Fall/Winter Parents Using Public Assistance-Support Only! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 311 Old 03-04-2009, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess I am joining the ranks of public assistance (you can check out my posting hsitory if you want the whole ugly back story) I have a couple questions: first, I am trying to move somewhere out of state (dont' care where) SOON, while I still have sole legal and physical ustody. i would love to hear from anyone living in public housing what state you're in, what it's like and whether they have frequent openings. I don't even know where to start....right now i'm looking at parts of GA, SC and FL.

My other question is, has anyone experienced discrimination becuase of not vaxing? They are cutting my TANF benefits from $250 to $200 becuase ds is not vaxed. Anyone know anything about that?

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#302 of 311 Old 03-04-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
I guess I am joining the ranks of public assistance (you can check out my posting hsitory if you want the whole ugly back story) I have a couple questions: first, I am trying to move somewhere out of state (dont' care where) SOON, while I still have sole legal and physical ustody. i would love to hear from anyone living in public housing what state you're in, what it's like and whether they have frequent openings. I don't even know where to start....right now i'm looking at parts of GA, SC and FL.

My other question is, has anyone experienced discrimination becuase of not vaxing? They are cutting my TANF benefits from $250 to $200 becuase ds is not vaxed. Anyone know anything about that?

As for the vax, can you get an exemption form from your LO's Ped? Ours gave us one, and we've had no issues because of it. It just says that she doesn't recommend full vaccinations for the child's health. I've used it at WIC with no questions, so I don't know if it would be the same for TANF.

Oh.. I actually don't know what TANF stands for either..

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#303 of 311 Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post

Oh.. I actually don't know what TANF stands for either..
it stands for temporary assistance for needy families, which is the nice word for "welfare."

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#304 of 311 Old 03-04-2009, 02:43 PM

i receive wic but we just applied for food assistence. We dropped of application 2 weeks ago...anyone know when we will hear back? We are in michigan
#305 of 311 Old 03-04-2009, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by candlepledge View Post
i receive wic but we just applied for food assistence. We dropped of application 2 weeks ago...anyone know when we will hear back? We are in michigan
I bet you'll be hearing any day now. I think mine was two weeks from my date of application. You can call, though, and see if they can tell you anything. Good luck.
#306 of 311 Old 03-05-2009, 01:40 AM

Can I join? I don't know if it counts, but I am submitting my application for financial assistance through the children's hospital that is providing my daughter's speech therapy.

If we do not get assistance, and insurance denies our appeal, it's more than $3000. We might try a different venue for therapy, but we don't think she's quite bad enough for the school district to cover at this time.

And, when I am on maternity leave in the fall I won't have enough time to cover the leave, so I'll be applying for WIC for at least those three months.

I thought we were doing "pretty good," but it's hard to cover anything beyond the basic expected expenses.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#307 of 311 Old 03-05-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2bemommy View Post
My kids aren't vaxed. They asked for the official religious exemption letter, and that was the end of that. I know in my state, it's listed in the handbook that they have to keep track of it, but it doesn't say anything about it being linked to benefits.

Sidenote: Can I whine for a second? Are there any other mamas in Tennessee?

We will qualify for TANF/Families First in May. I was more looking forward to the childcare assistance voucher than the welfare money, to be honest. I have no problem working, I'm doing it now, I'm just paying the childcare providers about 80% of what I make every day. Just found out that the childcare assistance wait list is closed. The WAIT LIST is closed.

The Section 8 waitlist closed sometime last year.

So, now I'm on the hunt for a daycare that will work on a sliding scale, that's not so far away that it kills me in gas. Of course, once I start working 40 hours a week, that may toss us right back out of qualifying for welfare. What a lovely downward spiral this is looking to be. I'm so frustrated and discouraged. When I worked, I paid into this "system", and I actually need the help, at least until my 3 1/2 year old goes into school (about 18 months), and the help just isn't there.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#308 of 311 Old 03-05-2009, 01:40 PM

Have looked into moving to another state? I know things are tough all over, but aren't you fairly close to GA, MS, and AL if you are in Chatanooga?

Hugs. Your kids will get older, and things will get easier once they are in school. I know that's a long way off, but you'll get there, mama. A close friend who was a single mom (she's engaged now!) was able to buy a house once her DD was in school.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#309 of 311 Old 03-05-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leta View Post
Have looked into moving to another state? I know things are tough all over, but aren't you fairly close to GA, MS, and AL if you are in Chatanooga?
LOL, trust me, I checked! The Georgia state line is about a 20 minute drive away from where I am now, in the 'burbs of Chattanooga, and would be totally doable. Unfortunately, they have about 25,000 families on the wait list for child care assistance.

I could move to MS/AL, but I clean houses during the day, and have a good client base built up here, and I would have to start all over from scratch if I moved that far.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#310 of 311 Old 03-05-2009, 02:17 PM

Yuck. I'm sorry.

If you don't get childcare subsidized, could you look into bartering childcare with another single mom? Maybe one who works a different shift? This would mean more work for you, I know.

Or, you could become a state certified child care provider yourself, and clean houses more like an on-the-side thing?

I hope you get your childcare subsized and this all works out for you. It will get easier. I have been on assistance, I know how much it sucks. Things get better.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
#311 of 311 Old 03-06-2009, 01:40 PM

Good news! Dh got a new job in his field (forestry) and we didn't even have to move! : Our DHS office is behind on processing things, so we'll still have food stamps and Medicaid until the end of April. That's great news because the new job's insurance won't start until June 1st. Where can ds get medical care if he needs it in May (the only month he'll be without insurance)?

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page