MBT Shoes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-07-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have MBT shoes? They are a serious investment; I've NEVER spent even half that on one pair of shoes.

However, I teach and am on my feet 6 straight hours a day. My back is starting to hurt, even though I'm also a runner. I've already worn out the loafers I bought at the beginning of the school year ($50, at Target).

The store where I went to try them on said that they will replace the soles for me when they wear out...so that is another positive for the investment.

I can afford to pay cash for them next month after I get paid, but it will be $250 less that goes to the debt snowball. On the other hand, if I have to keep buying new shoes anyway, I would eventually spend the $$...

I don't know, something in me totally balks at laying out that kind of money for SHOES. But people who have them swear by them and rave about them.

Anyone have them? Hate them?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-07-2008, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't have them because I can't afford to pay that kind of money for shoes. Have you looked into Danskos though? They are about half the price and have been worn FOREVER by people that are on their feet a lot.
#3 of 11 Old 11-07-2008, 01:30 PM

Are these very different from Earth Shoes, which have a negative heel? Earth Shoes are pricey, but not as much as the pair you linked. I would second the Dansko's, and I also wonder about a great pair of cushioned running shoes, perhaps with an insert for extra support? My podiatrist always says that he would put everyone in wide, cushioned running shoes if he could.
#4 of 11 Old 11-07-2008, 01:42 PM

Sierra Trading Post is selling MBT shoes for $159 and they have an exceptionally good return policy.

Personally, I would not pay that money for an untried sole. I would have to be able to wear them for a full day to see if I could handle that sole. It is sooo radically different than what we're used to. I have a pair of Earth boots that I fortunately got as thirds (from Sierra TP, incidentally!) and I am so glad I didn't pay full price for them. That negative heel drives me crazy.

I have the best luck with Born and Keen shoes.
#5 of 11 Old 11-07-2008, 03:47 PM

I love my Danskos- they wear well too. I have a pair of Earth clogs and while I like them, I wouldn't buy them for an everyday shoe. While I like the negative heel for around the house/short trips, the one time I wore them all day and walked a lot, I didn't care for them.
#6 of 11 Old 11-07-2008, 03:50 PM

A friend of mine has these exact shoes she is bartender with a bad knee, she really likes them they help her knee. If you have an injury like that they may be well worth the investment.

I personally LOVE Keens, they are the best shoes I have ever worn.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#7 of 11 Old 11-07-2008, 04:49 PM

I would try them if I was in pain.
Clarks and Rockport also have comfortable shoes.
#8 of 11 Old 11-07-2008, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the STP link, I may try that! The thing is, they also promote good posture and core alignment, which is something I tend to be lazy about. I suppose the "advertising point" for them is that in promoting the good alignment/core strength, it helps the back and leg pain disappear not just because the shoe is padded but also by addressing the root cause.

I don't know, I have to think about it. I wish there was a "trial period" guarantee. I know that's unrealistic, but it would make my decision less painful.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

#9 of 11 Old 11-07-2008, 07:40 PM

I've never tried them so I can't say.

My keens keep me on my feet all day with little visible wear and my feet don't hurt. I think it would matter how long you would keep them. Yes, I have shoes I've had for years - like my 8 year old birks. But - daily shoes I find around the 8 month mark, they don't have the same shock absorbency.
#10 of 11 Old 11-08-2008, 12:02 AM

You could buy them from Zappos and try them out around the house. They have a 365 day return policy...
#11 of 11 Old 11-08-2008, 07:27 AM

Another vote for the Danskos, but if you really want to try the MBTs, I think raingyrl's suggestion is great.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page