I am so sorry your family is going thru this.
1) What about casseroles? My Mom would make "scroodle" casserole and I still do. Basically its spaghetti meatsauce, noodles like penne mixed together in a casserole dish. Top it with shredded mozzarella cheese and bake. It heats up wonderfully!
2) What about meatloafs with a baked potato he can heat up in the microwave? Add a side of corn or green beans or even a fresh salad he can pull from the fridge.
3) A cold dish like cut up cheese, fresh fruit and maybe ham slices or chunks or turkey slices or chunks? Special crackers on the side or french bread slices.
4) A caesar sald with grilled chicken or chef salad with ham, chicken, turkey, cheeses, fresh tomatoes etc.
5) What about this?http://thematzats.blogspot.com/2008/...ermicelli.html
6) Or this?http://www.mydailymoment.com/recipes...k-burritos.php
Let me think of some other ides.