Need roadtrip food ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-09-2009, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Were heading to Disneyland this weekend and driving and I want to pack a cooler so we have snacks for the kids and donthave to stop. I would also like to pack some hotel friendly food so we can eat in the room and save some money. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-10-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_momma View Post
Were heading to Disneyland this weekend and driving and I want to pack a cooler so we have snacks for the kids and donthave to stop. I would also like to pack some hotel friendly food so we can eat in the room and save some money. Any ideas?
We were 8 people..so food was a must. We rented a house instead of hotel..it was actually cheaper and we took our air mattresses for kids. We cooked and ate at the house as much as possible. The owner of house stocked us with tons of fruit and a cooler. I actually saw a lot of fruit like watermelon and pineapple for sale around the Indiana Jones area ..it was $

I kept bagels in a ziplock in my purse lol. We packed sandwiches of course.

We packed a lot of finger foods..crackers, grapes, carrots, hard boil eggs, apples, bananas, berries. We did some of those individual snack packs and cheese n crackers.. which wasn't healthy but sure saved us $.

We ate a big breakfast before and had kids snack on the way there in the van. The lockers were too small to hold a decent ice chest..so a soft cooler it is. Unless you go back to vehicle to eat out of chest. We didn't take drinks just 2 big thermo water jugs with cups. We took a full size stroller with a good size storage basket underneath.

Of course dry foods will travel well energy bars, raisins, trail mix. My lil ds has nut issues so we skip them.

We ended up buying the kids ice cream and smoothies and turkey legs but still saved a lot of $.
#3 of 5 Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 PM

Sandwiches are usually the best. I keep the sauces for them in their bottles so their use is fresh in the sandwiches. Fruits are also good desserts to pack.
#4 of 5 Old 08-19-2009, 01:38 PM

We travel a lot. DH's family lives five hours away and we travel there usually once every eight weeks or so. They own a timeshare with tons of points so we travel often with them to those places, as well. When we go, there's myself, DH, our daughter who is 23 months, and usually my two nephews, ages 8 and 12. For the road, I pack a small cooler with water bottles and Crystal Light packets of lemonade, and a variation of string cheese, small packages of crackers, Ziploc bags of goldfish (I actually get the Whales brand at Dollar General for $1/box), carrot, celery, broccoli, and bell pepper sticks, bananas, and grapes.

We like to try and reserve a hotel with a kitchenette (usually they at least come with a small fridge, coffee pot and microwave anyway) so I can have a small stove to cook on. If not, I bring my crock-pot. Once I get there I do a small shop to pick up ONLY the ingredients I need for the meals I need. I get breakfast foods (usually bagels with cream cheese, pre-made muffins, cereal, milk, OJ) and we always, always eat breakfast in the room. Depending on what we're doing that day, I might plan for sandwiches and veggie sticks or even leftovers for lunch and either take them with us or eat them there at the room. If I don't have a stove, supper is usually in the crockpot -- I have a great recipe for crockpot bbq beef (sooo yummy!) that you can eat with hamburger buns or even regular sandwich bread. You can even take two crockpots and make a veggie in the crockpot, or potatoes or something.

Do you have a travel grill, or even a George Foreman? That might come in handy, too.

I find we save literally hundreds of dollars by eating mostly in the room. We bought a travel sized grill that folds up for $30 from Home Depot and it has paid for itself over and over again. Take it out on the deck (if you have one), throw some veggies in aluminum foil and whatever meat you like and it's delicious.

mama to sara faith -- 9.2007 and june claire -- 4.2010 (born at 27 weeks)
four angels watching over us -- 4.2003, 3.2004, 2.2009, 9.2009
#5 of 5 Old 08-19-2009, 01:40 PM

Also, when we lived overseas, we did a lot of traveling by train so we couldn't take a cooler or the like with us. We just packed sandwiches and chips or veggies and bottles of water in a backpack with a few napkins thrown in and carried it around. That saved a ton of money, too.

mama to sara faith -- 9.2007 and june claire -- 4.2010 (born at 27 weeks)
four angels watching over us -- 4.2003, 3.2004, 2.2009, 9.2009

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page