make ahead meal ideas for week at cottage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-16-2009, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need ideas. We are away in a few weeks for a cottage week. I want to try and get some meals prepared ahead of time so I am not spending a bunch of time getting things ready. I really only have a week to get prepared. Thanks a bunch for any ideas.
#2 of 6 Old 08-18-2009, 10:37 AM

What kind of cooking sources will you have?
#3 of 6 Old 08-18-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

fridge, stove, barbecue
#4 of 6 Old 08-28-2009, 11:21 AM

LOL... I was looking for a thread like this. Unfortunately, it looks like it didn't go far... not yet anyways...

Any ideas?
#5 of 6 Old 09-06-2009, 03:31 AM

Quiche, pizza, calzones, burritos (bring tortillas, beans/meat, rice, lettuce, tomato, avocado and other fillings). These things are all really easy to freeze and reheat.
#6 of 6 Old 09-06-2009, 11:01 AM

Can you take a crockpot or two with you? I have a cookbook of purely crockpot meals (which includes, meats, veggies/sides, and dessert -- but you can find them on the internet as well) and when I'm busy during the day, I'll throw a meat and a side in my 2 crockpots and voila! There's dinner at the end of the day. I do things like bbq or marinated chicken legs, creamy italian chicken (served over green beans or rice), etc.

Also...grilled meat and veggies are always good. I love to wrap corn on the cob up in aluminum foil, sprinkle with seasonings and spray with non-stick cooking spray, then put it on the grill until done. Yum-o! I will never boil my corn again. This also works in the oven.

As for breakfast...we go camping each year for a week over Memorial Day (my four sisters and their families, my father, and my little family) and have only a grill and a one-burner stove. Before we leave I make up a big batch of muffins to bring along. I usually have three gallon-sized Ziploc bags full, and it lasts us almost the whole week. I have a small cooler I pack with fruit. We make grits and/or oatmeal on the one-burner stove, and do eggs in a cast iron skillet on the grill. Super cheap, can be brought from home, and filling.

For lunch, we either do leftovers from the night before, or before we leave I make up a ton of sandwiches and put them in a cooler. I write on the Ziploc bag what they are, and then if someone gets hungry, they just grab a sandwich. This works well because we are often on the boat, swimming, or just hiking and can't spend a lot of time preparing.

We go away a lot between my family and my in-laws and like to save as much $$$ as possible, so I've become quite frugal and creative as to what to take with us. We hardly ever eat fast food on the road and when we go away to a timeshare or such, we really only eat out maybe once every 2 days.

mama to sara faith -- 9.2007 and june claire -- 4.2010 (born at 27 weeks)
four angels watching over us -- 4.2003, 3.2004, 2.2009, 9.2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page