What else can I do with stew beef? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-31-2009, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last year we got a great deal on a side of pastured beef.:

We've gone through most of the steaks, roasts and ground beef but there is still lots of stew beef left.

We love beef stew but can only eat so much of it. I've made Hungarian goulash with the stew meat which I loved but my kids don't care for so it's not something I'm going to make often.

This year when we get another side of beef we are going to request more ground beef and less stew meat but in the mean time I'm looking for recipes to use up the stew meat I've got.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#2 of 14 Old 08-31-2009, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can turn it into ground beef. Or you can make Stroganoff, stir fries, kabobs, fajitas, tacos, burritos, any recipe that calls for cut up beef.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#3 of 14 Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
curries? stir fry?

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#4 of 14 Old 08-31-2009, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

It's too tough for quick cooking things like stir fry or kabobs and I don't have a meat grinder (and can't afford one right now). I've never made Stroganoff, do you have a recipe?

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#5 of 14 Old 08-31-2009, 04:25 PM

You try a ground nut stew (chicken, beef, tomatoes, peppers, peanut butter, etc...) It's incredibly filling and delicious!

You can also try different variations of beef stew. I LOVE Italian style beef stew, with red wine, tomatoes, celery, etc...

http://mealplanner.eatrealgood.com/recipes/9

Or a winter style beef stew, with kale and white beans:

http://mealplanner.eatrealgood.com/recipes/10
#6 of 14 Old 08-31-2009, 04:33 PM

Marinate in salsa and make taquitos. We do it every time. Yum!

"It's too tough for quick cooking things like stir fry or kabobs"

Huh. Cook it longer on a low boil in its own gravy if you have any, and do a slower cook next time.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#7 of 14 Old 09-01-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon Feimorgan View Post
It's too tough for quick cooking things like stir fry or kabobs and I don't have a meat grinder (and can't afford one right now). I've never made Stroganoff, do you have a recipe?
Basicly, Stroganoff is beef cooking in sour cream and served over/with egg noodles. Google has a lot of sites of recipes.

Brown stew meat and chopped onion in deep skillet or dutch oven (I use olive oil as needed). Add 1 1/2 cups beef broth, 2-3 chopped garlic cloves (the saying in my family is "there is no such thing as too much garlic"), and sliced mushrooms. Season to taste (salt, pepper, Worchestershire sauce, etc.). Simmer down the broth. Add 2-3 T flour to thicken. Add 1-2 cups sour cream. Cook egg noodles (either white or whole wheat). Either stir the noodles into the beef or serve the beef over the noodles.

Look in thrift stores for a hand crank grinder that clamps to the table. This is similar to what I bought at a thrift store: http://www.goodmans.net/get_item_un-...at-grinder.htm

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#8 of 14 Old 09-01-2009, 01:53 AM

You can get a hand-crank grinder on e-bay too. There are tons.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#9 of 14 Old 09-01-2009, 12:36 PM

If it's tough how about marinating it to tenderize it a bit? Or how about cooking it in the crockpot? You could put whatever spices and some liquid and the slow cooker would tenderize it. Maybe try that with some asian-type sauce, add some stir-fry type veggies towards the end of cooking (so they don't get too mushy) and serve over steamed rice? Or try the slow cooker with some tex-mex spices and wrap in tortillas with lettuce and tomatoes?
#10 of 14 Old 09-01-2009, 01:53 PM

http://www.bigoven.com/stew+meat_recipes

Looks like some awesome recipes!!! Bbq beef looks yummy!!!

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#11 of 14 Old 09-02-2009, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No Peek Casserole!

We're having it for dinner tonight, in fact.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#12 of 14 Old 09-06-2009, 09:21 PM

meat. yeah I would dip in flour and cook in a little oil. thats it. yum yum.

cook it like you would a roast. use it like you would left over roast.

see meat. once done cooking make gravy with the drippings and serve over noodles (meat and gravy)

add sour cream and mushrooms and call it stroganoff. serve over fried potatoes or noodles. Some people add ketchup too.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#13 of 14 Old 09-06-2009, 09:25 PM

mushroom barley soup :

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#14 of 14 Old 09-09-2009, 03:28 PM

Stag Chili

signature currently in transition

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page