Are credit scores unconstitutional? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Are credit scores unconstitutional?
Yes 23 16.91%
No 106 77.94%
Other 7 5.15%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 10-26-2008, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
You are being "forced" to use credit to obtain the mortgage you want through the lender you want. There's no force involved. You're free to freeze your credit cards and look elsewhere for a mortgage. Put 20% down instead of less than 10%, and they may not care. Agree to a higher interest rate and they may not care.

You may not like what you're being offered, and I wouldn't either, but it's not a violation of your constitutional rights in any way, shape, or form.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#62 of 69 Old 10-26-2008, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post
if it's a myth then why are we being asked to have revolving credit?

obviously it's not a myth in this case.

i don't know why you're not taking my word on this?
maybe i could invite you to the next meeting we have with our mortgage guy?
I don't doubt that what you are saying is correct in your situation...but there are other mortgage lenders and banks and credit unions out there besides your mortgage guy and people, such as myself, have in fact obtained mortgages without using credit cards. What I said it that it is a myth that you can ONLY obtain a mortgage by the use of revolving credit, not that it is a myth that some, even most, mortgage companies and banks like to see use of revolving credit when making mortgage loans. Conservative lenders, such as my local thrift which only lends their money and holds the notes and services them themselves, are more likely to base a loan decision on income, down payment, lack of debt, payment history on other loans, including student loans.

You have a down payment that is less than 7% of the purchase price- not 10%, not 20%. PMI is a factor there. You are a riskier proposition to a lender than someone with 20% down. Several decades ago, few if ANY lenders would have given you a mortgage with 7% down. Was that unconstitutional?

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#63 of 69 Old 10-26-2008, 02:42 PM

And what of the rights, constitutional or otherwise, of lenders? They lend to make money, not as a public service.

I agree with those that say that NO constitutional issue has been raised here.

Re: right to privacy, at least WRT obtaining a loan or credit you have no obligation to apply for a loan and open up your record to scrutiny.

WRT insurance use of credit score, states need to make it illegal IMO. Some states prohibit the practice already.

Katie, mama to one big boy (6/03) and one little boy (12/08).
It is never the wrong time to do the right thing.
#64 of 69 Old 10-26-2008, 02:45 PM

$10K on a $150K house is not a large down payment. It's less than 10%. If you had somewhere between $15K-$30K (10-20%), they probably wouldn't care about revolving credit.

About CC's, mine are not 0% interest, but you have a grace period of at least 25 days to pay before you acrue interest. So, by charging all household expenses monthly and paying it off monthly, you develop a revolving credit history without incurring any fees.
#65 of 69 Old 10-26-2008, 02:55 PM

No, but then again ours is in the 800s so I guess I am biased about that....
#66 of 69 Old 10-26-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattyCat View Post
About CC's, mine are not 0% interest, but you have a grace period of at least 25 days to pay before you acrue interest. So, by charging all household expenses monthly and paying it off monthly, you develop a revolving credit history without incurring any fees.
Exactly.

And I agree that putting down less than 10% on a house is going to put you at the mercy of lenders.

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#67 of 69 Old 10-26-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirp View Post

our credit card is NOT zero interest. we would have switched them to a zero interest card but that lowers your credit rating.

another bill we pay every month, and they charge us interest.
Maybe I missed the explanation, but if all you put on the credit card is gas and groceries, that you pay off every month, why are they charging you interest? It doesn't matter whether it is a "zero percent" card, if you never carry a balance beyond the grace period.

Jill H.

(lucky mom to Amelia 18, Camille 16, Evan 13, and Gracie 11)
#68 of 69 Old 10-26-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
I completely agree.

DH has t1 diabetes, we've been swamped with medical bill after medical bill and our credit is TRASHED it's like less than 0 (well not literally but pretty dang close)
From my limited knowledge or thought on this topic - the point of a credit score is for companies/banks/whatever who are going to lend you money to assess whether or not you are likely to pay them back and then, if they decide to lend you money, to decide at what rate will be satisfactory to cover their risk. While obviously no one is to blame for having medical bills and on a personal level I really really really feel for you and anyone who has bad credit through no fault of their own, that's not the company or bank's fault - they would want to know that a person hadn't paid bills and wouldn't be able to in the future so they won't lose their own money. Fair? Maybe not - but life isn't.
#69 of 69 Old 12-29-2013, 01:47 PM

I believe credit scores are unconstitutional because they keep you from finding a place to live. Some people spend all their checks on hotels.  People pull your credit report and said you dont have enough credit so you have to go get credit cards to build your credit. Many companies(cell phones,cable,internet and ect.)  pull  a credit report to sell to you but are not required to report back to the credit rating companies.My cell phone at tmobile runs just over $200 amount and I have been with them for 7 years but they are not required to report to the credits score companies. People tell you if you want to incease your credit get a credit card. Are these credit rating companies owned by the credit card companies. You are required to pay to get this credit info and scores that you have been branded with. So a company can put a number on you and you have pay to find out this number and then pay credit card companies to help you increase it so you can rent or buy a place to live.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page