Current Job vs. Job Offer, which should I choose? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 09-26-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My currrent job is supposed to be full time, 40 hrs. a week, but hasn't been since I started due to lack of work and a major change in the agency. It's an insurance agent who is going from being an exclusive agent- meaning she can only sell for one auto insurance company. She is going to become independent over the next 2 weeks, and will be offering insurance from 5 auto insurance companies. The current hourly rate is $8.00 per hour and for every policy we write, I get $10, and that bonus is paid out monthly. The average has been $90 since I started. This is tentatively due to go up once we can sell insurance for more than one company- the goal is at least $300 in bonuses. I've been working approximately 26-30 hours. This position is 7 miles from home each way. There are no healthcare benefits available.The hours are Mon-Fri 8-5. I do get along very well with the agent who owns the company and I am currently her only employee and she intends to increase her staff once the business grows over the next couple of months and put me into a management position with a guaranteed salary.. so she says.

The job offer on the table is a guaranteed 34 hours a week. It is a different industry that I have more than 10 years experience in. The hourly rate is $10 an hour. I don't believe there is an option for bonuses, although that is possible. There are healthcare benefits available. The position is 26 miles each way. The hours are 3p-12a Mon, Wed, Thu and days on every other weekend.

The pros and cons are that the hours make it easier for me to spend more time with my SO at the company where the job offer is on the table. Also they have medical and I have a chronic health problem that I have not been able to treat due to the cost of the medications.

In the end though I'm not sure that the job offer is going to even things out financially with the longer drive-gas wise and the difference in the salary.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-26-2008, 09:24 PM

I would take the job with benefits since you have a health condition that NEEDS treatment. IMO health insurance trumphs all others. Be honest with your insurance position, tell you can do possibly do part time (m/f) if you want to for $$ etc... Let her know you NEED benefits etc.

Would it be possible down the road to carpool with someone to the new job, you never know who you may meet there. Does the new job have potential for more hours later on?? If you have 10 yrs experience Id say you should be able to work your way up pretty quickly. The schedule with the offer on the table still allows time for a part time job or 2nd job if needed.

I really value health benefits and feel if you have the option to have them TAKE THE OFFER. You say you are not getting treatment now, just think how much 1-2 medical bills could be... A bit more gas each week or astronomical medical bills... Not a hard decision honestly.
#3 of 6 Old 09-26-2008, 09:35 PM

What are the options for growth at the second company?

I'd probably take health care instead of no health care, plus I've had bad experiences with people telling me "next month we will have more work" etc.

Here are some calculations. I am using the IRS mileage cost for your commute, if your car is WAY efficient or WAY inefficient, this may skew it a bit.

- Currently, you are grossing about $13,500 a year (at 30 hrs/wk), and $11,200 after factoring transportation costs.

- If you get to the BEST CASE SCENARIO at your current job, you will be grossing about $20,240, and $17,900 after transport.

- If you take the offer, you will be grossing $17,680 a year, and $11,600 after transport.

That doesn't even factor in health care costs of course...

Some other considerations for me would be:

- Would you actually be working with your SO, and if so, could you commute together?

- Are you hourly at the insurance job, but salary at the other job? Do you get paid sick time at either?

- Would you like the work at the new place? The environment?

- If you just calculate transport costs on the cost of gas alone, that brings your annual gross at the new job to about $16,000 after gas.

I'd probably take the offer, but mostly because the idea of no health care gives me hives

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always

#4 of 6 Old 09-26-2008, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Additional thoughts that I've worked through include:

It is impossible to carpool because I will be working their on-call nights position so I will be alone in the office. I will not be working with my SO and not in anyway near him so that we could carpool, we'll be working in opposite directions. Also, in order for the commute to be only 26 miles each way, I have to take a toll road that is $6 a day.

I have been without health coverage for 11 months and thankfully I haven't gotten very ill, a few visits to the doctor at a medicaid patient's rate and when I've gone in he's been able to provide me with some of my maintenance drugs at no charge since he's had samples. The scary part about the health situation is that last year I was hospitalized 3 times for a week each time to the tune of $25K each. Thankfully at that time I had insurance.

I also have no idea what they are offering for health insurance benefits or the cost at the new job, I know it's not free, and frankly at this rate I don't think I could afford it otherwise.

In factoring the cost of gas and tolls I'm looking at $90 a week with the new job offer as opposed to $16 in gas weekly for commuting.

I don't foresee a chance to move up at the new job for a great length of time, I don't see a chance for an increase in pay either. Both positions are paid hourly. Both will offer personal time off as of next year.
#5 of 6 Old 09-27-2008, 01:53 AM

I think you need to take a long hard look at your NEED for insurance coverage. Commuting costs aside you have an illness, you cant guarentee that you will get 'samples' of meds forever... what if you get hopsitalized again?? there are too many 'what if's'??

I would ask the new employer for some info on the health insurance plan, but *if it were me* i would take the job with insurance, then look for a 2nd job to supplement income on my off days.
#6 of 6 Old 09-27-2008, 03:10 AM

TAKE THE HEALTH INSURANCE!

I mean, really, what would your plan be if you were to be hospitalized again like you were last year? Would you be paying out of pocket? Or are there other medical insurance options for uninsured people that are available to you in your area? Have you ever had serious/expensive health complications while not insured?

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page