easy meal ideas needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-01-2009, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH has a terminally ill parent in the hospital right now. He is gone usually from 5:30 am until early evening to spend time with his parents and managing to work some in between those hours.

We are a family that is used to a meat, veggie and salad every evening meal, but it's just not working for us right now. So I would like some easy meal ideas that can sit on the stove until DH gets in. For instance, today the kids and I are having beans and wieners. I can easily cook these up and combine them and leave them on the stove for when DH gets here. Tomorrow I may shoot for spaghetti since it's another easy one to combine all the ingredients and leave them sitting in a pot. I know I can't do anything spicy or hot as that will interfere with DH's sleep (i.e. chili, mexican dishes). Any ideas?

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#2 of 4 Old 07-01-2009, 10:12 PM

I am so sorry your family is going thru this.

1) What about casseroles? My Mom would make "scroodle" casserole and I still do. Basically its spaghetti meatsauce, noodles like penne mixed together in a casserole dish. Top it with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake. It heats up wonderfully!

2) What about meatloafs with a baked potato he can heat up in the microwave? Add a side of corn or green beans or even a fresh salad he can pull from the fridge.

3) A cold dish like cut up cheese, fresh fruit and maybe ham slices or chunks or turkey slices or chunks? Special crackers on the side or french bread slices.

4) A caesar sald with grilled chicken or chef salad with ham, chicken, turkey, cheeses, fresh tomatoes etc.

5) What about this?

http://thematzats.blogspot.com/2008/...ermicelli.html

6) Or this?

http://www.mydailymoment.com/recipes...k-burritos.php

Let me think of some other ides.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#3 of 4 Old 07-02-2009, 05:52 PM

Do you have/use a crockpot? Lots of great meal ideas for crockpots, and when it's done cooking, you can leave it on warm or even off, to stay warm/safe for a few hours.

http://www.eatrealgood.com/crock-pot-recipes.html

And you can filter for crockpot recipes here, after entering the veggies you have or intend to use:

http://mealplanner.eatrealgood.com/

I'm sorry your family is going through these sad times right now.
#4 of 4 Old 07-02-2009, 09:17 PM

So sorry mama.

Crock pots are so great, but the stove will work too if you don't have one.

Beef stew
Chicken stew
Soups of all kinds!!!

bbq pork or beef on a bun. (Just leave meat in the sauce on the stove or in crock pot, and buns beside for a quick meal.)

Sloppy joes (easy to sneak veggies into)

calzones, stuffed buns or individual pot pies are easy to reheat and yummy.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page