rubber ducky sticking out of his pocket/

This works well as a bunch of grapes.. purple or green. Raspberry

Super cute, super easy and totally reuseable. Total cost... a bag of ballons and maybe some saftey pins. (I usually have pins)
Old 09-15-2008, 07:16 PM

DD wants to be a mermaid... So I found this online as a pattern.. http://mermaid.nunodoll.com/costume.html
I bought 1 yd of glittery organza for the scales (with 1/2 off coupon), and 1 yd of sparkly green for the tail (1/2 off too). I used an old slip for the base (free) and we have a nude leotard (free) that we will attach the seashells too. I'm not doing a tail on the bottom, just a big green ruffle because DD is soo klutzy :P

I'm glad I started this early, because I made my scales very small and it is taking forever to sew.. But it should only cost me about $13.. which is a huge difference from the $58: I spent last year..
Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 PM

My DD1 is being a Care Bear and we are just going to put a Belly Badge on one of winter PJ's. DS is being spiderman and I am trying to rig something up with his dark blue jammies. Easiest is DS2. He wants to be BOb the builder. He already has the overalls and shirt. I am just going to pick up a construction hat (the ones he and his brother used last year and long gone for hard play in the trash) from iParty (a couple of bucks).
Old 09-15-2008, 11:43 PM

My 3 year old wants to be a bee (at least as of this moment). I am looking for black sweatpants and a black/navy and yellow striped shirt in his size at various thrift stores. I'm going to use a black winter hat with pipe cleaners for antennae, make some wings and a stinger out of cardboard, most likely, and he will be done.

Amy, knit.gifwife to Luishola.gif, Mama to Taye (6), Darius (4), & Mya (2.5)  jumpers.gif and friend of Lola dog2.gif
Awaiting our Grand Finale, Haven Xavier in July 2011 ****5****10****15****20****25****heartbeat.gif****35****stork-suprise.gif
Old 09-15-2008, 11:56 PM

The latest issue of Family Fun had costumes ideas this month, including a "100% recycled" costume - the child wore bits and pieces of many different costumes with a sign with the recycle symbol and the words 100% recycled.

That magazine and website always has lots of good costume ideas.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
Old 09-16-2008, 12:12 AM

I plan on making dd a spider outfit out of an old black sweatshirt of mine, stuffed, and long socks for the extra arms. Plus lots of other fun stuff to dress it up. I have a hoodie w/ spider web print on it for myself, so I'm going to deck us both out with webbing and little cheap spiders and whatnot. I'm really quite excited about it.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:16 AM

no real idea what we're doing this year, but last year...

ds1 wore an old play cape over black sweats and i did his face with the classic white makeup and blood for a "vampire" effect.

ds2 wore a pirate costume that a friend had given us.

ds3 was a "hobo": ratty old grey sweatshirt that i rubbed black and brown eye makeup into for "dirt stains" and jeans with holes in them (with grey long underwear underneath). i also made "dirt" on his face and hair with makeup and wrapped an old bandanna around a ball of yarn and tied it to a stick.

ds4 wore a cute red and blue full length pj (no feeties) and i pinned a white towel on his shoulders that had his first initial on it in sharpie. he was "super w___" !

and dh and i, who never miss a chance to be goofy with the crew, wore our renaissance faire garb. i paid a lot for that stuff, i get as much use out of it as i can!

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
when DD1 was a toddler, she and her friend dressed up as Thing 1 and Thing 2 from the Cat in the Hat... it was so easy, red PJs (which we reused after Halloween), blue clown wigs ($2 each, then they got put in our dress up clothes bin), and we simply made them each a circle out of white construction paper saying Thing 1 and Thing 2. they were so adorable!!! :

we have also done a black cat with a black sweater and pants, then bought a tail and ears for under $10.

this year, DD2 will be a baby octopus... green jammies and green socks for the extra arms... some circles of scrap fabric for the suction cups, all pinned on carefully so it can be removed later.

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
Old 09-27-2008, 07:29 PM

The best kids costume I ever saw was a zombie cheerleader. It was just makeup and an old cheerleading outfit her mom picked up at a thrift store.

It was trully gruesome. And awesome!

Me, I snatch up cool costumes year round- garage sales, thrift stores, etc.. then we do a family theme every year.. one year we were zoo animals. one year we were (ahem) a damsel in distress and lots of little knights.. we reuse year to year as well

One year we were all spooky characters- Dracula, Frankenstein, dragon, etc etc..

This year we are reusing a knight costume, and the dragon costume, and adding a puss n boots and a donkey.. I am going as Fiona in my old damsel in distress costume with added shrek type ears.

User Tag List