Any reason not to file for unemployment benefits? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-15-2008, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH was laid off last week and I suggested to him that he file for unemployment benefits. He thinks it would be too much trouble and take too much time that he should be spending on looking for work. Is it really that much of a hassle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 05:19 PM

No he's crazy. What if he doesn't get something right away? He paid in to have these benefits should he lose his job.

Help him figure it out, you need it!
Old 10-15-2008, 05:21 PM

Do it. It's not that difficult. My husband is pulling low earnings pay right now (he's in construction and the new job is held up for 2 weeks) and it only took a few phone calls and one office visit. For us a few minutes of time was worth being able to pay our bills this month!
Old 10-15-2008, 05:22 PM

When I got laid off 7 years ago, i didn't even have to do an office visit. One phone call was all it took.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:25 PM

I put it off because I thought it would be a pain too. After a few months a friend DRAGGED me there and sat in the office while I did it. It took a total of 5 hours and I hated every minute of it, but I ended up collecting about $1400 in benefits that year that I was incredibly grateful to have. So, that's about $280 an hour, which I'd gladly do again

Also, be sure to plan for the fact that unemployment is taxable, but most places will not withhold those taxes by default -- you have to ask them to.

Me + DP + 2 rescue lap dogs = True Love Always
Old 10-15-2008, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks folks! I will push a little harder! I can probably help with paperwork, too.

That's good to know about taxes, I'll keep that in mind!
Old 10-15-2008, 05:35 PM

I was able to start my claim online and file online weekly. I never had to step foot into an office or speak to anyone in person. If I hadn't had questions, I probably wouldn't have even had to talk to anyone. It took about 15-20 minutes to set up and about 5 minutes each week to file claims. All I needed was my former employer's name, address, salary, why my job ended, personal info (name, address, SSN, etc), dependent's names/birthdays (if I wanted to claim them) and maybe a few other small things, but nothing that I really had to spend time looking for. It takes a few weeks to start getting paid and I only get about half was I was earning, but it's better than nothing.

I did opt to have 10% taken out for federal taxes, but there was no option for state taxes to be taken out. When I did get a job, I just had them take out a little extra in state taxes to cover the lack of taxes taken out of unemployment.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
Old 10-15-2008, 05:55 PM

I think the days of going to the UE office are long gone, I filed UE last year and to file an initial claim it took less than 10 mins online. My former employer tried to appeal so that involved me speaking to a rep from unemployment and that was less than 10 mins and filing weekly claims is like 3 mins tops. So I think its worth it to file unless you don't need money.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:37 PM

The difficulty you would have depends on the state. In Alaska, you just call an automated number, punch in the date you lost your job, and update it weekly I think (they ask if you looked for a job punch 1 for yes, 2 for no, etc)..

It is pretty easy here and can even be done Espanol!

I WOULD recommend doing it soon, though because I think here at least you have to be unemployed for 4-6 weeks before you can collect, so get the documentation in soon!
Old 10-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamagotchi View Post
DH was laid off last week and I suggested to him that he file for unemployment benefits. He thinks it would be too much trouble and take too much time that he should be spending on looking for work. Is it really that much of a hassle?
It takes a couple of hours (at most) the first week, then 10-15 minutes a week after that. Plus keeping a log of his job search contacts, which he ought to be doing anyway to keep track of who he's already contacted.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DH's unemployment claim took all of 5 minutes online, we got a letter within a week and started getting checks in no time at all. Totally worth the 5 minutes it takes to start the claim, then it's about 30 seconds to claim online every week.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all!! I sat down with DH and we filled out the form online in about 10 minutes. He agreed that it was not too much trouble

User Tag List