Fall/Winter Parents Using Public Assistance-Support Only! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2009, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
I am so dreading doing my taxes. I wonder if there is any way to get financial assistance with getting them done? I have to file as a small business, which disqualified me last year, but even doing them using Turbo Tax ended up costing me $99 for the small business edition.
Well, I got a letter from DHS telling me that we qualify for tax help and they gave me the name of who could help. Maybe call your DHS office and ask. Also, shouldn't you get an Earned Income Tax Credit for last year! You definitely are under the income maximum! Here's a link: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...=96406,00.html

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2009, 04:29 PM

I should have clarified a little. $50 is no problem at all for us...when we have something in our pantry. This time, our pantry is pretty much gone, and I was including some other non-food necessities in that $50. I know FS wouldn't cover that, but throwing that into our $50/over a week budget this time, with everything having to be bought, and I was cringing.

Usually, we have a full pantry and I keep up really well on it. This month...not so much.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingMama View Post
Well, I got a letter from DHS telling me that we qualify for tax help and they gave me the name of who could help. Maybe call your DHS office and ask. Also, shouldn't you get an Earned Income Tax Credit for last year! You definitely are under the income maximum! Here's a link: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/artic...=96406,00.html
Holy Smokes! I just did the EITC online calculator, and even entering very low estimates, I am potentially eligible for $2,700! How in the heck does that work??? I didn't pay in any taxes last year??? Where does the money come from, and do I have to pay it back? Maybe I am just completely ignorant, but that just doesn't sound right. If it is though, I HAVE to get my taxes done ASAP and my freaking car fixed!

On a somewhat sad note, I just got the estimate for my stupid car.... It is going to cost nearly $600 to fix the dang thing. I looked up the blue book value, and it is only worth about $3000. I can't decide if I should fix it and drive it as little as possible, or ditch it and try to find something a bit newer. I don't have much extra cash for a car payment, and I unfortunately have bad credit and can't get a car loan currently. I just don't know what I am going to do. I hate when cars start getting old and needing expensive repairs. This is the first big repair that it has ever needed though, so maybe I will keep it. It is a 98 Honda Civic if anyone has any opinions.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 01-30-2009, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Holy Smokes! I just did the EITC online calculator, and even entering very low estimates, I am potentially eligible for $2,700! How in the heck does that work??? I didn't pay in any taxes last year??? Where does the money come from, and do I have to pay it back? Maybe I am just completely ignorant, but that just doesn't sound right. If it is though, I HAVE to get my taxes done ASAP and my freaking car fixed!

On a somewhat sad note, I just got the estimate for my stupid car.... It is going to cost nearly $600 to fix the dang thing. I looked up the blue book value, and it is only worth about $3000. I can't decide if I should fix it and drive it as little as possible, or ditch it and try to find something a bit newer. I don't have much extra cash for a car payment, and I unfortunately have bad credit and can't get a car loan currently. I just don't know what I am going to do. I hate when cars start getting old and needing expensive repairs. This is the first big repair that it has ever needed though, so maybe I will keep it. It is a 98 Honda Civic if anyone has any opinions.
Its called EIC and the child tax credit! No you won't have to pay it back either. Go file! If your return is accepted by 11am tomorrow you can get your return direct deposited Feb 9th! You can see the refund schedule here http://www.efile.com/tax-refund/where%27s-my-refund.asp

eta: Its a 98? How many miles does it have? Mines a 2004 Saturn Ion 2 with 102k miles on it and I'm debating getting rid of it due to the sheer amount of money I'm going to have to put out soon for repairs and maintenance. I've been afraid to call the dealer and ask how much the 100k mile tune up is going to cost: (btw, NEVER buy Saturn! to much proprietary stuff in there cars to you HAVE to take it to the dealer)

Seriously?
Old 01-30-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Its called EIC and the child tax credit! No you won't have to pay it back either. Go file! If your return is accepted by 11am tomorrow you can get your return direct deposited Feb 9th! You can see the refund schedule here http://www.efile.com/tax-refund/where%27s-my-refund.asp

eta: Its a 98? How many miles does it have? Mines a 2004 Saturn Ion 2 with 102k miles on it and I'm debating getting rid of it due to the sheer amount of money I'm going to have to put out soon for repairs and maintenance. I've been afraid to call the dealer and ask how much the 100k mile tune up is going to cost: (btw, NEVER buy Saturn! to much proprietary stuff in there cars to you HAVE to take it to the dealer)
Yowza! There is no way I can get my taxes done before this weekend at the absolute earliest, but I am going to work on finding a place that will help me with them today on my break at work.

Good to know about Saturns, I will definitely stay away from them. I am thinking I am going to keep this car for now, pay the repair, and then ditch it the next time it dies, and try like heck to build up some savings between now and then to put towards a new (to me) car then. BTW, it has 147K miles, but I have heard of Honda's going easily to 200K or even 300K, so I think it should still have some life left in it. *crosses fingers*

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
Old 01-30-2009, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I've had two Saturns and loved them. I now have a 97 Civic which is on it's last legs. I haven't taken great care of it though and bought it used.

Kim, how did you not pay taxes last year? Did you have earned, reportable, income? Was it just that your income was really low? I think that factors into whether you qualify for the EITC.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:42 PM

I think pumpkin pie said something in another post about being sslf employed as a childcare provider most or all of last year and that is how she did not pay any taxes in- but with as little as one can make doing that the gov probably wouldn't have taken out tha tmuch in taxes anyways hence way she still gets the EIC and a tax return!

Pumpkinpie- i went to a big name tax place to have my taxes done.Yes it was a rip off (I paid about 300 for it all-but got the my tax returns the next day- a loan on my return which goes directly to the bank-and I paid nothing up front all teh fees were taken out of my refund) but I needed the money (we have car issues too) and getting 3700 instead of 4000 right a way helped us save that much but not missing work and such. You can also just walk in and have it done- but expect to wait a little while or call and make an appt.

As for your car- it sounds like you've decided to keep it but I was going to advise that so ok.Honda's are really good cars and its only 10 years old so if you keep up on maintance it should last you AT LEAST 5 more years and they have a good resale value.

I'm glad to hear things are looking up for you!:
Old 01-30-2009, 02:24 PM

If you do your taxes through an online site, you can get your refund direct deposited within a week. If they charge you, like 29.00 for turbo tax, you can have the fee directly taken out of your refund. We have done this in the past. I know that many sites will do it free online for lower income people.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
If you do your taxes through an online site, you can get your refund direct deposited within a week. If they charge you, like 29.00 for turbo tax, you can have the fee directly taken out of your refund. We have done this in the past. I know that many sites will do it free online for lower income people.

Its free for a 1040 or 1040A, she will need to file a schedule C for self employment which they make you pay for. I have used H&R Blocks online thingy for a couple of years and have been happy with it.

Seriously?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Its free for a 1040 or 1040A, she will need to file a schedule C for self employment which they make you pay for. I have used H&R Blocks online thingy for a couple of years and have been happy with it.
Yep, the cheapest I found an online program for last year was $99 for TurboTax (I think). I am so no looking forward to paying the $99 this year. I remember last year that I could pay the $99 out of my return, but in order to do so, they charged me something like an extra $30. I didn't have the money up front, so I had to do it, which felt like a total rip off. I am going to try to figure something else out this year. Thankfully it is the last year that I have to file as self employed.

I was figuring that with as little as I brought home last year, that I won't owe the government much in the way of taxes, if anything. I meant that I hadn't been paying in all along when I said I didn't pay any taxes. I just didn't know what or if I should be sending in anything, and the mama who was paying me just wrote a check every two weeks. It sounds like even if I owe taxes on last years income, the EITC will more than cover that and I will still get a refund, which will come in handy.

To the above poster that said my car should last another 5 years if I take care of it, that is what I am hoping. I am thinking that once I get another big repair bill or two, I will ditch it, but seeing as how this really is the first big thing to go wrong, I am going to keep it for now, and just try to be more mindful about driving it.

On a totally different topic, but still relevant to this thread, I am so worried about my benefits. I talked to my boss today, and it looks like I will be keeping the hours that I have right now through the end of April, which puts me just over the limit for cash assistance (which I am fine with), but I still have to report everything each month. Once May gets here, I will only be working 10 hours a week, which will not be enough to receive cash assistance. I will need to be working at least 20 hours a week in order to receive help. I have no idea what on earth I am going to do then. Then when June gets here, my hours will go up to 40 hours a week or more. I am so freaking frustrated. I have no idea how I will survive on 10 hours a week without any extra help. I have been eligible for cash assistance for the past year and a half, but haven't used it, now that I will actually need it, I won't qualify because my son will be over 2 and once your child is that old, you have to work at least 20 hours a week in order to get help. May is going to be a super long month for us.....

Old 02-10-2009, 06:06 PM

I applied online for food stamps and medical, according to the online calculator for Washington state we qualified for 200.00 in fs. So I had a appt today and the case worker asked me how much my dh made per hour and if he worked 40 hrs and then immediately said we did not qualify for fs benefits he said we would be categorically eligible but our benefit would be zero. When I asked why the calculator said we would be eligible he just said the calculator is wrong. He did not ask to see any paperwork and did not ask me to sign anything. He just kept saying the application process took a long time and it would be a waste of time for both of us to go thru with the paperwork just to be told the benefit was nothing. So when I asked about medical he said "Oh I forgot you wanted medical too, you are eligible for that. Then he says in a few days you will get a med coupon in the mail. When I asked what it covered he said he didn't know I would have to call the # that comes in the mail to find out specifics.

Dh and I are not in desperate need of the food stamps but they would be helpful which is why we applied. Should I call and make him input all the info so I can be sure we don't qualify? Should I just let it go? I feel like he just blew me off and was almost discriminating against me because we make towards the upper limit of $. I didn't get his direct # or anything but his 1st name. Should I call the main office # and complain? How do I go about getting reevaluated?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 07:22 PM

4kidlets - My intake counselor told me, at first glance, that we wouldn't get food stamps either, and we ended up qualifying after he put all the numbers in.

As for my drama of the moment, I found out that because I'm still married, and we aren't filing taxes jointly, I don't qualify for the EITC (again), which would have REALLY helped out. I didn't qualify for it last year, nor did I get a stimulus check because of it either. I'm so ticked. Next year, we'll (knock on wood) be divorced, so I won't have this problem again. (I will also qualify for Medicaid as soon as I'm divorced. In the meantime...nada. He doesn't give me any money, for me or the kids, so I'm really ticked that I'm being penalized for still being married to the UAV.)

I'm also still on the hunt for decent, low-cost housing. There are new restricted income apartments that are just starting to be leased nearby, and they are almost $600/month for a 2 bedroom. Granted, the 2 bedrooms are huge, and they are nice and new, but I'm stretching it to pay $500 at the place we're probably going to end up at. For an income restricted apartment, that high of a rent (for my area) is crazy! (I'm sure it's cheap to some of you guys.)

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:35 AM

When we first applied, the lady said "Oh you'll prob get 10-15 dollars" but when she put the numbers in we got $70. Def. better then $10. It has since been raised twice even with no change in income thought the last one was because of our new baby. But every little bit helps. I'd go back and retry, if you wanted.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:41 PM

I got my FS card in the mail yesterday. I wish I didn't have to use them but I easily qualified. The application process was really cold. I'm used to a more nurturing style of SS worker but she was pretty formal. It didn't help that my toddler didn't want to stay in the tiny cubicle. And could see a box of cookies on the worker's shelf.

I had to include my foster daughter on the application even though I didn't want, or need, to. We ended up qualifying for $355 a month, which is way more than I've ever spent on food (without having a party.) And I got a partial month for January so the card's fully loaded.

I went to the store last evening. It's nice to be stocked up and the card was so easy to use. No one really has to know that you are using FS, which I really like.

My car is in the shop for the third time since Christmas. The last time was last WEEK. I so wish I was working so that I could buy a new (used) one. This is getting ridiculous.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:56 PM

4kidlets- INSIST on going thru the FS application process. Not to knock social workers at all, but FS regulations are intensely byzantine, and change all the time. APPLY. FS and Medicaid are relatively easy to get if you have kids, and the income limits are often more generous than what people (incl. social workers) think.

PumpkinPie- call St. Vincent de Paul, or a similar charitable organization. Many of them have in house social workers, and, in any case, they will probably be familiar with the unique weirdness of your state's assistance program. Because you are working now, and you will be full time come June, they will probably bend over backward to help you out- their whole mission is to help people on the transition to self support.

Also, if you are going to get $2700 back from your EIC, and it will cost $600 to fix your car, that's $2100, which you could use to pay ahead on your rent, and/or you could be able to hoard at least half of to get you through May. So you may be able to do this on your own.

Best of luck to both of you!

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Yowza! There is no way I can get my taxes done before this weekend at the absolute earliest, but I am going to work on finding a place that will help me with them today on my break at work.

Good to know about Saturns, I will definitely stay away from them. I am thinking I am going to keep this car for now, pay the repair, and then ditch it the next time it dies, and try like heck to build up some savings between now and then to put towards a new (to me) car then. BTW, it has 147K miles, but I have heard of Honda's going easily to 200K or even 300K, so I think it should still have some life left in it. *crosses fingers*
Our Honda went to over 280,000. It still has a good motor/engine, but needs some fairly major work done on other areas. Its been parked for a few months now.

Nicole - Mom to FOUR healthy, happy, wild boys.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hi, it's good to see all the recent activity here -- and I'm glad that new people are seeing this thread and coming here to both give and receive support. Welcome!

Well, dh has started having tremendous pain in his hands, and we're not sure if it's due to carpal tunnel syndrome or neuropathy related to his type 2 diabetes. The pain gets worst toward the end of his work-day, and his productivity really suffers.

He's been in a quandry -- he already has 25% disability due to a back injury he suffered several years ago when working unloading trucks, so he can no longer do any heavy lifting. After the injury, he got into technical phone support, which seemed like a great field (he was at Gateway for several years), until most of those jobs got out-sourced to India.

For the past 3 years, almost 4, he's been working for a company that handles conference calls for businesses. All of the positions require lots of data-entry. And he seriously can't think of any work he can do that wouldn't require data-entry, since he can't do lifting with the ruptured-disks in his back. He wonders what else there is???

Anyhow, the HR-lady at work told him that since his hand-problems affect his job, it's work-related, and could be handled by workman's comp. Which is a wonderful blessing, since we have no health insurance for ourselves (just the medicaid for the girls, so he has mainly been covered by hospital discounts whenever he's had to see a doctor for any of his various health issues).

He's had one appointment, and will go back next week so they can test to determine if it's carpal-tunnel or neuropathy. If carpal-tunnel, there may be surgery.

But now he is worried that the use of workman's comp may put him at the top of the list if there are any layoffs. I don't know ... I've told him that maybe this could actually help him keep his job -- both because it may help his health, and also because if it's determined that he does have any additional disability, maybe it could benefit the company more to keep him --

I know that sounds rather backward, I hope no one thinks badly of me for saying it. I sure would rather my husband be healthy and not disabled. But my dad worked for Social Security for a number of years, and had cerebral palsy.

When I was young, he had a nervous breakdown due to getting stressed trying for promotion. And his supervisor came to see him in the hospital, and told him he didn't need to stress anymore, because he was never getting promotion, because the only levels above his current grade were supervisory, and he just didn't get along with people well enough to be a supervisor --

So he told Dad to quit working all the overtime, it was never going to get him anywhere -- but at the same time he assured Dad that his job was absolutely secure, and nothing could ever make him get fired, because of his disabled status. So, after that, Dad started using up all of his sick days every month, and never worked any more overtime. And was way less stressed.

With this in mind, I'm wondering if a higher degree of disability could actually help dh in the current economy. AGAIN -- I'm not saying I'd choose disability over health. But since his health issues (and his age -- 51) seem to be narrowing his wiggle-room, for finding a way to support us regardless of the economy, it could be a help if he had some "status" that might give him a little preferential treatment.

Is it bad for me to feel this way? I'm not really wanting to "capitalize" on our problems -- I just want us to make it through this depression without having to lose our home, and without dh having to go through unemployment again.

He has survived unemployment before, but the older he gets, the harder and scarier it is to contemplate.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
Old 02-11-2009, 09:50 PM

So, I was wondering if anyone had heard of the food stamp program getting a big boost with the economic stimulus package that is going through right now? I just went to our local food pantry, and was interviewed about it for a local news station. I didn't even know that it was part of the new stimulus.

Anyone heard this?

Old 02-12-2009, 01:43 AM

I heard a little while back, but didn't know how much. If the places I googled are right 20 billion will go to the food stamp program and it also said that the max year limit will be extended.
I didn't know there was a limit. How much is it?

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:54 AM

DH just got back pay owed him from his former company, and he also got payment for a contract job he did for them on the side. He was FT employed by his former company up until about a month ago, but since losing his job he's taking whatever self-employment opportunities he can get (not much so far, but still). Unemployment hasn't sent us a check yet (we applied but apparently they are really backed up).

When DH got laid off we applied and qualified for food stamps. So I called my worker yesterday to tell him about the back pay and the payment for contract work. He kept telling me that this one-time income wouldn't make a difference in our qualification and doesn't matter.

I have a small job, working for a friend, and he wanted me to get a signed statement saying that I have a job for X hours a week at X pay, but because I work on a week-by-week basis and it can vary, my friend won't sign anything for the government that implies a commitment. I don't blame them a bit - it seems backward that the gov't wants me to verify income rather than non-income, you know? Anyway, my worker finally said that we could put me in as self-employed. We are supposed to keep track of our hours and after a few months give him an average. But not until he asks us for it, and never mind that an average of odd jobs might be totally off the mark.

And then he said that I don't have to give him more income info unless he asks for it or we get "regular income" (which unemployment would be). It seems as if the system cannot handle recording earnings for one-time jobs. I am so confused by this. I fully expected our benefit to decrease for the month following the month we got paid in, but apparently not?

I wanted to make absolutely sure when I called him that I am fulfilling my legal obligation, because they make you sign a million things saying that you'll tell them if your income or savings changes, and I don't want anyone to come back and say "you didn't actually qualify for that much..." I wonder if I can take his word for it that I don't have to call him about getting pay for odd jobs.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? I guess I am just nervous about it because of all the things I signed. And it's the government, you know? I am doing what he told me to, but I worry that what he said isn't correct. He took the info about those two checks but he kept saying he didn't really need that info, like I was twisting his arm to take it or something!

I was on the phone with him for a really long time, which I felt bad about, but I had to keep asking him to explain and it still didn't seem right to me. I am new to this and I just want to make sure I am doing it right.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Old 02-15-2009, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Hello fellow assistance-receiving mamas! I never new this thread (or previous ones) existed.

My kids & I have been getting medical assistance since I was pregnant with Dd1 almost 10 yrs ago. During these 10 yrs, I've never been dropped. Is that unusual?

I applied for FS a year ago & got approved for $377/month & it has since gone up to about $400 for my 3 kids & me.

I wish I'd applied for FS long before then as I had SO much trouble making ends meet & feeding us. That first trip to the market was like a dream - we bought so much fresh produce!!

I had WIC when Dd1 was little but hated the limitations. We all react to pasteurized dairy & Ds & I can't eat gluten, so we were really limited in what we could use if we had WIC. FS work so much better for us because we can buy raw dairy & whole foods that I know are free of allergens.

SO, we live with my folks, always have. I get $574/month in CS from ex-dp & occasionally make a little money babysitting, but there are still plenty of days/weeks/months when we can't go anywhere because we don't have money for gas.

Since Ds going to be 3 years old next month, I finally feel like I'm in a position to work outside the home. BUT, I'm afraid that we're going to end up more strapped than we already are if we lose benefits.

Does anyone know how this would affect our medical assistance & FS? We don't have CHIP or Adult Basics, just straight medical assistance.

My parents are in bad financial shape & I'm afraid of not having a roof over our heads. Lately I've been thinking about Habitat for Humanity, but I need to have a job.

Has anyone here applied for a HfH house? Or any other type of housing assistance? I've never owned a home & I have spotless, excellent credit. It's the lack of income that is the problem.

I feel very lucky to have received medical coverage for the last decade & am very much afraid of losing it if I work. I only intend to work 20 hours a week maximum because I want to continue homeschooling & I don't think my Mom could watch them for any longer. Ideally, I'd like to find a job early in the morning so that the kids would sleep through most of my absence.

Thanks for reading.

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 02-15-2009, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
subbing

Homeschoolin' Mama chicken3.gifto Dd1 2/3/00, Dd2 1/13/03, Ds1 3/11/06 & Ds2 11/18/10!!
Old 02-15-2009, 05:34 PM

I hope y'all don't mind. I'm considering applying for Food Stamps, but I have some questions. I WOHM Full-time but I don't make much, especially after insurance premiums are taken out, and after all bills are paid there's little left for food. I know that I qualify for Food Stamps(Utah has an online calculator you can punch your info into and see what you'd qualify for) but before I apply I just want to know..

1. Will Food Stamps pay for Formula? Luke is on a toddler formula per DR's orders because the DR feels that he isn't gaining properly, so we supplement his table foods with a bottle of formula 2-3x daily.

2. Is it a use it or lose it situation or can you carry over a balance from month to month? I really cannot imagine how Luke and I would spend that much $ on food each month, but I don't want to be wasteful by losing $ that could have been used by someone else.

We aren't in dire straights by any means, but having FS would mean life wouldn't always be so tight. We literally live paycheck to paycheck.

Mama to 01/2008 and anxiously awaiting due July 2011
Old 02-15-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Crunch View Post
I hope y'all don't mind. I'm considering applying for Food Stamps, but I have some questions. I WOHM Full-time but I don't make much, especially after insurance premiums are taken out, and after all bills are paid there's little left for food. I know that I qualify for Food Stamps(Utah has an online calculator you can punch your info into and see what you'd qualify for) but before I apply I just want to know..

1. Will Food Stamps pay for Formula? Luke is on a toddler formula per DR's orders because the DR feels that he isn't gaining properly, so we supplement his table foods with a bottle of formula 2-3x daily.

Absolutely... you can purchase any food or drink items excluding alcohol, vitamins and hot meals/trays to go.

Quote:
2. Is it a use it or lose it situation or can you carry over a balance from month to month? I really cannot imagine how Luke and I would spend that much $ on food each month, but I don't want to be wasteful by losing $ that could have been used by someone else.
The benefits are yours to keep, there is no time limit. If you haven't used any of your benefits in several months I think they send you out a letter or something to see if you still want them, but they won't remove them.

Quote:
We aren't in dire straights by any means, but having FS would mean life would always be so tight. We literally live paycheck to paycheck.
no shame in needing some help -- I am *so* grateful for foodstamps... I can offer whole foods, organics and fruits and veggies to my kids rather than scrape by on beans and rice etc. along with WIC it has really been a huge blessing for my children and I. Get your food stamps and try to save what you would normally spend on food -- living paycheck to paycheck is so stressful, especially in these uncertain times.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:51 PM

I was told that I need to use food stamp funds within three months.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
Old 02-15-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyamanda View Post
I was told that I need to use food stamp funds within three months.
From the federal website:

Quote:
18. Do I have to use all my SNAP benefits up in the month that I receive them, or will they be carried over into the next month?

Any benefits that you have remaining in your SNAP EBT account at the end of the month WILL be carried over into the next month. However, if you have not used your EBT card at all for one year, the State will permanently remove your SNAP benefits from your EBT account.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Crunch View Post

We aren't in dire straights by any means, but having FS would mean life wouldn't always be so tight. We literally live paycheck to paycheck.
If you are working, you probably won't qualify for a large amount of FS. It probably won't be hard for you to use all of your benefits.

You should also see if you qualify for WIC. They won't pay for formula after a year but they might pay for Pediasure.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Our foodstamps are gone in the first 2 weeks of every month. We get $270 a month for a family of four, but they don't count dh because he is not a citizen yet. I find it incredibly hard to make ends meet. We have a lot of cc debt and with the min payments on those we have no money for anything, but the State doesn't take into account your personal debt, which I agree they shouldn't. If we didn't have cc debt we would be so much better off.

Dh makes $1900 a month before taxes and I am a SAHM. Last year I supported the family while dh was job-hunting by selling off everything I owned on ebay and we were pulling in $1500 a month. We got $460 in foodstamps. Then we started making $400 more a month and our FS went down by $200, but it is winter too and our heating bills are almost $200 a month. I was under the impression that as long as we were under the $2200 a month income limit, we would get the full amount but it doesn't work that way apparently.

I seriously don't know what we'd do without FS. I have been job-hunting for months. Dh works 6am - 3pm so was looking for a 3-12 shift so he could stay home with the kids and have found nothing. To work part-time would be tough because if i pulled in anymore than $300 a month, we would lose the FS benefits. It's not a matter of personal pride to work and make so little and lose benefits and be away from your very young children, kwim? I don't want to be on FS forever but nor do I want to go out and work evening for $8 an hour only to lose the FS. It's quite a dilemma. If I could find a decent full-time job then it would be worth it.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:48 PM

I've posted before about us not being eligible for FS due to assets, but seeing some of these amounts here, I wonder how we could seriously not qualify I'm in Florida and I've been using the "Do you qualify for any help?" on the state calculator. DH is being laid off in March and after severance we'll be depending on unemployment and whatever I can scrape in until DH finds another job (unless he finds something soon!). The MAX UE benefits in Florida is $1100 per month That's about half of what he brings in now. Obviously, we don't qualify now, and don't need it, but at that point I really thought we would. For the calculators, I'm putting in what our situation may be at that point.... $1100 in UE, plus an additional child, so a family of 5. He does have a small 401K (I think he said if he cashed it out, that after all penalties it would be worth $3K-$4K for us) and we are paying on his truck which is worth more than the asset limits (but we are upside down on the loan now, so selling wouldn't help immediately and we have to have 2 vehicles living rurally). But seriously, a family of 5 bringing in $1100/month and we won't qualify? Any suggestions? (other than selling the truck. DH will need it to job hunt and eventually go to work again. I have to have a car (it's worth pretty well nothing now) for doctor's appts and taking DS to school).
Old 02-15-2009, 08:52 PM

And I am honestly just trying to know what our options will be if it comes to the point that we need this help. I really hope DH gets a decent job much sooner (he has an interview at the end of the month!) because I'd rather us be able to do it ourselves. I just can't understand why we wouldn't qualify for at least short term help

User Tag List