What time of day is electricity cheapest? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 09-17-2008, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been trying to figure this out and googling it doesn't seem to give me a consistant answer. Some sites say after 9pm, others say during the busiest time of day like 5pm. I'm just wondering if I can move my laundry time to try to save a few pennies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 09-17-2008, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wouldn't that depend on your provider? Who sends you a bill? Call them up and ask them.

4 kids under 10
#3 of 26 Old 09-17-2008, 12:27 PM

Yeah, it depends on your provider. A few years ago we were with a different power company and there was a difference between 9pm-6am, weekends and holidays = cheaper. I used to always do laundry then. (Nice deal since that was when I had babies in cloth diapers!) There isn't an incentive with the power company we are with now.
#4 of 26 Old 09-17-2008, 12:38 PM

It varies by provider, just be prepared that your provider might not have a cheaper time.
#5 of 26 Old 09-17-2008, 12:51 PM

For us, the price is always cheapest between 1am and 5am. We set up the dishwasher to run then. For laundry, I just check the pricing grid on the electric company's website to determine when the price is low. The grid changes daily based on what the market is doing and how much demand there is at that time of day.

Usually it is lower before 7am and after 9pm, but we sometimes see a lull around 2pm as well.

HTH,
Maggie
#6 of 26 Old 09-18-2008, 02:53 AM

Check out your electric provider's website. Ours is 8-3PM moderate. 3-10PM most expensive. 10-8AM cheapest. Sundays is moderate all day long.

Nicole | Mom to Ciara & Oliver | Finally living aboard & loving it!
#7 of 26 Old 09-18-2008, 02:17 PM

It will be different for every power company.

Right now its the same price all the time for us, but our power company recently installed a "smart meter" so they should be switching to time-of-day pricing sometime in the near future.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#8 of 26 Old 09-18-2008, 02:20 PM

Before we moved, I looked into this and found that in order to get 'cheaper' times during the day, I needed to join their program which wouldn't have saved us all that much more money. I can't remember the specifics, but if you were involved in their program, you got cheaper electricity rates on the 'off' times of the day.

I'll have to call up my new electric company and see if they offer cheaper rates during the day or night or anything.
#9 of 26 Old 09-18-2008, 03:11 PM

With our company (Portland General Electric) you actually have to sign up for time of day pricing.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#10 of 26 Old 09-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Yes, I forgot to mention that we signed up for actual usage pricing. They had to come out and switch our meter.

Before we did it, I practiced to see if I could change my routine according to the current pricing. Basically, I have to check the online grid, if electricity is less than 7.5c per kwh then it is a savings for us. We have to look at it longer term rather than just monthly. It costs more in the summer and less in the winter.

Contact you electric company and they should be able to tell you if the actual pricing program exists.
#11 of 26 Old 09-18-2008, 05:43 PM

How would they be able to tell what time of day you're using electricity? Our guy comes and reads the meter once a month....he'd have no way of even knowing what time of day things were turned on.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#12 of 26 Old 09-18-2008, 06:11 PM

What the poster is talking about is a "time of use" meter. It is a special meter that records what time the kwh are used. It really depends on where you live & your lifestyle to make this work for you. When I worked for the electric company, I saw customers that used this rate have OUTRAGEOUS bills!!! Way more than the standard rates. The only ones it worked for were those that put them on vacation homes in the mountains. We are in so CA btw...where this rate really does not work.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#13 of 26 Old 09-19-2008, 11:59 AM

Debstmomy - thanks for explaining the meter. Yes, that is what I am talking about.

For us, this plan has worked and saved us money. Not tons though.
#14 of 26 Old 09-19-2008, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy View Post
What the poster is talking about is a "time of use" meter. It is a special meter that records what time the kwh are used. It really depends on where you live & your lifestyle to make this work for you. When I worked for the electric company, I saw customers that used this rate have OUTRAGEOUS bills!!! Way more than the standard rates. The only ones it worked for were those that put them on vacation homes in the mountains. We are in so CA btw...where this rate really does not work.

People who sign up for TOU and put their water heaters on timers, and who only do laundry and run dishwashers in the off peak hours do really well with it. It won't lower the bill if the people who sign up for TOU continue to wash and dry laundry and to heat water during the peak hours.

I had TOU when I lived in Phoenix, and it cut my electric bills in HALF during the summers - I turned my A/C OFF while I was gone, and that was the bulk of my electric usage.
#15 of 26 Old 09-19-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
People who sign up for TOU and put their water heaters on timers, and who only do laundry and run dishwashers in the off peak hours do really well with it. It won't lower the bill if the people who sign up for TOU continue to wash and dry laundry and to heat water during the peak hours.

I had TOU when I lived in Phoenix, and it cut my electric bills in HALF during the summers - I turned my A/C OFF while I was gone, and that was the bulk of my electric usage.
Ahhh, see I'm never gone. I'm home all day with daycare children.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#16 of 26 Old 09-19-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
With our company (Portland General Electric) you actually have to sign up for time of day pricing.
We Have Portland General as well...does anyone think it is worth it to sign up for time of day pricing?

We have considered it before but were unsure as to whether or not we would save money...
#17 of 26 Old 09-19-2008, 06:10 PM

Oops...N/m
I read the rest of the thread
#18 of 26 Old 09-19-2008, 07:01 PM

Wow! I didn't realize it worked that way. I just checked ours so I can avoid the higher priced times of day. Thanks all for bringing this to my attention.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#19 of 26 Old 09-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
Ahhh, see I'm never gone. I'm home all day with daycare children.
You can super cool the house on the off peak hours, and then turn the A/C off (or WAY up) during the peak hours. Everything else would still apply (wait to do laundry, get a timer for the water heater, etc)
#20 of 26 Old 09-19-2008, 09:45 PM

Our electric company discontinued time of use pricing. I miss it. Now it's just high all day long, it seems!

flowersforyou.gif

#21 of 26 Old 09-20-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
You can super cool the house on the off peak hours, and then turn the A/C off (or WAY up) during the peak hours. Everything else would still apply (wait to do laundry, get a timer for the water heater, etc)
I just don't see it working. I run the dishwasher twice a day, our hot water is propane...and we have an evaporative cooler. If I turned it off during peak hours it would be almost 100 degrees in here within 30min. You have to turn it on before it gets too hot. It keeps the house cool, but it won't cool an allready hot house. BUT I stay home with children from 3-5 families so that those families can go to work. So that's 3-5 homes that aren't running things during peak hours, because I have their children at my house.

#22 of 26 Old 09-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
I just don't see it working. I run the dishwasher twice a day, our hot water is propane...and we have an evaporative cooler. If I turned it off during peak hours it would be almost 100 degrees in here within 30min. You have to turn it on before it gets too hot. It keeps the house cool, but it won't cool an already hot house. BUT I stay home with children from 3-5 families so that those families can go to work. So that's 3-5 homes that aren't running things during peak hours, because I have their children at my house.
The cooling extra overnight works better for piggyback units. My aunt runs her A/C at night, and at 9am (start of peak) she flips over to the swamp. The dishwasher is run at night, after the start of off peak, and their water heater is electric.

If you don't use an air conditioner or an electric water heater, odds are you wouldn't see much in the way of savings, anyway.
#23 of 26 Old 09-20-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
The cooling extra overnight works better for piggyback units. My aunt runs her A/C at night, and at 9am (start of peak) she flips over to the swamp. The dishwasher is run at night, after the start of off peak, and their water heater is electric.

If you don't use an air conditioner or an electric water heater, odds are you wouldn't see much in the way of savings, anyway.
I'd have to stay up all night doing dishes if I could only run it during off peak hours. Imagine 3 meals and 2 snacks worth of dishes for 10 people!!!! lol. Anyway, in our area the peak meters are only available to homes with solar energy, so it seems to be a moot point anyway. We don't have AC at all, just the swamp cooler. I am VERY careful with the amount of power we use, but I don't bother with peak times vs off peak times because I can't.

#24 of 26 Old 09-21-2008, 09:19 AM

With our power company here you get screwed all day long

Equuskia in with Nodtveidt DD1 : DD2 :
#25 of 26 Old 09-22-2008, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'd have to stay up all night doing dishes if I could only run it during off peak hours.
:

That must be a very unusual dishwasher, to have to be monitored during use.

I'm used to the ones that you load, switch on, and can leave to run.
#26 of 26 Old 09-22-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
:

That must be a very unusual dishwasher, to have to be monitored during use.

I'm used to the ones that you load, switch on, and can leave to run.
Well it doesn't put the dishes away and reload itself. I have to do 2-3 loads a day!!!! So I would have to wait for it to be done, then unload and reload it once, sometimes twice in the night to get all of the dishes done. Instead, I add dishes to it during the day as they are dirtied, then run it when it's full. Much better than staying up all night to do the dishes.

User Tag List