fluffy whole wheat bread recipies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-26-2009, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I received a hand-me-down bread machine, and this has inspired me to start making my own bread. I never had the time (or maybe just not the motivation) to do it all by hand, but now I think I can manage .

Anyway, I've made a couple of different loaves of whole wheat bread, using different recipes, and it always comes out really heavy and dense. My dh says it turns eating a sandwhich into a workout- he's working off the calories as he takes them in.

Anyone know any tricks for making whole wheat bread that's fluffy and soft? I'd love it if you'd share your recipies!

Amanda- mama to Lincoln 1/09 and expecting #2 10/11!
#2 of 4 Old 08-02-2009, 02:05 AM

Well, the only way I've been able to make fluffy ww bread is to ditch the bread machine and make no-knead bread. Just as easy but way yummier.

Check out www.breadtopia.com for tips and recipes etc.

As for bread machine bread, you can add a teensy bit of baking soda (like a 1/4 tsp) and it will cause added rise.

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#3 of 4 Old 09-28-2009, 11:02 PM
arb

Here's the recipe I have used in my 2-lb Oster Bread Machine over and over, with great success. The original recipe is for a 1.5 lb loaf machine. Mine is a 2 lb machine, so I did some math to make the recipe work:

1 5/8 c water
2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 c. honey
4 to 4 1/2 c. flour (blend of regular whole wheat and King Arthur White Whole Wheat)
1/3 c. seeds
1 1/3 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
2 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast

Add ingredients to bread pan in order listed. Program for whole wheat, light crust.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...t-bread-recipe

I vary the proportion of traditional whole wheat flour and white whole wheat flour: usually about 1.5 c traditional + 2.5 c white whole wheat. For the seeds I use sunflower and sesame (no point in using flax seeds as whole flax seeds are most likely to pass through your system undigested). Don't skip the vital wheat gluten. I use Fleischmann's Bread Machine yeast, which I buy by the jar.

Here's the no-machine recipe I want to try next:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recip...h-bread-recipe
I have read that the use of OJ as in this recipe reduces the slight bitterness of whole wheat, and that the potato flakes act as dough conditioners.
#4 of 4 Old 09-30-2009, 05:09 PM

I don't use a bread machine to make bread, but I've had good luck using whole wheat pastry flour instead of regular flour. It's counter-intuitive, but it seems to make a lighter product. Another type of flour that works well is white flour with the germ added back. I guess they separate the bran and germ and only add the germ back. So it's halfway between white and whole wheat. I get it from my local co-op and I really like it, it's my flour of choice now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page