Anyone try, "Saving Dinner" by Leanne Ely? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-20-2008, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I finally decided to check this book out of our LLL's lending library. I am 9 wks pregnant, have bad m/s and have been vomiting. I know it will not go away after my 1st tri, b/c with my two prior pregnancies, it is like this all the way until I give birth, so I basically KNOW I am going to be stuck in this state for another six+ months.

Cooking is the last thing I want to do, but I think that if I use some sort of menu guide, so I don't have to worry about planning, that I will be able to try to muddle through this pregnancy w/o my family surviving on take out and processed foods. Have any of your tried this menu plan before? If so, I would love to hear about your experiences and any extra tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 07:40 PM

I got that book out of the library too, and liked it. I generally didn't follow her weekly plans to the letter -- I pick and chose more on the recipes, but then again, I've been meal planning for a while and don't have the stress of being pregnant! Some weeks I would follow all the recipes exactly, especially if doing so was money saving (using up all of a particular meat or veggie through the course of a week).

The one thing I really liked about her cookbook was that the recipes were grouped by season -- tasty, and less expensive! Almost everything I tried was simple to make and quite good. The crockpot recipes were especially nice!
Old 12-28-2008, 09:07 PM

I have the vegetarian version of her book "Saving Dinner the Vegetarian Way" and I really love it! She has everything grouped together well, plans for the whole week so you don't have to think if two meals are too similar to be eaten in close succession, and handy grocery lists so you know how much of everything to buy for the week.

One thing to keep in mind is that each recipe (at least in my version) is scaled to serve six. I have a family of four including one toddler and an infant, so this is a heck of a lot of food for us. Good thing DH doesn't mind leftovers (and each week of meal plan actually ends up lasting more like a week and a half to two weeks), but if you don't like leftovers you will need to scale everything back.

It's like having a really experienced food-preparer help you shop and cook your family's meals. She has good complete nutrition in mind with her plans, and the nutrition info is listed on each recipe (again, at least in the veggie version) so you know what you're getting. I recommend it highly.

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
Old 12-28-2008, 09:10 PM

Oh, just wanted to also note that the author's name is "Leanne Ely" not "Leanne Fly" like you have in your thread title... not sure if that was just a typo, but I thought it might make it tough to find it at your library if you had the wrong name.

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
Old 12-30-2008, 10:32 AM

The garlic lime chicken is awesome
also good are balsamic chicken,crockpot bbq beef,parmesan baked chicken(add 1/2 cup of cornmeal).
i'll come back later when I am awake more and tell you the others but I will say this.I don't follow her weekly menus but I reach for this book at least once a week.It is fantastic.When it first arrived in the mail I was alittle disappointed as I felt that the meals didn't sound great but when I sat down and really went through it,I found some mainstays for our house.

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01-02-2009, 07:29 PM

Well,I just finished my second helping of another great recipe find from the book.I wish that I had found it sooner
It is the crockpot italian chicken
This will be going on my menu every other week from now on.it took five minutes,tops,to prepare.

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 PM

I just checked out SD from the library! Tonight is the first recipe we're trying: Baked Macaroni with 3 Cheese Sauce. It's non-meat, depending on the pasta sauce you use.
The only problem I am having with this recipe is it says to use thinly sliced provolone. That is suppose to be mixed with grated romano and shredded mozzarella. Um, how can you mix sliced cheese?? And it's suppose to be in the middle of the layered pasta and the top. Ugh. It just seems a little wonky. I am going to just layer the provolone slices and put the shredded/grated either on top or underneath the provolone.

Just wondering if anyone's tried this recipe?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 AM

I actually just got it this week...we've done 2 of the 1st week winter meals (chicken skillet and stroganoff) neither was stellar, but both were ok. I'm hoping some of the others will be better! Loved the concept and shopping list though- it made planning very easy
Old 01-14-2009, 10:49 PM

Last night I made the Son of Manic Meatloaf from Leanne's freezer email recipes. It was ok. DS (7) liked it alot. DH said "it was alright." He's hard to impress. Said it was his favorite meatloaf. It was ok. But really, who uses thirds of teaspoons and tablespoons for measurements? That was weird. Just weird measurements.

Tonight we made the Orange-Thyme crockpot chicken from SD. DO NOT MAKE IT. It was disgusting! We all tossed it and I'm throwing cardboard pizzas in the oven. Poor DH. He was not expecting a sweet taste (from the sauce). LOL That shocked him. I was looking forward to a sweeter taste. Nope. There was a nasty aftertaste. Bitter! Quite a letdown, I'm afraid. The weirdest thing was it smelled like bacon all day it cooked!

I wish I had made the garlic lime chicken. I'm thinking of trying the crockpot beef sandwiches in the near future.

The 3 cheese baked macaroni dish was pretty good. I like creamy pasta sauce. Adding sour cream makes it taste so rich! DH said "it was pretty good." So I guess it's a keeper!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:02 PM

I like this cookbook, it's in my "top 5" I would say. I don't love all of her recipes but most are pretty good, a few are really excellent. At first we would go week by week, but now I usually just flip through and find something I like, mixing it up with my other recipes. One of the things I like is the division by seasons.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:33 PM

I use "Saving Dinner the Vegetarian Way" and really like it. I agree with the previous poster...some of the recipes are not very good, some are good, and some are great. For the "great" recipes, I make a double batch and freeze half. I love the shopping lists but I find that I don't usually use her recommendation for a side dish.

I agree with the other previous poster that the recipes make a lot of food. We are a family of two adults and one little baby. A recipe for six servings will last us a couple days, including lunches. Thankfully, my husband and I like leftovers!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:40 PM

I really like Saving Dinner and Saving Dinner the Low-Carb way. I didn't like the Saving Dinner for the Holidays book, though. I should start doing the Saving Dinner meals/shopping again... thanks for the reminder!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.

User Tag List