What are the options for growth at the second company?
I'd probably take health care instead of no health care, plus I've had bad experiences with people telling me "next month we will have more work" etc.
Here are some calculations. I am using the IRS mileage cost for your commute, if your car is WAY efficient or WAY inefficient, this may skew it a bit.
- Currently, you are grossing about $13,500 a year (at 30 hrs/wk), and $11,200 after factoring transportation costs.
- If you get to the BEST CASE SCENARIO at your current job, you will be grossing about $20,240, and $17,900 after transport.
- If you take the offer, you will be grossing $17,680 a year, and $11,600 after transport.
That doesn't even factor in health care costs of course...
Some other considerations for me would be:
- Would you actually be working with your SO, and if so, could you commute together?
- Are you hourly at the insurance job, but salary at the other job? Do you get paid sick time at either?
- Would you like the work at the new place? The environment?
- If you just calculate transport costs on the cost of gas alone, that brings your annual gross at the new job to about $16,000 after gas.
I'd probably take the offer, but mostly because the idea of no health care gives me hives