How Much Do You Pay for Heat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-03-2008, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies!

My husband and I have been renting for about a year and a half, and may be interested in buying a house. The house is two levels with a basement, with wood and propane heat.

Problem is: I can't remember how much we used to pay for heat in the winter. And we live in northern Michigan, where it gets COLD.

Could anyone in northern climates let me know how much you generally pay for heat in the winter? And for those of you who use wood, do you find that it does help cut cost?

Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 10-03-2008, 05:25 PM

Oil heat, rural NH, big old farmhouse, drafty windows. $800-900 per month during the snow months.

This year prices skyrocketed. We locked in a price and budgeted it over the year, we're paying $500/mo year round.

Electric is about $100-150 per month year round. The northeast sucks for energy costs.
#3 of 9 Old 10-03-2008, 05:42 PM

We live in an older home in the country, ohio, and pay for heating oil.... $750+ a fill, about 5 fills a winter!

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#4 of 9 Old 10-03-2008, 05:50 PM

It depends how much wood and how much propane. I live in the mountains of Virginia. Not quite as cold and snowy as MI, but we need heat from Oct/November through March.

We have a wood furnace but we only have to run it every other day. But, by the evening of the off day, it would get chilly and we would use the propane. We did go through a lot of propane and have decided that we will run the wood furnace more often.

We spent over $400 in propane but nothing in wood as we had some trees removed, so we burned those.

This year, we just bought 2 cord of wood for $300 and that should do us fine. The wood guy did offer all the free wood we could burn for hunting rights on our property.
#5 of 9 Old 10-03-2008, 05:53 PM

We pay about 75 month, but we have natural gas.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#6 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 11:52 AM

The price of firewood has gone way up where I live (northern New England) and it was in high demand when I started freaking out about it in June/July...my DH got hooked up with an arborist who sold us 2.25 cords of cut-not-split hardwood for $225. We had to rent the splitter which was around $50 for 24 hours, so $275 and some labor...but it was fun and well worth it since cords of kiln-dried wood were going for $360/delivered. We're waiting on it to dry out so we can burn it safely, but in the meantime we have untreated, $free pallets to burn, and other scrap donations from friends and family. Our main source will be wood, we'll supplement with electric heaters, which isn't all that cheap, but the electric company bills are easier to deal with than the oil company bills (for me.)
#7 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 12:16 PM

We are in MN where the weather is similar. We have natural gas so it's not as expensive as propane. Our highest bill in the past 5 years is $180ish.

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
#8 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 02:48 PM

We have oil and based on our estimates from the oil company this year, it can cost up to $1600 per month. Our house is two levels, 1700 square feet. It will cost over $800 each time we fill our tank. Experience in the house we rented last winter tells me that amount definitely lasts two weeks. We can stretch it out for up to a month depending on how cold it is and how low we are keeping the heat.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#9 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 03:16 PM

I think it averages about $600 a month
New England/old house/old electric baseboard heat

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page