help us wean from fast food! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family of 3.5 easily spends over $150 a month on eating out! We have a couple of big ticket items we want to save for over the next two months and I could really use some help!

I really love pizza and chinese food, mainly chicken teryiaki, fried rice, and beef and broccoli, but I can't find a recipe for either that really feeds my cravings!

Do any of you have any authentic asian recipes or really good pizza dough and sauce recipes? I am desperate!
#2 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 04:26 PM

Chicken Fried Rice: SO YUMMY!!!

3 eggs
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
any other veggies you like lol (shredded carrot, peppers, green onion, whatever really)
2 cups cooked white rice, cold (It has to be cold or the rice can get mushy)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tbsp vinegar (I use balsamic, but rice wine, white or whatever you like works)
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ginger powder, or 1 tbsp of fresh grated ginger
chicken (or shrimp, or beef or whatever really!)

In a small bowl, beat egg with water. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add egg and leave flat for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from skillet and cut into shreds.
Heat oil in same skillet; add onion and saute until soft. Then add rice, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper and meat. Stir fry together for about 5 minutes, then stir in egg. Serve!

My fave beef and broccoli is cooked in black bean sauce, so I just buy the black bean sauce and saute the beef strips and brocoli in it and serve on rice.

You can make your own terryaki sauce or buy it!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#3 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 05:23 PM

Well this is super easy and super yummy. : I made it with shrimp, carrots and green beans. I made it Sunday and I am making it again tonight.

http://weekofmenus.blogspot.com/2009...antro-and.html

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#4 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 05:30 PM

Try here. This is an awesome site!

http://foodgawker.com/

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#5 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 05:43 PM

I just had to say mmmmmm

femalesling.GIFMama to intact DS Dec 06 and intact DS May 10......Looking to declutter 2012 items in 2012! (27/2012)

#6 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 07:07 PM

For us we had to solve this problem because we have no local options. Bad local pizza, scary local chinese. Nearest edible Thai is an hour away.

For pizza I started making my own. I make a basic pizza dough recipe in my bread maker or buy some pre made dough if I am in a hurry. I mix my own sauce - 1 can crushed tomatoes (make sure puree is not on the ingredient list), 2 tablespoons olive oil, 4 cloves of garlic crushed. Top the pizza as you prefer and use fresh mozzarella. Hands down the best pizza around, not to mention the healthiest. Since my DS has a dairy allergy I actually add chicken & black olives to the sauce. Then he gets the sauce on spaghetti.

As for chinese I did get a cookbook and try various recipes online. Nothing worked for me. Things were very hard and time consuming or tasted weird. I started experimenting with various store bought sauces. Some are good, some pretty bad. For beef and broccoli I use Lee Kum Lee Panda Brand Sauce for Broccoli Beef. I add my own broccoli & grass fed beef. Put on rice. For sweet & sour chicken I use House of Tsang Sweet & Sour stir fry sauce. Pour over cooked chicken chunks, add a can of pineapple and heat well, serve with rice. For teryiaki I just buy a good sauce.

I like lil_earthmomma's recipe and black bean sauce ideas. Will try those this week
#7 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
Well this is super easy and super yummy. : I made it with shrimp, carrots and green beans. I made it Sunday and I am making it again tonight.

http://weekofmenus.blogspot.com/2009...antro-and.html
that looks sooooo good... and i have everything for both versions, i know what im having for lunch tomorrow....

well almost everything, no rice wine vinegar, do you think regular white vinegar will make that big of a difference?

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#8 of 13 Old 07-16-2009, 01:08 AM

Even a frozen pizza baked at home is cheaper than getting take out pizza. Plan ahead and prepare foods that use ingredients which are on sale. You will save even more!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#9 of 13 Old 07-16-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyhaugh View Post
that looks sooooo good... and i have everything for both versions, i know what im having for lunch tomorrow....

well almost everything, no rice wine vinegar, do you think regular white vinegar will make that big of a difference?
I wonder if you could add a little more honey so its not so sour.

#10 of 13 Old 07-16-2009, 03:24 PM

I forgot to add that my fried rice recipe is with already cooked chicken or beef. If you're starting with raw, you probably want to cook the chicken or beef in some soya sauce and oil before you start the rest! Shrimp wouldn't need to be cooked before throwing it in with everything else! :

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#11 of 13 Old 07-21-2009, 02:05 AM

Do you have a trader joes near you? If so, their teriyaki sauce is really great and very easy. Just saute some chicken (I usually use cut up chicken thighs) with some garlic and ginger, add stir fry vegetables, and then add teriyaki sauce and simmer for a few minutes. Serve on rice.

The trader joes sauce is a lot like the "soy vay" brand that might be at safeway or other big grocery stores.

We LOVE making our own pizza. I make the dough in our bread machine. It is really easy this way! We'll top it with traditional pizza topings like sauce, vegetables, sausage and cheese, or with leftovers. Favorites include bbq chicken (bbq sauce, leftover chicken, squash or zucchini, red or green onions, cheese) and thai chicken (thai peanut/coconut sauce, onions, cilantro, shredded carrots). We've even tried applesauce with raisins and cheddar - yummy and kid friendly. In a pinch, you can make pizzas using bagels, sliced french bread, pita bread, english muffins - just top and put under the broiler.
#12 of 13 Old 07-21-2009, 02:19 PM

No help with the chinese food subsitutes, but I second the english muffin pizzas. We use the whole wheat kind with store bought marinara. Also, I'm kinda a scaredy cat when it comes to homemade dough, so I buy a slab from the pizza shop. I ask for a ball of their dough and give them 3-5 bucks for it. They're making a killing off that profit margin and I don't have to worry about messing it up.

Since '05 just me and B, but in 2/08 E made three!
#13 of 13 Old 08-06-2009, 11:05 AM

I don't watch much tv, but I saw this show with a bad title but great concept on Lifetime of all channels!

It's called "Cook Yourself Thin" but they take fast food favorites and redo them to make them 1. easy to make and 2. healthy for you, so you still feel like you're getting that taste you love.

Here is the website
There are recipes, tips, pictures, episodes, etc.

Some foods on there are spring rolls, chicken pot pie, chocolate cake, etc.!!

And as far as pizzas--they are SO easy to make when you make them yourself. You can even get your kids to help and they will think it's so much fun. I have fond memories of making pizzas with my mom and it was fun to eat because you helped create it.

One good recipe book I use now is Weight Watchers Pizza, Pizza: 150 Deliciously Dazzling Ways to Make Everyone's Favorite Pie

There are literally over 100 combos of pizza options! Having this book is like having access to the best pizza place because you can order whatever you want.

I ALSO love to go on restaurant menus and get the ingredients to try to make it myself. One website that has already done this is CopyKat and has restaurants listed by alphabetical order using homemade ingredients.

I am subbing this myself because this is a great thread with many good suggestions!

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page