Mothering Forum banner

Freezing cookies or cookie dough?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Beauchamp 
#1 ·
Can you freeze raw cookie dough? (like chocolate chip cookies?) Or is it better to bake and then freeze?

Funny that my "feed the freezer" plan is starting with chocolate chip cookies, but there you have it. 37 weeks pregnant.

See less See more
#3 ·
I freeze cookie dough all the time. Another friend cooks them and freezes the cookies. Both work perfectly.

I find the dough makes it all the way to the freezer better than the cookies, plus I get to enjoy the smell of baking cookies before eating them with frozen dough. I freeze mine in logs about 1 1/2 inches across. I then just slice it while frozen and pop it in the oven and bake following the original instructions. Maybe add another minute or two because they are frozen. I also occasionally roll them into balls and freeze them on a cookie sheet then pop them in a zip lock bag. It just depends on how much time I want to spend on it and what type of cookies they are.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyGG View Post
I find the dough makes it all the way to the freezer better than the cookies, plus I get to enjoy the smell of baking cookies before eating them with frozen dough.
Oh, good. I'd prefer to freeze the dough. It seems like they'd be fresher this way. Thanks!!!

I will try the log idea or the balls. For chocolate chip, I'm not sure which would be better.

#5 ·
I have a cookie scoop and just make balls with my cookie scoop, place them on a cookie sheet and freeze (takes about 20 minutes). Then I put the balls in baggies to bake later. I've also done the log, but when I've used chips in my cookies I hate cutting the logs and having the chips fall out of the dough as I'm cutting. . .I like the balls much better. . .just pop them out of the bag, put on the cookie sheet, and bake. . .so easy!

#6 ·
I looove cut & slice cookies. You can do all sorts of raw cookie dough for the freezer. You can get all fancy & roll two types together or do rectangles all Martha Stewart like.

I used to always make a batch for the freezer when I made cookies, but somehow they mysteriously never made it to the oven

I really had to stop "making them for the freezer"

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by treemom2 View Post
I have a cookie scoop and just make balls with my cookie scoop, place them on a cookie sheet and freeze
Ooh. I have a few scoops. A *very* good idea, thanks!!! This should make it pretty easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.