I know this has been done but how exactly do I get my grocery bill to go down? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Dh and I are doing pretty well right now. Unfortunately though we used up most of our savings when he separated from the military and then didn't get a job right away (we lost about $14,000 plus we had another couple thousand from doing a cross country move).

He's got a great job now but now I really want to work on recouping our savings and buying another car (which I want to pay cash for). Almost all our bills are pretty low, we only do the very basic cable which is just the local channels, cheapest cell phone plan, etc, etc. We do have some excess money still being spent on things we need for our new place...dressers, curtains, etc but much of that we're getting cheap off craigslist. Oh and dh has to wear business dress now which he had none of and we all need warm clothes.

The best place to squeeze some extra money is the grocery bill. So give me your secrets. We do clip coupons but frankly we hardly come across coupons for items we use except for tolietries. I can't tell you how much we're spending on groceries right now since all the prices are different here and we've only been here a few weeks. We don't do much organic but I do buy lots of veggies and fruit. I have to buy some specialty things for dd and I because she has a lot of food allergies. We never eat out because of those allergies though so I think that saves us some money. Back in Tucson where we lived before we were spending about $650/mo on groceries (and it was about $450/mo before all the food allergy stuff).

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would keep you recipets for the next 30 days to get a good feel for what you are spending. Also start a price book to track prices in your new area to make sure you are getting the lowest price possible for everything.

You may also want to join the grocery game. Those women can work mircales at the grocery store.
#3 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
I would keep you recipets for the next 30 days to get a good feel for what you are spending. Also start a price book to track prices in your new area to make sure you are getting the lowest price possible for everything.

You may also want to join the grocery game. Those women can work mircales at the grocery store.
I don't mean to hijack,but am wondering what a price book is? To guess, I would think you just have aregular notebook,write down your staple list,the stores you would frequent,and jot down prices to compare? Am I missing something?

Also, whatis the grocery game?

OP- right now,we are saving a lot of $,by shopping the farmers market each weekend. I think we have three weeks left.Otherwise, we just wouldn't have been able to buy many fruits and vegies w/o going there this summer.

:

#4 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 01:06 AM

What I'm going to to do this month to drive my grocery bill down is to be disciplined about going to the grocery store once a week only. If I don't have something, I won't run to the store to pick it up because usually I end up picking up a whole lot things. Once a week only (thought I will break up my fruit and veggie shopping from my dry goods/grocery shopping). With a set amount spent on each shopping trip with about $20 wiggle room for pantry-stocking/really good sales.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#5 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 03:08 AM

One thing I have done is cook a lot more vegetarian meals, since meat can be pricey. I cook with a lot of beans now. If I am cooking dishes with meat, I wish usually put in less then the recipe asks for and add things like vegetables. I stock up on meat when I find great deals too.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#6 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 09:57 AM

MEAL PLAN! Seriously. We cut our food spending by almost 50% just by writing down a menu and sticking to it.

We plan in 2 week increments - 14 meals. The meals can be had at any point during the 2 weeks (gives some flexibility). We write our list for everything we need to make the meals, categorize it by section of the grocery store and have a wish list at the end for if we still have $ in the budget for it. The only things we will pick up at the store between are things like milk and produce. I'm working on increasing the number of coupons we use.

We will also buy things that aren't on our list IF they are a good sale and will keep. Like a couple weeks ago, chicken breasts were on sale for about a $1 less per pound then they normally run. We got 3 lbs extra to freeze. A couple months ago, I got 25 lb of flour for $5 because the bag was damaged.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#7 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post

If they have to contend with food allergies, most likely GG isn't going to help her - all of their deals are on processed foods, which are usually marked as containing a lot of the common allergens (dairy, soy, nuts, etc)
#8 of 8 Old 09-29-2008, 11:54 AM

couponmom.com is like the grocery game. It's (from what I heard) not as good, but it's free so if it doesn't work for you, you haven't lost anything It works for me as long as I actually DO it.

I can't eat gluten and three of us have to avoid soy so a lot of things are out for us too. Where I try to save money is on toiletries and stocking up on meat sales, nut sales, other things that will keep. That way I don't have to worry (too much) about the fact that GF pasta is about 4 times the price as regular (ouch).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page