what meals to freeze for when the baby is born? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-04-2009, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Alright, I wasnt sure where to post this question exactly, but here goes. I'm having my baby this summer and everywhere I look I read that I am supposed to freeze meals ahead of time, for when the baby is born. However, I dont have a clue what to cook. Im not a bad cook, but Ive never been taught any recipes and just simply need ideas. Can you tell me some things that would work to cook and freeze for when the baby arrives? Recipes would nice too if its not too much trouble. I can always search online too.. but its overwhelming if I'm not looking for something specific and most of it doesnt look appealing. I'd love to hear your favorites! (and your personal experiences) Thank you so much! :

oh and just in case anyone might wonder..we do eat meat and dairy and we aren't aware of any specific food allergies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-05-2009, 01:27 PM

I froze something like 30 meals for when my son was born and it was such a huge help. I froze it in either foil pans or reusable containers. I also made soups and stuff for me to eat for lunch, as well as dinners. Also, some thing were just "starters", as I just needed to steam some rice or something like that to go along with it.
Here's a short list-
*Pasta sauce (I froze several FoodSaver bags of this as they froze flat and saved room. All I had to do was boil up some pasta)
*Baked Ziti
*Lasagna
*Pancakes
*Onion Soup
*Mushrooms and Au Jus for Portabello French Dip Sandwiches
*Macaroni and Cheese
*Chicken and Potatoes
*Orange Chicken
*Shepard's Pie
*Taco Pie
*Spinach and Ricotta Pie
*Spagetti Pie
(I made alot of one dish pies and casseroles bc they were super easy to make and would be easy to reheat)
Pm me if you want recipes for anything.

Good Luck!!

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#3 of 9 Old 03-06-2009, 10:31 AM

Congrats on the new baby!
I just had a baby girl in November and was very glad I had some freezer meals. Things I froze:
Enchiladas
Mini Pizzas
Burritos
Lasagna
Sloppy Joes
6 different types of soups
A ton of different breakfest foods

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#4 of 9 Old 03-07-2009, 06:16 AM

Subbing.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#5 of 9 Old 03-10-2009, 12:23 AM

I'll be interested in ideas for this too. I've always loved the idea of 'feed the freezer' but in practice I can't find many things that freeze well.

The meals I did freeze before my 1st baby was born were:
- lasagnes (in foil trays). Follow any recipe up to assembling point, but don't do the final cooking until you're ready to eat it). Freeze a few garlic breads to go with it, then all you need to do is add a quick salad.
- curries (frozen flat in ziploc bags so they thawed faster). DON'T add any sour cream/coconut cream/cream prior to freezing - it doesn't thaw well IMO. I add creamy ingredients when I'm heating up the meal to eat.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#6 of 9 Old 03-10-2009, 03:29 PM

Subbing! I'll be at my friend's house next week and am planning to stock her freezer as she is due in early April. Keep the ideas coming!

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
#7 of 9 Old 03-13-2009, 05:47 PM

Check out the Feed the Freezer thread. There are a gazillion good recipes in there.

Also, try and have a few dairy free options. I know with 2/3 kids, I couldn't drink dairy for the first 6-7 months because it really irritated them. When they were older, it wasn't an issue.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#8 of 9 Old 03-26-2009, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Soup freezes really well-- especially bean soups like black bean and split pea, etc. -- it's also nice to freeze some in individual portions for you when you need meals during the day.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#9 of 9 Old 03-27-2009, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
Check out the Feed the Freezer thread. There are a gazillion good recipes in there.
ah, that is a good thread, thank you!

Thanks for your posts guys! Anyone just have any one favorite recipe they wouldnt mind sharing?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page