Quick question about freezing in "Ball" jars - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-22-2009, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, I have a double batch of homemade tomato sauce on the stove right now! (It's yummy, by the way! I don't know why I have been buying jar-sauce!)

DH went and got a bunch of 32 oz "Ball" canning jars because we just accidentally recycled all our old sauce jars that I was planning to use to freeze my sauce.

So here's my question...all I want to do is freeze the sauce. Do I need to follow all the directions with the sticky lids and such? Or can I just wash the jars/lids, etc, put the sauce in and freeze? I am not set up for "canning" per se. I'm hoping I can just freeze them without having to boil/heat-stick the tops on.

Thank you for any help.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 7 Old 05-23-2009, 11:47 AM

I freeze all the time in canning jars. You don't have to do the sticky lids. Just wash and use. Don't forget to leave more headroom to allow for expansion. You don't want the jar to break in your freezer. That's not a fun mess and I've done it a few times.

Stephanie: married mom to 4

Located just slightly left of sanity.

#3 of 7 Old 05-23-2009, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie95 View Post
I freeze all the time in canning jars. You don't have to do the sticky lids. Just wash and use. Don't forget to leave more headroom to allow for expansion. You don't want the jar to break in your freezer. That's not a fun mess and I've done it a few times.
Sweet! Thanks! I've had them in the freezer with super loose lids for about three hours. How long until they are done expanding? Is it safe to put the lids on tightly now?

#4 of 7 Old 06-12-2009, 07:13 PM

I've had spectacular success freezing in jars as long as I always follow these two rules:

1. Only fill them to the point where the 'shoulders' start to curve in. The food needs room to expand. It tries to go up and when it hits the top it'll go out. That's what causes the jars to break.

2. Never freeze them until they're at least room temp, and even better is chilled in the fridge overnight.

I used to have a problem with jars breaking when I thawed them out. Ever since I found the two rules I've not had the first jar break.

Hope this helps.
#5 of 7 Old 06-16-2009, 03:42 PM

I agree with happydog - definitely fill only to the shoulders, and fridge first before freezer - it works great!

Mother to one wonderful 5 year old son and another on the way, caretaker of dogs, cats, chickens and worms. EDD 12/11/2011

#6 of 7 Old 06-16-2009, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

I did exactly what you said and everything turned out perfectly! Thanks!

I defrosted my first jar of homemade sauce and it was wonderful. I am really happy to have found this new way of freezing instead of plastic containers. (especially for things like red sauce.)

#7 of 7 Old 07-29-2014, 06:33 PM

Question question on freezing in jar re: lid?

So, you don't need to leave the lid loose while it freezes if you put it in the fridge first overnight? Or should you leave the lids loose until it's frozen?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page