Ideas for peanut butter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-18-2009, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I had loads of peanut butter stashed from our Wic coupons and need some ideas for what I can cook with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 06-18-2009, 02:34 AM

Peanut Butter cookies? Peanut sauce? Peanut butter balls? I make a molasses fudge with peanut butter. Oatmeal and peanut butter.
Hmm can't think of anything else. Good luck!

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#3 of 10 Old 06-18-2009, 02:51 AM
Dar

I make a sauce with peanut butter, soy sauce, honey, and ginger, and then put it on noodles... like udon or rice noodles. Top with scallions...

You could make maafe - not sure how you spell it, but it's a stew made with peanut butter and meat and veggies... a Senegalese woman made it at a potluck I went to and I've always meant to find a recipe... it was really good!

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#4 of 10 Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 AM

--chicken satay over spinach
--slather it over a turkey or turkey breast and roast
--peanut butter pie
--granola bars
--peanut butter fudge

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
#5 of 10 Old 06-19-2009, 11:42 PM

Peanut butter stuffed dates. Best snack ever.

mama to DD yikes2.gif She's a teenager! 12/19/97 and DS jammin.gif 09/18/03
#6 of 10 Old 06-24-2009, 01:46 PM

My two favorites are
1) Thai sauce and fettucine: Make the fettucine. In the last two minutes of cooking add thin carrot slices (I either grate or use the veggie peeler to slice) and snow peas. Drain all and toss with sauce. The sauce is equal parts pb and hoisin sauce (1/2 cup each I think)
2) I also do stuffed french toast with pb and bananas (or anything you think goes well with pb). It's so rich that you don't have to put any syrup with it.
#7 of 10 Old 06-24-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianakaye View Post
My two favorites are

2) I also do stuffed french toast with pb and bananas (or anything you think goes well with pb). It's so rich that you don't have to put any syrup with it.
Recipe please!!!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#8 of 10 Old 06-25-2009, 06:08 PM

Here is my recipe for Maafe - African Chicken Stew:

Ingredients
•3 cups unsalted roasted peanuts (1/2 lb) or 2 cups "all natural" creamy peanut butter
•6 cups water
•10 lb chicken pieces such as drumsticks, thighs, and breast halves
• 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
•2 medium onion, chopped
•2 red bell pepper, chopped
•6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
•2 (14- to 16-oz) can diced tomatoes including juice
•2 teaspoons cayenne
•4 teaspoons salt
•3 lb sweet potatoes (2 medium), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
•8 medium turnips (1 lb), peeled if desired, halved horizontally, and cut into 3/4-inch wedges
•2 lb spinach, coarse stems discarded

Accompaniment: white or brown rice

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 325°F. If using peanuts, blend in a food processor until they form a butter, 2 to 3 minutes. Put fresh or jarred peanut butter in a bowl and gradually whisk in 3 cups water.

Pat chicken dry and season with salt. Heat oil in an ovenproof 4- to 5-quart heavy pot (with a tight-fitting lid, for use later) over moderately high heat until h ot but not smoking, then brown chicken, uncovered, in 3 or 4 batches, without crowding, about 6 minutes. Transfer chicken to a bowl as browned. Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons fat from pot, then add onion and bell pepper and sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté, stirring, 1 minute.

Stir in peanut butter mixture, remaining 1 1/2 cups water, tomatoes with juice, cayenne (to taste), salt, and chicken with any juices accumulated in bowl and bring to a simmer.

Cover pot with lid, then braise chicken in middle of oven until tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Transfer chicken with tongs to a large (4-quart) serving dish and keep warm, covered.

Stir potatoes and turnips into sauce and simmer on top of stove, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer cooked vegetables with a slotted spoon to serving dish.

Simmer sauce, uncovered, stirring, until reduced to about 4 cups, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in spinach, then let stand, partially covered, until spinach is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt if necessary, then spoon over chicken.

This makes a huge amount of food - we've fed large crowds with this. It also makes great leftovers. And the kids are definitely fans! When I'm short on time or we don't need so much food, I've also made this with leftover roasted chicken that has been shredded and about 1/2 of the other ingredients. This is a good recipe to start the night before and then finish in the slow cooker.
#9 of 10 Old 06-25-2009, 06:10 PM

Our other favorite peanut sauce comes from Cynthia Lair: http://www.cookusinterruptus.com/index.php?video_id=49

This one is awesome...perfect on chicken satay, freesh rolls, stir fries, noodles or rice, greens. Our kids love it because it is mild and sweet. My husband and I add a little thai red pepper sauce to give it a little kick.
#10 of 10 Old 06-25-2009, 08:53 PM

These are great ideas! I thought I'd share our favorite cookie recipe. I don't feel right calling it a "peanut butter cookie." It's really more of an "everything cookie."

Peanut butter + oats + nuts + chocolate chips... Yummm.

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page