Too much brie. Ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-31-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Against my better judgement, I sent DH to the grocery store alone.

One of his impluse purchases was a big wedge of brie, too much to just keep on hand for occasional brie binges. (I am not really that into brie lately)

Anyone have any ideas for using it up where I can incorporate it into main or side dishes?

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#2 of 9 Old 08-31-2009, 05:02 PM

One of our weaknesses is a brie app. I've only made it with whole wheels, but I'm sure you could adapt for a wedge. I cut the wheel through the middle, as if you were cutting a cake into two layers. Stuff the center with caramelized red onions and almonds. Replace the top and bake until melty. Eat with crackers, crudite, or bread. Soooo good.

I also love sandwiches made with brie, apples and a drizzle of honey. You can use a lot of brie in one sandwich!

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#3 of 9 Old 08-31-2009, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by russsk View Post
One of our weaknesses is a brie app. I've only made it with whole wheels, but I'm sure you could adapt for a wedge. I cut the wheel through the middle, as if you were cutting a cake into two layers. Stuff the center with caramelized red onions and almonds. Replace the top and bake until melty. Eat with crackers, crudite, or bread. Soooo good.

I also love sandwiches made with brie, apples and a drizzle of honey. You can use a lot of brie in one sandwich!
this is perfect. I have a big bag of pecans to use up. I could put those inside instead of the almonds. Almonds don't last long enough to go into a dish in our house, I can eat handfuls without realizing it.

With brie, I need something savory or protein-y to go with it. I don't know why but over the years my taste for brie has changed. My dad would buy big wheels and kept it on the counter. I used to eat it right off the plate with a fork. Not any more, it is funny how our tastes change.

#4 of 9 Old 08-31-2009, 05:29 PM

I love brie en croute - I also stuff mine, though we prefer sweet with brie, so stuffings include roasted almonds and cherries, roasted apples and cranberries etc.

You can either use regular pastry crust to encase the brie or you can make/buy (I BUY, of course ) puff pastry or phillo.

What a delicious problem to have!!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#5 of 9 Old 08-31-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

So you just wrap the brie in the crust and bake? Brillant!

I love puff pastry dough.

Should the dough seam be up or down?

#6 of 9 Old 08-31-2009, 06:19 PM

That's exactly what you do!!! I've done seam up and seam down, both work!! Wedges are easy to work with!

During the holidays brie en croute is "my thing" that I bring to all the parties/eves/dinners - I guess that might have something to do with our favouritism towards sweet cranberries and apples

I've done whole wheels seam up made to look like wrapped presents with cut-out pastry bows and seam down with cut-out holly leaves and berries etc of the remaining puff pastry. It looks so fancy, but it's sooo ridiculously easy! As long as the puff pastry stays cold you're golden.

I'm wondering if one could freeze a wrapped brie. Maybe I'll test it out with a wedge! That would be handy!

ETA brie en croute with blackberry jam is another sinfully delicious favourite!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
#7 of 9 Old 08-31-2009, 06:29 PM

I once made amazing sandwiches with brie- they had brie, carmalized onions and sauteed apples on nice bread- the whole thing was grilled or baked.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#8 of 9 Old 08-31-2009, 08:45 PM

I love brie heated in the oven with some tart jam on top for a sweet version or sundried tomatoes for a savoury one. Lately I've been eating brie on my lunch sandwich a lot - with sliced roasted chicken breast, carmelized onions, and grilled sliced portobello mushrooms. There's usually something green there also, arugula or baby spinach would work well. Maybe spread the bread with some roasted garlic. Mmmm... this would make a tasty dinner with a little salad too!
#9 of 9 Old 09-01-2009, 08:30 AM

Another awesome sandwich with Brie -bosc pears, dijon mustard on a crusty bread. These are absolutely amazing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page