When you freeze things like.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chicken and Dumplings, enchiladas, etc...what do you put them in to freeze??? I'm new to 'feeding the freezer', and am kind of clueless.....

Thanks!

me, dd1, dd2, ds, and #4 due March 1. dbf has 2 of his own, so it will be an adventure!

i like making things. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 02:50 PM

I have several large pans that I freeze enchiladas and lasagnas in. I freeze the dish in the pan that I will bake it in.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:46 AM

For enchiladas I will prepare them and wrap 2-4 servings in foil. When I'm ready to cook, I will unwrap the enchiladas, put into a nice square pyrex, and then add on the sauce/cheese.

Working, freshly graduated! mama.  Loving life with DHguitar.gif , DD 7/09energy.gif, and DS 06/11 babyboy.gif.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:30 PM

I freeze it in the pan I will bake it in, but then I remove it, wrap it in foil, date with masking tape and place in a labeled bag. When I want to use it, I remove from the bag (and save the bag for the next time I need it), unwrap the item, place it in the pan and cook it (or thaw first, if preferred).
Other people have other methods though I'm sure.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 09-29-2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I freeze it in the pan I will bake it in, but then I remove it, wrap it in foil, date with masking tape and place in a labeled bag. When I want to use it, I remove from the bag (and save the bag for the next time I need it), unwrap the item, place it in the pan and cook it (or thaw first, if preferred).
Other people have other methods though I'm sure.
Neat! how do you get it out of the pan once it is frozen? Doesn't it stick in there?
Old 09-29-2009, 04:01 AM

Most of the time, I'm using metal pans so just a little warm water over the bottom will allow the item to pop right out. When I'm using glass/pyrex, I wrap the dish in foil first with lots of extra for wrapping over the top then freeze and finish wrapping post freezing. When you do it this way, though, you have to thaw before you can unwrap it or you end up with little bits of tin foil.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 10-01-2009, 02:03 PM

I freeze in foil pans from sams. I think I can get about 30 for $8 there.

Charlotte, midwife to some awesome women, wife to Jason, and no longer a mama to all boys S reading.gif('01), A nut.gif ('03) S lol.gif ('08) and L love.gif ('10).

User Tag List