WHat I did today :) (aka making baby food for freezer -save money and feed those babies!) -jump in - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 12-23-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well.. All Day Mamma's.. All Day in the kitchen.

My kids were with my in-laws today and my nanny was still scheduled -so she came by and kept me company and helped me a little bit. I made SO MUCH baby food.

Food I used:
Fresh Sweet Taters (one HUGE, one small) maybe 2.00
Fresh Bag of Baby Carrots .99
Fresh Zucchini (4) 1.99
Chick Peas .52
Frozen Spinach .89
Fresh Squash .99
Frozen Green Beans 1.00
Roasted Chicken maybe 3.00 worth
Barley -.99
Frozen Peaches 2.29

What I used:

Toaster oven (baked sweet taters)
Veggie Steamer
Kitchen Aid (with meat grinder attachment that I still had a wedding card on it and hadn't ever been used)
Crock Pot (used day before for chicken breasts)
4 Ice Cube Trays
2 Mini Muffin Tins
Muffin Tin
Deviled Egg Tray (held 12, worked really well for chicken because I wanted smaller portions for meat)

What I did:
I didnt sit down literally for 4 hours +. I never stopped in the middle. I started with the sweet potatoes and baked them (pealed after I baked them) As those baked I steamed each veggie one by one. I did use the microwave for the spinach. As one finished -Id rinse the steamer out, refill and add another veggie. While each steamed I would grind the previous and rinse the kitchen-aid. I kept each puree in a separate bowl. The day before I had done a bunch of freezer cooking for family meals so I already had chicken roasted and ready to go.

I had enough trays/muffin tins to do everything all at once except for the barley and peaches. Those we froze after the first batch of things set.

I decided to do everything in whole purees instead of any particular combination so if my little one doesnt like something - I wont waste anything. My nanny who is totally not AP or natural was amazed at how good the food tasted vs baby food. She was eating/sampling it as we were pouring it.

So for less than 15.00 I got about 108 cubes of food and 6 huge muffins of dinner combination's . It was a lot, a lot of work. It really helped to rinse everything as soon as you are done with it. The food is really dense and I imagine will need to be thinned with breast milk, water, juice, or stocks. I also have a pretty small kitchen, so having bowls everywhere, the huge mixer out, the extra appliance out etc was a pain but it all worked out.

Im really proud of myself though. I busted butt. Financially things are tough around here but my baby will eat well for awhile thanks to this and donor milk. It makes more sense to buy an .89 bag of spinach vs 1 jar of food and this actually tastes good

Former Special Ed Teacher  now SAHM mamma to 2 girls autismribbon.gif(4/06) and thumbsuck.gif (5/08) EBF via donor milk. Wife DH : Fur mamma to 2 pugs and 1 grey kitty - its a zoo around here!  pos.gif Feb 2013..Will you help feed our new blessing?winner.jpg

#2 of 3 Old 12-23-2008, 11:55 PM

That's great! And don't you feel good supplying your baby with all that healthy, wholesome food?
#3 of 3 Old 12-24-2008, 03:26 PM

Hey, I am getting in this wagon too!
My baby is 10 months old and in two opportunities I have made 1 week of foods (lunch and dinner) it took me 3 hours but now I have a food processor, so It should be better. I have to admit I didn't cook last weekend so he is having earth best baby food.

I did:
Pumpkin/chicken/sweet potato
Brocoli/green beans/chicken
Beet/pumpkin
Lentils/eggplant

I know it is only 4 different meals but it is a start...
My goal is to get to the point of cooking once a month for him and that way I can addapt the menu to his month anniversaries.
I need to do better at incorporating fruits...
I also need to do better at eating myself... I am a nutritional mess right now

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page