Freezable pizza dough recipe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-15-2009, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My boys have discovered the joy of building their own personal-size pizzas, but Boboli costs way too much and they weren't keen on English muffins. Does anyone have a pizza dough recipe they could share? I have a bread machine and am willing to buy a pizza stone, if that helps. I'd like to be able to make six or eight at a time, then freeze them. I suppose you need to cook them first, then freeze? I don't know. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Mama to DS(4) DS(2) and Kitty(16)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 07-18-2009, 08:25 PM

subbing, I'd love to know of a freezable recipe as well!

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#3 of 15 Old 07-18-2009, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I really like this recipe and freezing is easy:

Here's the video of her making the dough: http://www.foodnetwork.com/the-cooking-loft/index.html

Recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/b...ipe/index.html

Just freeze it right after you make it, before you rise it. Slather it with olive oil and throw it in a zip lock bag or in some plastic wrap. Then when you take it out for use, unwrap it, throw it in a bowl in a warm place and rise it; continue and make the pizza.

HTH!

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
#4 of 15 Old 07-26-2009, 09:47 AM

Thanks for this recipe , we tried the first frozen - thawed one last night and it was fantastic!

femalesling.GIFMama to intact DS Dec 06 and intact DS May 10......Looking to declutter 2012 items in 2012! (27/2012)

#5 of 15 Old 07-27-2009, 02:44 PM

I'll have to try this... can you give an estimate about thawing time?

What I've been doing is to buy dough from my local pizzeria. They make terrible pizza, but their *dough* makes great pizza in my oven! I highly recommend a stone. I just store it in the oven on the bottom rack.

How about some great topping ideas? I've been trying to recreate a *great* pizza from a little place in Berkeley -- ricotta/broccoli/cauliflower/garlic -- you wouldn't necessarily think "delicious!" but it is.

-esme
#6 of 15 Old 09-07-2009, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I make pizza, I use up the random veggies in my fridge (eggplant, carrots, onion, mushrooms, zucchini...sky's the limit) by just dicing them, sauteeing them in olive oil, and then spreading them evenly on the pizza before baking. Great way to get veggies into my 3.5 year old (esp. if I cut them small enough!)
#7 of 15 Old 09-07-2009, 02:28 PM

I use any pizza dough recipe and after mixing the ingredients (before rising) I freeze it. Then I pull it out, put on the counter and it will thaw, warm up, and then rise. Then it's ready to shape and bake.

We're big mushroom fans here but they can make pizza soggy because of all the moisture in them, so I usually sautee sliced mushrooms with some chopped garlic before putting it on the pizza. It's very tasty (well, if you like mushrooms and garlic, lol). Carmelized onions are another favourite.
#8 of 15 Old 09-15-2009, 03:20 PM

I generally make extra dough when I'm making pizza and then freeze half of it. I usually pull it out to thaw the night before. I haven't tried pre-baking it, but I've thought about it, just for saving time.

I've also just started making ds and I pizza for lunch and using wheat tortillas. You just spread olive oil on both sides and bake for 5 minutes before adding toppings. Then bake again until cheese is bubbly. Crust is obviously thin crust and can be slightly crunchy. But it is a great backup when I don't have things planned in advance.
#9 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post
We're big mushroom fans here but they can make pizza soggy because of all the moisture in them, so I usually sautee sliced mushrooms with some chopped garlic before putting it on the pizza. It's very tasty (well, if you like mushrooms and garlic, lol). Carmelized onions are another favourite.
Those all sound really great! One thing we read years ago, in regard to soggy crust, is to layer the sauce and then cheese and the put your toppings on top of the cheese because as it melts, it provides a bit of a moisture barrier to the crust. This does, of course, assume you're making a traditional sauce and cheese pizza.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#10 of 15 Old 09-20-2009, 09:22 PM

This is a little different theme, but you can freeze these mini pizzas after they are done.... or you can make enough extra, wrap in saran wrap and keep in the fridge for a week and cut off pieces and bake. I'd think you might even be able to use a toaster oven if you were just making 3-4 for snack or a young one.

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=890
Pizza on a Stick

I don't really know that you'd need to stick to their dough recipe- you can probably adjust it for any type of dough and just adjust the cooking time.

Oh, I don't think we'll use the stick, but it makes a neat picture(-;
Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#11 of 15 Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 AM

I love that dough recipe from Alex Guarnaschelli!

Someone asked about different topping combos. I have to say that this is my absolutely favorite combo:

Thin layer of cream cheese on the crust
Thin layer of basil pesto on the cream cheese
mozzarella, goat cheese, and gouda on top of that
fresh basil, if you have it.

This is a very nice white pizza.

Favorite red sauce combo:

homemade pizza sauce
6-cheese shredded cheese
sweet italian sausage
gorgonzola
fresh basil
fresh minced garlic

Yum! I have some dough in the freezer right now, and I think I might have to make one of these for lunch now!
#12 of 15 Old 09-24-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post
This is a little different theme, but you can freeze these mini pizzas after they are done.... or you can make enough extra, wrap in saran wrap and keep in the fridge for a week and cut off pieces and bake. I'd think you might even be able to use a toaster oven if you were just making 3-4 for snack or a young one.

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=890
Pizza on a Stick

I don't really know that you'd need to stick to their dough recipe- you can probably adjust it for any type of dough and just adjust the cooking time.

Oh, I don't think we'll use the stick, but it makes a neat picture(-;
Jessica

These looks sooo fun!! Kids will love! Can't wait to try. thanks for sharing!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#13 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 10:42 PM
arb

This is adapted from a Peter Reinhart recipe. If you are not familiar with him he is a much-revered author of a bread-baking cookbooks. King Arthur white whole wheat flour is awesome!

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001506.html
#14 of 15 Old 10-01-2009, 01:05 PM

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/...t-pizza-dough?

I like this one. I do exactly what the recipe shows and shape the dough into shells, then stack with parchment paper and put into a ziplock bag to freeze. When we have pizza night, we can all top our pizzas how we want (which is really important to me because I'm a werido and like alfredo, eggplant, and sundried tomatoes on my pizzas).

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).
#15 of 15 Old 10-04-2009, 10:49 PM

Another approach is to make a dough that doesn't need a long rising time. I can't find my usual recipe, but I found this recipe that looks virtually the same. I use regular yeast, not the rapid rise.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Master-...gh/Detail.aspx

The recipe calls for allowing dough to rest 10-15 minutes before rolling it out. I've found that doubling the recipe yields about 3 thin crust pizzas, which is pefect for my family of 6 (plus some leftover for breakfast).

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page