eating deer apples - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the name of frugality, I found a local source of non-waxed, non-sprayed apples, but the guy only has "deer apples" left. Do you think I could salvage these and make applesauce, pies, jelly, etc? It is about an hour away, but only 20-30 minutes further than MILs house, so we could combine trips this weekend. $15 for 50lbs. Any tips? Would this be worth it to you?

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#2 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 PM

sounds like you could...
talk to the guy and see what he thinks.

and
#3 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 08:45 PM

I would ask the guy. I just got 20 lbs or so of unsprayed apples from a relative's tree and hoped to make sauce, etc but they were so small and wormy I didn't get enough for anything and had to pitch them all. OTOH I got 20 lbs of seconds at the farmers market for $8 and they were perfect for canning, just cosmetically ugly.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#4 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 10:27 PM

If they are decent that's great, but $15 for 50lbs is a really good deal, and I live in apple country.

I get mine for free because my neighbors have an orchard.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#5 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
If they are decent that's great, but $15 for 50lbs is a really good deal, and I live in apple country.
I don't know - around here the orchards are selling nonpremium seconds (Macs, Paula Reds, Cortlands) for $8/half-bushel, which according to my calculations is about 22 lbs. So that's roughly $16 for 50 lbs. They're not deer apples, they're seconds, which includes small blemishes/bruises, too-small apples, etc. No worms at all. I wouldn't spend that for wild/wormy ones.

Premium kinds like Honeycrisp are going for more, though, especially since it was a tough year for honeycrisp. $14/half bushel.

Anyway, up here (VT) we are also in apple country.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#6 of 12 Old 10-09-2008, 03:25 PM

Apples are $19 a bushel here, too.
#7 of 12 Old 10-09-2008, 04:11 PM

I grew up eating "deer apples" on the farm, so I will warn you: they are likely to be filled with worms, bird bites, and other stuff. I recently got 5-6 bushels of organic, non-sprayed apples for free from my friend's property. I turned the apples into apple butter. It will just take you longer to prepare, because you will have to cut open and inspect every apple. I cut out worm eaten portions and salvage the rest of the apple. Some people might be grossed out by this, but it doesn't bother me or my family, especially since the apples are boiled down to make apple butter. I used some of the nicer apples to can apple pie filling.

If the price is low enough and you are combining trips, then I say it's worth it...but it will take more time to make things with them. Good luck!
#8 of 12 Old 10-09-2008, 04:18 PM

What is a "deer apple?"

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#9 of 12 Old 10-09-2008, 04:31 PM

I've used deer apples before for apple butter and I don't remember them being full of worm holes. I'm sure it just depends on your source's opinion of what a deer apple is.

Busy mom and loving it... dd (2/03), ds (6/05), dd (8/07), ds (12/09), ??? due 5/12

#10 of 12 Old 10-09-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybutterfly View Post
What is a "deer apple?"

Generally speaking, a deer apple is from a un-managed/wild (not sprayed) apple tree or these are the apples that fall on the ground and are bruised or damaged. Some people refer to sour crab apples as deer apples too.

My grandparents kept a large orchard with apples, pears, plums, and peaches. Their trees were trimmed and sprayed once in the spring, but they were still rather wormy. The ones that were too bad or that fell on the ground were left at the edge of the woods for the deer.

I grew up thinking that it was normal for apples to have imperfections because we never bought apples at the store. When I moved away from the farm, I was shocked at the apples in the stores. I can't imagine how much they have to spray those trees to make the apples so perfect.
#11 of 12 Old 10-09-2008, 04:58 PM

I have to say, I read it and thought "road apples," then "why would you want to eat that???"

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#12 of 12 Old 10-09-2008, 06:42 PM

I had no idea what a deer apple was. We have a crabapple tree in our yard and I have found no worms so far this year. I have been lucky, though. We grill ours on the grill with an oatmeal topping. Very yummy!

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page