My name is Holly and i'm a mocha latte addict - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay really I need some kind of internal dialogue to have with myself so i can stop spending 6-8 dollars a day on mocha lattes. I have decided to partake in the Oct. No spend challenge and obviously a mocha latte would be considered unnecessary spending. While i have given up so many other things so easily (no cable, no video rentals, no cell phone, we don't go out on "dates" so no babysitter or movie theater spending, no longer do beautifying things like nails, expensive salons, etc. etc. etc.) I just can't deny myself some mocha latte goodness. I think the intense daily craving also comes from breastfeeding my 13 month old. I eat like a teenage boy these days and am always craving something sweet (i'm also struggling to maintain weight...as in i am losing it too fast). Anyway, sorry so long but if you have any tactics that help you stop spending money on something delicious please help!

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#2 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Banned

I totally understand. I am a former latteholic and I managed to give them up almost completely about a year ago. I now have one every 2-3 months.

The trick I used was to teach my husband how to use the coffee maker and make me a cup of coffee first thing in the morning. And also switch jobs to one that has a commute that goes NOWHERE NEAR a starbucks.
#3 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

One of my biggest problems with it is that i don't like coffee. Only lattes and only mocha ones...sigh

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#4 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 10:45 AM

You can still make one at home. We have an espresso maker, so my husband will make the espresso shots, add milk, and then lots of syrup. It actually works pretty well with regular coffee too.

But I understand the conundrum. I like the whipped cream, myself. I wonder if there is a way for you to make yourself a decadent drink without spending money. What about hot chocolate?
#5 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 10:52 AM

The gingerbread latte was mine. Thank god it was only out for a few months of the year.....of course that didn't mean I wasn't getting other drinks the other part of the year.

Figure out a way to make it yourself--or at least SOMETHING similar and fancy and sweet and that helps you feel like you are getting a treat. Because I seriously think it's not just the drink for many of us. It's the pampering aspect. Treat yourself at home. Buy a very cute travel mug now if you need to, get some ingredients, and recreate your routine at home. No matter what you do, you will save money over the long haul.

And I highly recommend the No Spend Challenge. You can not escape the three lattes you bought last week when they are right there on your post. My brain forgets VERY quickly what I spent two weeks ago. Seeing it on that challenge is a very useful reminder.

I can't imagine spending on ONE cup of coffee now, what I used to spend without blinking. I'm even getting uncomfortable with the $4 I spend on a bag of Senseo pods....and that lasts for weeks.

Good luck! You can do it!!!!!
#6 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 AM

Can you start by cutting back? I'd try getting rid of the first latte of the day - that way you know that you still have one to look forward to. It helps to replace the behavior with another - positive - behavior. Like taking a walk, or going to the library, or having a (made at home) cup of tea with a friend.

As a fellow caffiene addict, I understand .

Leeann, mama to 3*magic*kids: DD 1/03 DD 9/04 DS 8/06
#7 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 AM

Can you make them yourself? Maybe invest in a good but cheap coffee maker so its "instant"?

I started making my own coffee and mixing hot chocolate in it. I guess its been so long since i've been to a real Starbucks, that this actually tastes really good to me.
#8 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 11:06 AM

Just a thought with the holidays approaching - maybe you could ask for latte gift cards. People tend to give those to me (know that I love coffee) and it makes a very nice treat . Good luck this month - I am with you on the challenge.
#9 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 11:21 AM

I second (third?, fourth?) trying to make them yourself. We make our coffee at home. When we have whipping cream left over from making ice cream, I will use it for mochas. Coffee + cream (or whole / 2% milk) + chocolate syrup. And then I whip up some of the cream for the top. I was surprised how easy it was to do with a wisk.

Good luck!

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#10 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 11:26 AM

Same situation as my friend she is getting addicted to coffee...since we because night shift...I want to help her but I don't know what to do...
#11 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 AM

My name is Cindy and I'm an Iced Chai Tea Latte addict.

I was able to make my drink at home. The concentrate is still another 5 bucks...and more milk used up. But it's much better than 3-4.50 a pop!

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#12 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 11:29 AM

My name is Candy and I'm a pumpkin spice latte addict.

I so feel your pain.

Candy, Mom to Matthew (5/02) and Ethan (10/07)

Trying for #3 starting 5/13

#13 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 11:35 AM

Well I have been a Starbucks junkie for 12-13 years. I am talking 2-3 times a day and yes I love mochas. That said last year when I lost my job, I had to cut back, no way I could spend $8 a day. First I made my trips every other days and only 1 drink a day. However I did discover the international house coffees, they have a mocha style version and when you add cream its not bad. That allowed me to reduce my trips to Starbucks to only a few times a week. Another cutback I did was change my drink, in hot months rather than getting a iced mocha, I get a iced coffee and have them add a couple shots of mocha. Its smiliar to a mocha in taste but almost $2 less. For a hot drink, I get a misto and get a shot of mocha, again similiar in taste to a mocha but cheaper. I am now at the point when I go to Starbucks I get these drinks so its a savings. Good luck!

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#14 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I'm a pumpkin spice latte addict
Me too. I look forward to october all year when they bring out the pumpkin flavors. Today i got a pumpkin bagel at Einstein bagels mmmm.

I used to get mocha lattes all the time, well, everytime i went to target. Now i just don'tgo to target anymore. Do you drive by the coffee place on your way to work? if so, take a different way. If you make a special trip out, take a walk instead. Just do whatever brings you to the coffee differently. Avoid the things that make you crave coffee. Easier said then done i know.

For me the only thing that works is cold turkey. No more lattes. Nothing i can make at home will ever compare (maybe i'm just bad at making lattes who knows) so i just switched to plain coffee with the flavored creamers. Much cheaper, and good in a different way. Maybe you could try the mixes at the store, like international coffee's or slowly switch to hot chocolate. Once you go one month and see how much money your saving it might be enough incentive to keep not going.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#15 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
Okay really I need some kind of internal dialogue to have with myself so i can stop spending 6-8 dollars a day on mocha lattes. I have decided to partake in the Oct. No spend challenge and obviously a mocha latte would be considered unnecessary spending.
Hold your horses, since when is a latte not an essential? I think it is the top four: food, shelter, clothing and lattes. Good luck giving it up though.

Heidi
#16 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 12:00 PM

Make them at home, they aren't the same but you'll save a small fortune. I love, love, LOVE Starbucks White Chocolate Mochas - they are to die for. But we just cannot afford them. Instead I use International Delight's "white chocolate macadamia" cream in my coffee in the morning. I buy it when it is on sale and pay $2.50 for a large creamer. I pay $3 for enough coffee to last us 2 weeks. When I realized that my beloved white chocolate mocha cost just as much as over 2 weeks worth of coffees I stopped buying them.

I do however ask for Starbucks giftcards for my birthday and Christmas DH got me one last year and I got to have a white chocolate mocha once a week for a few months. I appreciated it so much more too.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#17 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 12:02 PM

BTW you can buy a cappucino maker and make awesome lattes at home. It requires a little work but they taste just as good as store bought. We have a Krups (sp?) and it was $50 and we've had it for 6 years now and it is still going strong. It has the milk steaming/frothing attachment.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#18 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've so been there, except I like mine without the chocolate. I second the suggestion that you invest in an espresso machine and make your own.

Here's what scared me straight. When I took my preschool DD to Starbucks every day, I was spending like $9/day. Multiply that times 240 work days per year, and I was spending $2160 a YEAR on Starbucks. Holy ****!

So now I have a cash envelope for Starbucks: $15/month, and I save it for the PMS migraine days. I really do need an extra caffeine boost on those days. Plus it gives me something nice to look forward to, and I don't feel totally deprived. Of all the financial moves I've made the past year and half, giving up daily Starbucks was truthfully the hardest. But making the chance was so worth it, financially.

Good luck to you!

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#19 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt's Mom in MT View Post
I'm a pumpkin spice latte addict.

I so feel your pain.
Me too! I've been thinking of taking out $20 and putting into a starbucks envelope. It really doesn't help that there is a drive thru in town and inside my supertarget.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#20 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 12:17 PM

The most frugal thing I ever did was to spend LOTS of money (over $1000) on a super-automatic espresso maker. It became ridiculously easy to make any coffee beverage imaginable at home. All I had to do in the morning was press a button and I had my latte. It easily paid for itself within a year.

My old inexpensive machines just drove me crazy so I would resort to stopping at Starbucks on the way into work.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#21 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 12:20 PM

Ooooh, pumpkin, what kind of machine do you have? I've had two of those Krups $60 ones, and within a couple years, the espresso started tasting like dirt. Plus, I'm such a klutz that I was always breaking the little caraffe.

Nichole
wife to Sasha, mom to Marlena, nursed for 3.5 years, aunt to 3 adorable nephews
#22 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 12:55 PM

I have a Gaggia Titanium.

You can easily spend much more, but I've been really happy with our purchase.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#23 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
You can still make one at home. We have an espresso maker, so my husband will make the espresso shots, add milk, and then lots of syrup. It actually works pretty well with regular coffee too.

But I understand the conundrum. I like the whipped cream, myself. I wonder if there is a way for you to make yourself a decadent drink without spending money. What about hot chocolate?
I totally agree. I do not have a mocha latte addiction or even a Starbucks problem, but when there is something I crave, I usually just search the 'net and make it myself. It is more enjoyable that way, too!

Yes, it does cost money, but only a small fraction of what you pay to buy it (plus the gas to drive to SB!).
#24 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 01:09 PM
mtm

Is the latte worth $2000 a year to you? 2000 with nothing to show for it. In 5 years you could have 10,000 to invest, pay off your house, take a faboo vacation or you could just keep buying those lattes. I'd make it a special treat, start with one a week then one every two weeks.
#25 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 01:18 PM
p.s

$ for latte + $1 for time and gas = $7 x 365 days ----> $2555

buy the best cappucino machine you can afford.
Buy Illy espresso beans.
Buy only organic whole milk (We've tried them all and I think Stoneyfield tastes best).
Get the best water purification system you can afford(we use aquasana. the water quality does make a difference).

Now you can make as many lattes as you want... for whomever you want.... whenever you want. Even in your underwear.

AND... your cappucinos will taste at least 5x better than ANY option at Starbucks.

and at the end of the year, you'll still have the machine.
#26 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 01:19 PM

I agree that it is actually a frugal thing to do to buy a good quality espresso machine!

For years, I had a krups machine that was messy and made mediocre espresso. Last fall, we bought a new Nespresso machine that has little sealed pods. I had used one of these when I lived in Europe years ago. The coffee is excellent and the machine is easy to use. Easy enough that my husband makes me a latte almost every day in bed! Nespresso also makes a milk frother that works great. I think we spent about $300 on the espresso machine and frother, but now my coffee habit costs about 50 cents a day instead of $3.

Although this still adds up a little, I cannot imagine life without coffee. Or wine, when I'm not pregnant.
#27 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 01:35 PM

I started making my fancy stuff at home. I steam my milk on the stove and make strong coffee (about 2 tbsp per 1 cup) to use in my lattes.

I just posted about my pumpkin spice latte on my blog yesterday.

I bet if you steam a cup of milk with chocolate syrup and add it it to about a half cup-3/4 cup coffee and dab with whipped cream it would be comparable.

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#28 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 02:20 PM

This might help...

I stopped drinking Starbucks drinks because once I left an almost full cup of their special cinnamon latte that they do at the holidays in my office over the weekend. On Monday, I went to throw it away and it came out of the cup in ONE gelatinous piece--like a can of cranberry sauce. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was really disgusting--I have no idea what they put in those things to give each drink "silky mouthfeel" but I haven't had one since.
#29 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2simon View Post
Just a thought with the holidays approaching - maybe you could ask for latte gift cards. People tend to give those to me (know that I love coffee) and it makes a very nice treat . Good luck this month - I am with you on the challenge.

this is what i do. i'm a self professed starbucks-aholic! my drink of preference is the peppermint mocha! YUM!

so for everything from my birthday to mother's day to christmas, almost everyone in the family gets me a starbucks gift card which i then use all year long. i too used to get them like everyday (or more ), but i've started to only get one one my grocery shopping day.....it feels like more of a treat this way. i drop my kids off at school and hit starbucks on my way out to the stores. and let me tell you....i look SO foward to that drink each friday! lol! but i know i'm saving TONS-O-$$$ by cutting back to just once a week.

i do "fall off the wagon" from time to time though.......especially when out holiday shopping or out on a date with my husband and he wants a treat too. but i went from generally spending $25+ a week to $4.50.

you can do this!

: : vicki ~ wife & mom of 2 amazing kids
live well ~ laugh often ~ love much
#30 of 108 Old 10-01-2008, 03:47 PM

I don't like coffee or coffee ice cream NEARLY as much as those Starbucks Frappucino things..

But I find that if I drink my own coffee or have some coffee ice cream before going out where the Starbucks is then I at least have a running chance of getting past the counter without buying.

Sometimes I fail and end up having both the at-home-stuff and a Starbucks, but it at least takes an edge off the craving.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page