Meal plan for 10 mo and finger food question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-04-2009, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, this is my 10 mo typical feeding day (please do comment/criticize)

6:00 AM 8oz of formula
9:30 AM Cereal (rice or oatmeal) and a small (stage 1) baby food fruit (banana, apple or pear)
12:30 PM Stage 3 jar with home made food, blended, one of the following:
-Lentils/eggplant
-Pumpkin/malanga/chicken (malanga is a root like the sweet potato)
-Beet/Pumpkin/carrot
-Broccoli/green beans/chicken
4:00 PM Breakfast o's and organic fruit salad (small cubes)
8:00 PM 8oz of formula

He also nurses at night and morning, but I have a long issue with low production , I am mainly a soother/pacifier(long story), drinks water

The above is mainly the week, weekend he eats more adult food, such as whole grain bread, soy milk, whole grain pasta, preshew beef/chicken,etc.

My finger food question:
He is an expert breakfast o's eater, fights with sticky pear, banana, peach.
What are other good, enticing baby finger foods? My blended lunch is not a good candidate, he does not do the spoon yet.
so, so far he only self feeds breakfast o's and cubed fruit... what else?

Help!
#2 of 8 Old 01-04-2009, 09:01 PM

My ds is the same age, well maybe a bit older, he'll be 11 mo. Jan.15. He gave up the spoon a long time except for eating yogurt. Some things he likes are:

bagels with cream cheese torn into small pieces. I am going to try other spreads like hummus as soon as I get the energy to make them. Anything on a bagel seems to go over well with him.

all kinds of fruit, especially blueberries

frozen microwaved or fried with butter veggies like corn, peas, carrots

beets

cheese, esp. mozzarella

sweet potatoes

squash cooked with olive oil and lemon juice

chickpeas

scrambled eggs with cheese

pasta, rice, oatmeal (he makes a mess of this one with his fingers but I let him try it)

chicken salad with mayo, grapes, raisins

cow tongue (I know that sounds like a weird thing to give to a baby, but he loves it! It's very soft and falls apart in the mouth so it's a good first meat to give babies)

For dinner, he usually eats what we are eating unless I'm in a hurry then I just fix him something quick. i really don't do separate meal plans for my ds. i try to just give him some of whatever is in the fridge, he's gonna have to get used to my cooking at some point, it might as well be now

To me it sounds like your ds isn't getting enough milk. If you feel like he is barely getting any milk from you I would replace some of his water with formula or pumped milk during the day. Kids that age need around 24-30 oz of milk a day.
#3 of 8 Old 01-05-2009, 12:04 PM

I agree 16 oz doesn't seem like enough.

I've only given my LO (9 mo) prunes from a spoon. Otherwise she eats frozen or room temp peas and blueberries, pasta, brocolli, chicken, sweet potato, carrot, bread, teething biscuits, egg yolk, cherrios, banana, avocado, apple sauce, apple (peeled and cored), potato. I'm sure there are a few more just can't think of them!
#4 of 8 Old 01-05-2009, 12:19 PM

Solids up till a year are pretty much practice and nutrition and calories comes from breast milk or formula. Your little one should be getting twice as much milk. Solids are hard for a baby to digest and utilize their nutrition still. Please put some more formula in there a 10 month old really does need it.

Meat and cheese are good finger foods. My daughter had some bacon this morning that she loved, she just munched it right up! Egg yolk[whites are allergens] is good for babies too.
As to solids we just put some of what we are eating in front of my daughter, if she eats it cool and if she doesn't cool.

Also please look into the dangers of soy. I really dont think a small baby should be having soy unless it was VERY necessary.

Good Luck with trying new foods!

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#5 of 8 Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 PM

Ds is also the same age. What he likes:

Bread spread with chummos (and cut into small cubes)
Small pieces of chicken / carrots / rice / whatever is apporpriate that I am eating.
Crackers : his older sisters get them so he wants too.
Fruit cut up, or a big piece to munch / suck on.
Some veggies (cucumbers come to mind).
Scrambled eggs.

All I can think of off hand.

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#6 of 8 Old 01-12-2009, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everybody
It makes sense because he used to have a 8oz bottle at 2:00 AM and he stopped that so he is one bottle short
I have adjusted it:

6:00 AM 9oz of formula
9:30 AM 9oz of formula
12:30 PM Stage 3 jar with home made food, blended, one of the following:
-Lentils/eggplant
-Pumpkin/malanga/chicken (malanga is a root like the sweet potato)
-Beet/Pumpkin/carrot
-Broccoli/green beans/chicken
4:00 PM Breakfast o's and organic fruit salad (small cubes)
8:00 PM 9oz of formula

Question, how do you get them to eat such variety?
I guess instead of asking for adaily menu I should ask:

What is an 'specific' weekly meal plan you follow?
#7 of 8 Old 01-20-2009, 01:44 AM

I just follow the meal plan for our family and offer baby things from that. Obviously I avoid something things - eggs, nuts and nut products. For breakfast I had oatmeal and yogurt, I gave her bites from my food and she also had a few cherrios from her tray. Lunch was a piece of pizza, she had small bites I tore off. Snack was half a pb sandwich, she had blueberries from the freezer. Tonight we had broccoli, rice and steak for dinner. She had the same. I cut the steak into very small pieces and divided the broccoli a little for her.
#8 of 8 Old 01-27-2009, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I would still be giving him way more formula. People food is for play and practice. I nursed my kids (no judgment on you, just saying) and even at one year, they still nursed round the clock and ate a little here and there.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page