Chicken recipes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-15-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been eating chicken for a couple of years now after being vegetarian. Initially my dh was still vegetarian, so I always just baked a chicken breast on the side. Dh is now eating chicken too but we still always seem to just bake it on the side (very different from our vegetarian cooking -we're pretty adventurous!). I still only have vegetarian cookbooks though and I don't really know where to start with incorporating chicken. I've put it in pasta and made chicken tacos, but I need something more hmm..... interesting I guess.
#2 of 4 Old 09-18-2009, 03:39 PM

Quesadillas: We cook the chicken in a slow cooker. Then you just make up quesadillas with whatever you want in them. (Chicken, cheese, veggies, salsa..etc)

Chicken Pesto: Another easy favorite. Cook the chicken in a slow cooker. Buy the Knorr Pesto Sauce Mix. Chop up the chicken to bite sized pieces and add it to the pasta and sauce.

Chicken Fried Rice: There are numerous recipes online. Just find the one you like.

Chicken Tortilla Soup: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken...-V/Detail.aspx

Lacquered Chicken: (recent favorite) http://www.recipezaar.com/Lacquered-...n-Wings-127394

lol I have a couple more but I'd have to bust out the recipe books.

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#3 of 4 Old 09-18-2009, 05:08 PM

Personally, I'm not a fan of the texture of chicken cooked in the crockpot. It's too soft for me. So, for including chicken in any and all recipes, I bake it first, then shred it, then incorporate it into recipes.

Some ways we like chicken:

-fried (what can I say; I'm from Georgia)
-in chicken and rice casserole
-in chicken tettrazini
-thin cutlets (Top Chef calls them paillards) cooked with a pan sauce. Something like piccata or even just stock and a bit of orange juice.
-chicken salad. A million and one variations of chicken, mayo, and celery
-chicken sandwiches (we like 'em best, well, fried )
-grilled. I really love grilled chicken, especially bone-in thighs. So good.
-slow smoked (this is what we call barbecue).
-in gumbo.
#4 of 4 Old 09-23-2009, 02:20 PM

I like to slice boneless chicken breast into 2 thin slices for better texture. Pounding them with a mallet and sauteeing an a little bit of butter and olive oil is delicious, and if you add some liquid to the pan (wine, chicken broth) and simmer, they come out so tender!

Another delicious thing to do is shake equal parts salt, pepper, thyme, garlic, and chili powder together and cut the raw chicken into bite size pieces. Shake with the seasonings and either do the simmer method, or a stir fry, so so good!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page