frugal one pot meals - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love your best made from scratch frugal meals that can be cooked in one pot or a slowcooker.

my current fave is 250gr green lentils with some soked paprika and a tin of tomatoes cook them for 20 mins. top with a good layer of carrots and a layer of sliced potatoes some cheese over the top and pop it in the ovenon 180c for 40 mins-hour depending on the oven.

photoblogging crafty Mama to 3 boys (8/04 and twins 08/07)
#2 of 6 Old 05-28-2009, 11:30 AM

I posted this in the crockpot thread in November:
Quote:
I made Easiest Black Bean and Brown Rice Chili on Election Day, to have something filling for when we got home from volunteering. We had it with avocado slices and grated cheddar. It's from "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker," which is a pretty good cookbook so far.

Since it's in a book, I'll give you a link:
http://books.google.com/books?id=cDN...esult&resnum=1
We throw the unused chipotle chilies in the freezer for future batches. You can top with whatever you want - cheese, sour cream, salsa. Cooking your own beans instead of using canned also saves money.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#3 of 6 Old 05-28-2009, 12:57 PM

Tomato-lentil soup
approx. 1 litre (about 4 cups) stock (I used chicken stock)
one large (793ml?) can diced tomatoes
one cup red lentils
one large onion
one carrot
1/4 cup butter or margerine
Bring the stock to a boil and add the lentils; let simmer about 20 minutes until cooked to a mush. Meanwhile, finely chop the onion and carrot, and saute in the butter/marg until the onion is soft. By this time your lentils will be cooked, so add the tomatoes (including any liquid in the can) and your sauteed onion/carrot/butter to the lentils/broth. Bring the soup to a simmer; add salt to taste. [It can be made on the stovetop in ONE pot if you saute the onions in your soup pot FIRST, then add the broth, bring it to a boil, cook the lentils, and lastly add the tomatoes.] This is one of my favourite last-minute lunches/dinners, as it is ready in a half-hour. If you are a meat-eater, it is wonderful with the addition of sliced or crumbled (cooked) sausage. I ate gallons of this soup when I was pregnant -- it keeps well in the fridge or freezer and tastes even better when reheated.

Mum to Cora: Freya: and Sabina
Cyclocross fanatic!
#4 of 6 Old 05-28-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydeParkB View Post
I posted this in the crockpot thread in November:

We throw the unused chipotle chilies in the freezer for future batches. You can top with whatever you want - cheese, sour cream, salsa. Cooking your own beans instead of using canned also saves money.
Thanks! that sounds great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchee View Post
Tomato-lentil soup
I do something similar to that I add some spinach to it if we have it in the garden it great!

photoblogging crafty Mama to 3 boys (8/04 and twins 08/07)
#5 of 6 Old 06-13-2009, 12:49 PM

Subbing!:

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#6 of 6 Old 06-16-2009, 11:47 AM

I make an "empty the fridge/pantry" soup. Go through your beans and soak about a cup and a half of various beans or one kind, or whatever. I always have onions on hand, so I saute onions in a pot. Then, if I have garlic, I add crushed garlic. I go through my veggie drawer and pull out anything that will spoil or that I can't seem to figure out how to use and I chop it and add it to the pot. If I have tomatoes or canned tomatoes or even tomato paste or spaghetti sauce I need to use up, I throw it in. Add water and the beans and let cook until the biggest beans are soft. Sometimes, I'll add a little rice or pasta. Lately, I also top the whole thing with chopped kale in the last 10 minutes of cooking.

You can add finely cut meat to this as well.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page