What to pack for lunch - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2009, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DP works in construction. there is no fridge, microwave, etc. He's celiac. No Gluten. Sandwiches are out gluten free bread is expensive (6 mucks a loaf) and i still havent mastered making it.

What can he bring for lunch that wont break the bank and wont turn into yucky mush by the time he eats? He currently will just go to a grocery store on lunch and buy either cold cuts, a salad, chips and salsa, or some other snack to tide him over till dinner. he's not eating well, and its expensive to spend 20 bucks a day at the store!

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a thermos for dh's lunch. It's the 10 ounce Thermos brand one. I didn't think it would be big enough, but he says it is okay. He did request that I buy a second one this fall to send a second dish (instead of one bigger thermos).

I pack lunches before my brain works in the morning , so everyday, I follow the same thing: drink, main dish, crunchy, fruit or veggie, and a treat.

Today's lunch was leftovers (a beef stew over mashed potatoes), cherry tomato salad, yogurt, rice pudding, pretzels, and a drink. So, according to my formula, he got 2 treats. It won't kill him.

Yesterday was chicken salad (in the thermos), crackers, a banana, yogurt,and a drink.

Somedays it doesn't seem like enough food, but he says that it is. He has an insulated lunch bag that has a pocket on the outside. I keep 2 granola bars in there for days that he doesn't have enough food.

He really likes main dish salads (I pack the wetter stuff on the bottom, then the lettuce, and the dressing separate--he tosses it at lunch time), leftovers, soup when we have no leftovers. I sometimes pack cheese quesadillas (cook in the AM, let cool on a rack, then cut up, and I send with salsa for dipping). Sometimes I do a lunchable style--salami, cheese, crackers.

The veggie options are usually celery or carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, an apple, a banana, an orange. If it's close to payday, and we're desperate, applesauce. LOL

But mostly leftovers.

User Tag List