Fall/Winter Parents Using Public Assistance-Support Only! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 311 Old 12-17-2008, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Welcome, Sabrina!

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#122 of 311 Old 12-17-2008, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

And I just changed our thread-title to make it more inclusive!

#123 of 311 Old 12-18-2008, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammal_mama View Post
And I just changed our thread-title to make it more inclusive!

Welcome newbies! I wanted to chime in here on Christmas. I am feeling so lucky and blessed this year as far as gifts for DS go. I went to a toy swap about a month ago and found this toy barn, these books and puzzle, and this felt food for him. Since I traded in a bunch of toys that he either didn't play with or I didn't want him to have, it was all free! He is also getting this stove that I found on Craigslist for $15. It is in perfect condition, and it is his "big" gift this year. I was stunned when I went to pick it up. The seller could have easily sold it for $75 or more. I made him a bunch of felt food from some felt scraps I had, and I also knit matching mama/toddler hats too. I feel like he is going to have the most fabulous Christmas, and it cost me next to nothing!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#124 of 311 Old 12-19-2008, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Anyone have trouble spending money on things that are wants and not needs? I have been struggling for so long it seems that its killing me to buy something I REALLY REALLY WANT. We have been so blessed with Christmas and it was totally unexpected. Someone gave my dd's some gifts and didn't know she needed to have all cotton clothes so today I took them back (they gave me the gift receipt) and I was in about how much money they had spent when the store handed me the GC for the return. I got dd some cotton clothes that she needed and got both kids some xmas presents. Nothing major but there's still like $80 left. I have WANTED a new couch cover for at least a year. Ours is a few years old and pretty thread bare and you can see the ugly green couch underneath in places (nice shape, ugly color/pattern) . I WANT a nice living room, I'm not talking showroom or fancy but something that doesn't look like it belongs to a college kid ya know? I found a cover I really like for like $80. I would slowly like to start making my living room look nice even if its just $10 a month, a pillow here, a lamp here, picture there. That kind of thing. Money is usually so desperately tight that reason is telling me to hold on to that GC and save it for NEEDS like TP, OTC meds, clothes, regular stuff were going to NEED and can't fit in the budget. I feel like I'm being irresponsible for buying a couch cover (or even considering it!) when I know come Feb were going to be out of diapers finally or when dd needs a new pair of shoes and there's no $. I feel guilty even thinking about spending money on a WANT. Its one thing to spend .50 on a candy bar but this is $80! I couple years ago I wouldn't have thought much about it but the past year has been really really hard and scary on me and made a major impact and now I've become a major penny pincher and I'm always worrying about money. Right now I'm freaked out becasue I owe a double gas bill becasue of a mistake I made last month and I have no idea where that extra $30 is going to come from.

Seriously?
#125 of 311 Old 12-19-2008, 05:24 AM

Satori, I cannot claim to be exactly where you are, but I do remember being super poor when i was a teenaged newlywed, and when my mom and dad split up. One thing that's important to remember, is that while saving that money for possible needs is an admirable thing to do, having a lovely home is SO important for your quality of life and your general outlook. I've always decorated on the cheap and by thrifting and what have you, but my home looks so warm and inviting, and looking at my surroundings makes me so happy and content. Just a thought, if it helps .
#126 of 311 Old 12-19-2008, 10:39 PM

Hi Mommas! I'm new to this thread.

My husband and I are expecting our first child in February. I'm not a SAHM yet, but I will be when that happens, at least for a period of time. I have both medicaid and WIC, though I only use part of WIC because I won't eat regular milk and eggs, too picky/read too much for my own good. We just applied for foodstamps today, I have to turn in a verification of earned income which luckily I got my employer to fill out when I came in today. I'll be dropping it off Monday and then waiting till I hear back from them. Cross your fingers please and send me some:!!

We need the foodstamps so badly. My employer keeps cutting my hours unexpectedly and as such I don't even know how we're going to pay our bills in the next few weeks, much less eat! My DH is looking for a second/better job, but the economy sucks and the unemployment rate is even higher in Ga than in the rest of the country. I am so overwhelmed by all of this, I'm thankful that family/friends are coming through as far as baby stuff goes because we can't afford anything. Christmas is next week and I wish I could just pretend otherwise, I don't want presents, and I can't afford to give any. Yarrrr. Mantra: this is not permanent, this is not permanent, things will improve!!! Ooof. Enough of a rant. Im usually better about handling this but I just did the budget and it didn't look pretty.
#127 of 311 Old 12-19-2008, 11:20 PM

Hi! I'm new here too. My husband and I are expecting our first baby this summer and I just applied for WIC today. I'm a teacher and DH is starting a business that is not yet making any income or profit (we didn't expect it to right away, and hopefully it will soon so not a huge worry yet). WIC was kind of unclear about how to report his income when he does start earning-do I need to report when his business has any income, or when his business has any profit, or when his business has enough profit to pay him any amount of salary??? It is an LLC (legally is more seperate than self-employment as in a sole proprietorship); he owns a certain percentage of it with a business partner. I'll just play it safe and report anything at my next appt. but they seemed to be a bit confused by it. I'll play it safe and report any type of income and ask if it "counts".

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#128 of 311 Old 12-20-2008, 12:48 AM

If I am going to reapply for foodstamps/medicaid/tanf (that I am entitled to, if my caseworker wasnt such a UA violation Do I have to completley start over again (cause i've been struggling latley and those documents are all over the place again) or do they already have the stuff I gave them and I just need to get the additional stuff to them?
#129 of 311 Old 12-20-2008, 09:56 PM

That depends on whether or not your worker has misplaced them all. I would bring along ALL of the information again just to be safe. If its been more than 30 days, you will new income information as well.

GOOD luck
Chandi

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#130 of 311 Old 12-20-2008, 11:30 PM

if you can get a bakery cake on foodstamps? I just completely ruined DD's birthday cake that someone had made for her, that she was/is *so* excited about (I don't think she knows it's ruined.) and I want her to still have the special birthday cake we've been telling her about for a week. Does anyone know? Thanks!

sleeping.gifMama to DD dust.gif(12.2005), DS1 sleepytime.gif (01.2009), DS2 babyboy.gif (04.28.2013) with DH heartbeat.gif04.10.13!!heartbeat.gif namaste.gif

#131 of 311 Old 12-20-2008, 11:35 PM

So I had a lovely experience at the dept. of human services this week :
I went in on thursday with the form they sent me in the mail, ready to have my "interview" and all that. I did exactly what they told me to do. After waiting for two and a half hours, they told me that I shouldn't have filled out that form and that because of that I wasn't given an appointment for the day. The lady said if I wanted to be seen the next day at a decent time, to come in sometime between 5:30-6 AM.
So we woke up the next day at 5 and got seen by someone at 8:30. She told us we'll know if we qualified in a week. I am praying that those food stamps come in ASAP! My DD started eating random objects today and I called my dietician (family friend who never charges, God bless her!) and she said it's because my DD isn't getting enough nutrients With all of her allergies, not having the money to give her a well-balanced diet is just too hard.

Satori- I totally understand the struggle! In the past when we've had just a liiitttle bit more money, I would do things like that for myself/our family because it really did make such a difference in how I felt that it was worth it. I think you do need to weigh your feelings about this...if you won't be able to enjoy the cover because you feel so guilty, then don't get it. But if it is a pick-me-up that you need to get through this hard time, I don't think there is a problem with that! Also, whenever I did buy things for myself that were a bit more $, I'd purposely sell something/things that we didn't need to help offset the cost so I wouldn't feel as bad.

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
#132 of 311 Old 12-21-2008, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

It's great to see all these new faces! Transformed, let us know how it goes -- here's to hoping they've finally got their stuff together.

clicksab -- Let us know what you hear, too! I hope you'll have some help soon!

#133 of 311 Old 12-22-2008, 04:13 PM

I just wanted to post to say that I got my medicaid eligibility letter today! I am soooo happy we won't have to worry about we'll cover our co-pays, deductibles, and prescriptions this time. Last time we paid several thousand dollars and paid on it until recently (finally got it paid off!), so this is truly a blessing. I won't feel so bad about all the testing and such they'll be requiring since I am high risk at this point (well if they diagnose diabetes again ). Only bad thing is my OB won't accept medicaid as a secondary insurance, so we'll have to pay them still However, my coverage states a one time co-pay of $25 and the rest is covered 100%. I hope it really comes to that. $25 I can handle!
#134 of 311 Old 12-22-2008, 11:16 PM

I am so worried. I just spoke with the woman at our state's childcare resource center and I found out that money for childcare subsidy is being cut starting January first. I am starting my new job at the end of January (my first out side of the home requiring childcare costs since DS was born) and the very thing I am going to be relying on in order to work is being cut pretty drastically.

They are cutting the program that helps the lowest income bracket parents make up the difference between what subsidy covers and what childcare actually costs. Subsidy generally only covers a small portion of the cost and the lowest of the low income parents can apply for a variance which is extra money from the state to help with the cost of childcare. Pretty much all of the variance money is drying up next year.

I just can't understand why this of all programs is being cut. If people can't afford childcare, how are they going to be able to work? How are the childcare providers who rely on subsidy going to be able to keep the kids in their programs if the amount they are being paid drastically decreases? Why one earth would our state think that it is ok to cut funding from the very poorest of the working poor? I am stunned and very frightened at the implications of this. I may call our local news stations and newspapers tomorrow. I don't think they really have thought of how far reaching this could be. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

On a personal note, I am so scared that I will not be able to keep my new job. I will have to pay preschool tuition every day that I work, and if I cannot receive enough subsidy to cover it, I will literally be working for his tuition and not bringing home a paycheck. It wouldn't even be worth working if that were the case. Granted, he needs to be in a place like that, but I just can't figure out how this makes any sense.

Sorry to ramble on like this, but I had to get it out somewhere...

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#135 of 311 Old 12-23-2008, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Aww, pumpkin pie, is there any way to get into headstart? I'm pretty sure that is a free or low cost option. I've known many mommies that have used headstart and really enjoyed it not just for the daycare but for the interaction and education their children recieved.

As for me, my daughter was born on December 17th. YAY! We're home, and recovering nicely. I have contacted WIC and I have an appointment next Monday morning, which is such a relief because unexpectedly I'm now formula feeding (sad, but a different subject...) and really need the help. I've also contacted social services about my case, but I haven't heard back from anyone yet. I'm thinking of calling again, even though technically you're not supposed to. (I guess it's okay if they forget you then? ERgh. I'm sure they're busy and all being so close to the holidays but still...) Since it was hubby calling for me yesterday I'll call today and act innocent, lol.
#136 of 311 Old 12-23-2008, 02:10 PM

Does anyone here know anything about the Healthy Start program? With my prior pregnancies I opted out of being screened for it. This time I opted in to see what it was about, not expecting to be offered to participate. Well, I got a letter saying I could participate if I wanted to, but I'm not sure what they do...
#137 of 311 Old 12-23-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations, happyhats!::::::::

#138 of 311 Old 12-23-2008, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Pumpkin_Pie -- Do you think your new job might be open to giving your son a discount?

#139 of 311 Old 12-23-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
Aww, pumpkin pie, is there any way to get into headstart? I'm pretty sure that is a free or low cost option. I've known many mommies that have used headstart and really enjoyed it not just for the daycare but for the interaction and education their children recieved.
I am pretty sure he is still a little too young for a headstart type program, and the whole reason I was even applying at this center is because he could be with me and still nurse throughout the day while he was an extremely high quality program. If I put him in another program, he will not be able to nurse during the days that I am working, and we are pretty much night weaned at this point, so he would end up not nursing very much at all. I am not ready to wean at all, so I really don't feel like that is an option right now. I will do whatever we have to do, but I am so frustrated. I am just really hoping at this point that the director can work something out with me so that we can stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhats View Post
As for me, my daughter was born on December 17th. YAY! We're home, and recovering nicely. I have contacted WIC and I have an appointment next Monday morning, which is such a relief because unexpectedly I'm now formula feeding (sad, but a different subject...) and really need the help. I've also contacted social services about my case, but I haven't heard back from anyone yet. I'm thinking of calling again, even though technically you're not supposed to. (I guess it's okay if they forget you then? ERgh. I'm sure they're busy and all being so close to the holidays but still...) Since it was hubby calling for me yesterday I'll call today and act innocent, lol.
Congratulations on your new daughter! : I am so sorry that you had to use formula. It is expensive, and such a hassle. I hope you are able to get help with the cost of it through WIC soon. As for your worker not calling back, I would absolutely call them again. Why aren't you supposed to call if they do not call you back? That just doesn't seem right.

On another topic altogether.... I called my Medicaid office today and asked why I had not received a bill for December yet, and they said that I paid late in November, but not too late, just technically late and my worker did not reinstate my health insurance. : She had 10 days to get her paperwork in and she didn't do it, so even though I paid my premium for December's insurance (the November bill), I haven't technically had insurance for this whole month. Nice. She also said that if my worker doesn't get her paperwork in by the end of December, I won't have insurance for January either. When I tried to call her today, I couldn't even leave a message as her mailbox was full. I could go down to the office tomorrow and sit there all day to get a first come first served appointment, but that is REALLY not how I want to spend my Christmas Eve with my son. I am so, so, so ticked off right now at the system. Don't get me wrong, I am so insanely happy that this system is here for us, I just am so irritated at the places that people can fall through the cracks.

#140 of 311 Old 12-31-2008, 03:37 AM

Anyone still around?!

Just wanted to let you guys know that we got approved for food stamps and my DD got her Tenncare card in the mail! I'm now trying to find a doc that will accept tenncare and not hassle me about delaying vax's and extended bfing. We haven't gotten the actual card for our foodstamps, which is driving me nuts, but they are giving us enough to easily pay for all of the food we need!!! I am just so relieved!

On the other hand, I've also had horrible news this week. We've lost our baby : And I'm dreading having to call tenncare and wic to let them know...it's hard enough having to tell friends and family who love and support you. I have no idea how it's going to be calling government offices about something so personal. I also don't know if this means I'll be immediately taken off tenncare or if they'll deduct some from our foodstamps. The midwives want to see me again in a few weeks, so I'm hoping they will at least cover everything for that. And I already have my wic checks through march, so I don't know if I have to go in and give them back or what. Ugh, it just seems like too much to deal with so I keep putting it off!

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
#141 of 311 Old 12-31-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicksab View Post
Anyone still around?!

Just wanted to let you guys know that we got approved for food stamps and my DD got her Tenncare card in the mail! I'm now trying to find a doc that will accept tenncare and not hassle me about delaying vax's and extended bfing. We haven't gotten the actual card for our foodstamps, which is driving me nuts, but they are giving us enough to easily pay for all of the food we need!!! I am just so relieved!

On the other hand, I've also had horrible news this week. We've lost our baby : And I'm dreading having to call tenncare and wic to let them know...it's hard enough having to tell friends and family who love and support you. I have no idea how it's going to be calling government offices about something so personal. I also don't know if this means I'll be immediately taken off tenncare or if they'll deduct some from our foodstamps. The midwives want to see me again in a few weeks, so I'm hoping they will at least cover everything for that. And I already have my wic checks through march, so I don't know if I have to go in and give them back or what. Ugh, it just seems like too much to deal with so I keep putting it off!
*hugs* loss is hard, I have more losses then I care to admit Wic will continue for 3-6 months so don't worry about calling them, just tell them when you go in, they will want an iron check on you at that point. Your FS will not be effected since they don't change them until the person is outside your body, they don't count pregnancy as a reason to up the FS even though you need to eat more while prego.

*hugs* hang in there, life will get better I promise

Seriously?
#142 of 311 Old 12-31-2008, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

clicksab -- I'm so sorry for your loss!

#143 of 311 Old 01-01-2009, 12:49 AM

Clicksab, I am so very, very sorry for the loss of your little one. I have lost two and it was just so horrible.

On a good note, I received a letter yesterday from my worker saying that my healthcare insurance was reinstated retroactive to December 1, but it didn't mention anything about January. I am pretty sure I need to pay a premium, and now that it will be January as of tomorrow, I will no longer have insurance once again. *sigh* I will need to call again to ask them what on earth I need to do now.

I also received a letter in the mail saying that I have an appointment for an interviewer for cash assistance for once I start working at the preschool. I start at the preschool on January 19, and my interview is January 15. Talk about cutting it close! I am feeling so badly that I will have to take a day off from doing childcare for the little boy that I watch on his next to last day with me, but I really need to go to that appointment. It is supposed to last at least two hours according to the letter I received, so I will need to find childcare as well. *sigh again*

I am so excited to have a little breathing room though. If this goes through, they will help with car repairs as well. Both of my headlights just burned out, and I only have high beams. It is a little scary driving at night now. Everyone flashes their high beams at me, and I know it is not legal to have no regular headlights. I am just trying to not drive after dark, which is hard when it is dark by 4:30. The car repair amount is up to $900 per incident, so hopefully all will go through and I will be able to get my car fixed in time to start my new job.

#144 of 311 Old 01-01-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Pumpkin_Pie -- I hope everything goes well regarding your car repairs and insurance!

What have you been able to work out re: your son's tuition?

#145 of 311 Old 01-01-2009, 04:43 PM

I just found 3 WIC coupons that expired last month. I had put them in with my January ones and didn't know I had it.

Do you think WIC will let me exchange it for new coupons?

It explains why I had to buy food out of pocket the last week. Ugh.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#146 of 311 Old 01-02-2009, 11:32 AM

I just want to cry right now. My computer is dying, my car died last night and my son broke my glasses this morning. . I can't get my car fixed until I go to my appointment with the state on the 16th, and I can't get to the appointment without my car. I can't start my job without my car, and my job starts on the 19th. I can't afford to fix the car, because it is a super expensive brake job, which might not even be totally covered by the state program. There is a chance I can make it to the appointment without my car, but I will have to take the bus with two toddlers, a stroller and two diaper bags. One toddler will be dropped off at a friend's house, and then I will need to walk about a half hour in what will most likely be sub freezing temps with the other toddler in the stroller.

Last night, I nearly lost my brakes on my car. I was driving and when I went to hit the breaks, they didn't catch until I had the pedal slammed all the way down to the floor, and then only very slowly did my car stop. I was never more terrified in my life. My son was in the back seat, and I honestly thought we were both going to die. I am pretty sure there is a leak in my gas line near my left rear tire. Gah....... I just want to crawl into a hole and stay there until spring....

#147 of 311 Old 01-02-2009, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
sounds like there are a lot of mamas on here having trouble. i know the feeling.

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#148 of 311 Old 01-02-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
I just want to cry right now. My computer is dying, my car died last night and my son broke my glasses this morning. . I can't get my car fixed until I go to my appointment with the state on the 16th, and I can't get to the appointment without my car. I can't start my job without my car, and my job starts on the 19th. I can't afford to fix the car, because it is a super expensive brake job, which might not even be totally covered by the state program. There is a chance I can make it to the appointment without my car, but I will have to take the bus with two toddlers, a stroller and two diaper bags. One toddler will be dropped off at a friend's house, and then I will need to walk about a half hour in what will most likely be sub freezing temps with the other toddler in the stroller.

Last night, I nearly lost my brakes on my car. I was driving and when I went to hit the breaks, they didn't catch until I had the pedal slammed all the way down to the floor, and then only very slowly did my car stop. I was never more terrified in my life. My son was in the back seat, and I honestly thought we were both going to die. I am pretty sure there is a leak in my gas line near my left rear tire. Gah....... I just want to crawl into a hole and stay there until spring....
*hugs* I'd want to cry too Is there any possibility of someone picking you up and giving you a ride? What about someone coming to you to watch the kids or picking the kids up while you take the bus? Someone posted a link over in the HH helper forum where you can get $8 glasses online, might be worth looking into.

Just remember, as corny as it sounds, its always darkest before the light, the sun will rise and everything will be fine but right now its 4am for you and it seems like dawn will never come but it will *Hugs* hang in there! It will work out some way!

Seriously?
#149 of 311 Old 01-02-2009, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
*hugs* I'd want to cry too Is there any possibility of someone picking you up and giving you a ride? What about someone coming to you to watch the kids or picking the kids up while you take the bus? Someone posted a link over in the HH helper forum where you can get $8 glasses online, might be worth looking into.

Just remember, as corny as it sounds, its always darkest before the light, the sun will rise and everything will be fine but right now its 4am for you and it seems like dawn will never come but it will *Hugs* hang in there! It will work out some way!
Yes to this!

#150 of 311 Old 01-02-2009, 06:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I'm trying to decide whether I can apply for food stamps. I really need them but I'm so afraid it might jeopardize my foster daughter's placement. She's completely cared for but our finances are much tighter than I realized due to some unexpected emergencies. I guess I'll get the application on Monday and then go from there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page