My name is Holly and i'm a mocha latte addict - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 108 Old 10-24-2008, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh and you can actually buy starbucks syrups (not the mocha) if there is one you like a lot. they are only $7 a bottle and will last a eally long time. we even give you the pump and tell you how many squirts to use.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#92 of 108 Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
Hi my name is Sandra and I am a Stabucks barista. wanna cure your addiction? look at the nutritional information sheet Seriously, the worst stuff is the white chocolate mocha, chia tea, pumpkin spice latte (and other seasonal drinks). all three have over 400 calories in the small. if you get skim.

other ways to deal with you need fo treats.

get a gift card and register and reload. this will entitle you to discounts, free stuff, and help you budget. (at least at starbucks). if you do anything to upgrade you drink it i all free with a registered cad - soy, organic, flavor.

get cheaper (lower calorie) drinks. skinny lattes are half the price of mochas and have almost no calories, steamers are cheap, nutritious and a treat. the most popular drink we sell, perhaps the most indulgent and one of the lowest calorie drinks is the caramel machiato. you can get it with skim milk and sugar free vanilla fo even less calories (I know I am harping on the calorie thing but t is appalling). i think it i also cheaper than a mocha.

its not on the menu but you can always order a "short" size (8 ounce). going smaller will still give you the treat but cost you less. at our store we only charge $1.06 for any drink in the short size (most stores charge slightly more for some drinks but we are not set up the same way. check around . . . )

if it is the mocha syrup that floats you boat get an Americano or brewed coffee with mocha in it. a large brewed coffee with syrup is less than $2.50 and refills will be free with a registered card. without a card it would be $1.40.

tip your barrista well even if she is not allowed to receive tips. this will give you good coffee karma. (and she may be more inclined to hook you up with free extras or up size you.)

get a good machine and make them yourself. we had one made by starbucks and seacco that was darn near coffee shop quality. the beans went into a hopper, were ground fresh, it brewed shots of espresso and made shots or americanos and always had steam for frothing. worth every penny. I think they retail for about $600 (we got them wholesale). it sounds like a lot but if you consider you spend $4.75 a day on a mocha plus $1 to tip your barrista thats around $2000 a year. you could easily cover milk, coffee and even a fancy CO2 whip creamer on top of the cost of the machine. if frappachinos are you thing get a vitamix mixer. thats the key.

and as a happy little aside . . .someone mentioned corn syrup. I happy to announce that starbucks uses real sugar (and plenty of it) in all the syrups and mixs. I have checked every label and never come across corn syrup or anything hydrogenated. and almost no artificial colors. the ingredients are surprisingly natural and simple. . . . just wanted to let you know that if you decide this is a worthy indulgence at least it is real food.
Who knew that this thread was going to come with tech support?
#93 of 108 Old 10-24-2008, 11:20 PM

You know...our barista friend here offers a good point for all of us addicts...maybe we just all need to get a part-time job there! Then we could drink free coffee!
#94 of 108 Old 10-25-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidaymama View Post
You know...our barista friend here offers a good point for all of us addicts...maybe we just all need to get a part-time job there! Then we could drink free coffee!
I had a coffee-addicted boyfriend who worked at Starbucks, and this seemed to work for him! It also had the side benefit of free day-old pastries!
#95 of 108 Old 10-25-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:

I wok at a licensed store and get no discounts or free stuff (ok I have to drink a shot of espresso every shift for a quality check . . .but yuck. ) I am not even technically allowed to accept tips. So my addiction eats up a large potion of my paycheck. So I have had to hit the beaks hard which is difficult since I am literally there almost very day and can't just avoid it.

it is a fun job. I am kinda like a perky crack dealer.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#96 of 108 Old 10-25-2008, 11:57 AM

and if it helps you feel better about you addiction I am a single mom supporting three kids on what I make there. the pay is awesome, once I get benfits they will be awesome. My manager is sweet and flexable and works around my kids schedules, doctor appointments, appointments with my attorney and all the othe craziness that comes with being a single mom. So it may seem like you are dumping money into corperate craziness but they do take care of their employees and pay them very well.

your mochas are kinda like giving to charity ya know . . . . . its a sacrifice someone has to make

#97 of 108 Old 10-26-2008, 09:30 AM

Yes I wanted to make a comment about being an employee...my friend looked into a job there...she was a teacher making a nice salary, but our school benefits are pretty expensive...she said that Starbucks had better coverage and lower monthly costs.
#98 of 108 Old 10-26-2008, 10:33 AM

I was actually tempted to apply for a job there. I am not perky so I figured maybe it might not be a good idea

The calorie thing at starbucks is big. Once I started paying attention I was shocked. One treat has a meals worth of calories and then you add in a drink and that takes care of your next meal.

I have a latte daily that we make at home. I use less milk then I used to with coffee because I froth it. I use only about a teaspoon of vanilla syrup. So way less calories then starbucks.
#99 of 108 Old 10-26-2008, 12:39 PM

I used to be a huge Starbucks addict too, but I would limit myself to 1 a week. Then I decided to boycott Starbucks and support only local places. That helped me cut down also, since there weren't any local places on my way to/from work. I will still occasionally get a fancy coffee drink, but it's pretty infrequently. The other thing I did that helped wean me off of those drinks was a "no sugar challenge." I didn't last very long, but by doing that, I came to appreciate black coffee, which I *never* in my life thought I could do. I do buy good beans to brew at home, and I think that makes all the difference. I buy from a local place that roasts their own organic, free trade beans. I pay $12.50 a pound, but when I go in and buy the beans, I get a free coffee drink

Oh, and on the travel mug note, I just bought a stainless steel mug from REI and I LOVE it! It has a screw on lid and won't spill if turned upside down

Single mama to DD 10/18/03 and DS 9/15/05 

#100 of 108 Old 10-26-2008, 01:07 PM

Okay, this may be veering too far but has anybody tried cold brewing coffee? (or did someone post about it here??!) Our local Whole Foods sells a "toddy" cold brewing system and I got intrigued by the cold brewing idea and googled a couple of articles about it and it seems pretty simple and like something you can do without a lot of equipment--basically throw some coffee in a mason jar and add cold water and let it sit for 12-24 hours, then strain first coarsely and then finely through a coffee type filter. It is supposed to produce a coffee that is smoother, has less acid and is thus better for people who otherwise don't drink coffee because of the acid/tummy issues, and it is also a bit lower in caffeine than drip brewed coffee. It makes a coffee concentrate that you can keep in the fridge and then when you are ready to drink, you add hot water and/or milk and whatever else you want. Two things that people kept saying in the various articles/blogs/comments I read about this was that it produces a coffee that is smooth and not bitter and that has chocolatey undertones. Someone also noted that this is how Seattle's Best Coffee (which has apparently been bought out by SBucks, who are maintaining this practice) uses this cold brewing method to make the coffee for all their iced coffee drinks. Anyway, it seemed to me like it was worth giving a try, especially since you all have me thinking about Starbucks and coffee now!!!
#101 of 108 Old 10-26-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita View Post
Okay, this may be veering too far but has anybody tried cold brewing coffee? (or did someone post about it here??!) Our local Whole Foods sells a "toddy" cold brewing system and I got intrigued by the cold brewing idea and googled a couple of articles about it and it seems pretty simple and like something you can do without a lot of equipment--basically throw some coffee in a mason jar and add cold water and let it sit for 12-24 hours, then strain first coarsely and then finely through a coffee type filter. It is supposed to produce a coffee that is smoother, has less acid and is thus better for people who otherwise don't drink coffee because of the acid/tummy issues, and it is also a bit lower in caffeine than drip brewed coffee. It makes a coffee concentrate that you can keep in the fridge and then when you are ready to drink, you add hot water and/or milk and whatever else you want. Two things that people kept saying in the various articles/blogs/comments I read about this was that it produces a coffee that is smooth and not bitter and that has chocolatey undertones. Someone also noted that this is how Seattle's Best Coffee (which has apparently been bought out by SBucks, who are maintaining this practice) uses this cold brewing method to make the coffee for all their iced coffee drinks. Anyway, it seemed to me like it was worth giving a try, especially since you all have me thinking about Starbucks and coffee now!!!
Cold brewing is great!

Seattle's Best Coffee was IIRC IMO terrible coffee however. Though frankly, my opinion of Starbucks is pretty low on coffee quality.

I joke that Starbucks bought SBC mainly to take over a few of their choice locations here in Seattle.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#102 of 108 Old 10-26-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Yes I wanted to make a comment about being an employee...my friend looked into a job there...she was a teacher making a nice salary, but our school benefits are pretty expensive...she said that Starbucks had better coverage and lower monthly costs.
I was half way though an interview for a teaching job when i decided "screw this. its lame but i am taking the job at starbucks." $2-$3 an hour more. no kidding. plus better benefits.

#103 of 108 Old 10-26-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
I was half way though an interview for a teaching job when i decided "screw this. its lame but i am taking the job at starbucks." $2-$3 an hour more. no kidding. plus better benefits.

Baristas here make about $10 or so. That's a touch over $20,000 a year and not that much higher than our state min wage. Where do qualified school teachers make less than $20,000 a year? That is really sad.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#104 of 108 Old 10-26-2008, 06:36 PM

wow, things must have changed much at sb's, cuz when i worked there, the frappuccino had HFCS, and every syrup and mix had artificial flavors. also i think it is very odd that the organic milk comes from a shelf-stable carton. it tastes very yucky. i have had friends who refused to try organic milk because starbucks "ruined" it for them with their weird shelf-stable organic milk. good to know they don't use HFCS anymore! but i am still wary of the organic milk.
#105 of 108 Old 10-26-2008, 06:52 PM

This is hilarious- I "skimmed" this thread through the first page of "I need to quit my mocha habit" to the last page "let's get a job at starbucks"

I have a problem. 1 coffee a day minimum, but if it was up to me I'd have probably 2 or 3. I'm quitting my 9-5 soon so I can be a modified sahm, and I'm going to have to lose the addiction.
#106 of 108 Old 10-26-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletBegonias View Post
wow, things must have changed much at sb's, cuz when i worked there, the frappuccino had HFCS, and every syrup and mix had artificial flavors. also i think it is very odd that the organic milk comes from a shelf-stable carton. it tastes very yucky. i have had friends who refused to try organic milk because starbucks "ruined" it for them with their weird shelf-stable organic milk. good to know they don't use HFCS anymore! but i am still wary of the organic milk.
Ours stopped using the organic milk last year. I thought they said it was a company wide decision. Though personally I liked the organic milk better then what they use now....
#107 of 108 Old 10-26-2008, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijip View Post
Baristas here make about $10 or so. That's a touch over $20,000 a year and not that much higher than our state min wage. Where do qualified school teachers make less than $20,000 a year? That is really sad.
Actually, a few teachers I know make started at 14,000 a year...it's really sad and they are really good teachers (very underpaid).

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#108 of 108 Old 10-27-2008, 12:02 AM

I don't know what a Starbuck's barista makes now in a store but when I was in college 12 years ago I was one at the airport I'd make $10-40 a day in tips during a 10 hour shift. That added up fast.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page