Looking for a change - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-05-2009, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
akh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our family's goal this year is to pay off our credit card debt. But to do this we need to cut back on eating out and lowering our grocery bill. I'm looking for money saving tips and cheap and easy meal ideas. We aren't very adventurous eaters so nothing to crazy, lol. Thanks you guys!

Mama to Taylor 10/31/08 and wife to Jason 9-6-02
#2 of 4 Old 08-20-2009, 01:24 AM

I would look at your grocery bills and see what is taking the most money. I found that we spent a lot of money on organic tomatoes in cans. When I tried to can my own, the price of the tomatoes from my favorite farmer (big time seconds) didn't pencil out for all of the work and storage costs. But, making my own salad dressings and cooking my own beans did! Look for those little ways to save and see what you can do for yourself. Making my own bread also became a big savings since I was being a bread snob before hand.
#3 of 4 Old 08-25-2009, 10:44 PM

Check out the frugality and finance section. I've learned a lot over there about saving money on food.
#4 of 4 Old 09-14-2009, 12:19 AM

Well, I've found that it takes a lot of extra money (and time!) to worry about hitting all of the food groups in each meal. With my little ones (4,2, and 6 months) underfoot, I don't have a lot of time for the kitchen. Well, I suppose I could carve it out, but...

Anyway, we rotate oatmeal, eggs, cereal or bread (think muffins, etc) for breakfasts. Saturdays my dh might make pancakes with the kids. Or, if we are feeling particularly awful, we might get donuts. Sundays I might make overnight french toast, or apple crisp the night before. Or, we have oatmeal again.

For lunch we rotate potatoes (sweet, white, or red, usually baked, sometimes seasoned), rice, and bread.

We snack on whatever fruits and veggies were cheap. Maybe some nuts and cheese. You can also sneak in a bit more nutrition by finely chopping whatever meat and veggies and cheese you have leftover and throwing them in with the rice or eggs or whatever.

Then, I cook a real supper with rotating recipes from my menu.

Doing things this way keeps me from being a slave to the kitchen, while allowing us to still eat a "real meal" once a day. It also saves money because I'm not buying all sorts of extra ingredients to make a bunch of different meals. One bag each of potatoes, rice, oatmeal and 2 dozen eggs cost roughly $10 and feed us 8 meals. Oh, did I mention that simple meals are also easy/quick to clean up?

Another thing that makes meat go a lot farther is to cook it whole, and then cut it up. My dh can eat half a chicken in one meal. That's expensive! So, I rarely do that. I cook the whole thing (usually boil it, so I have broth), and cut it up. Then I can throw a handful into lots of dishes. Yes, we are eating less meat, but really no less that we NEED anyway.

HTH

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page