Homemade soup recipie thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-05-2009, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since its getting chilly I thought it would be a good time to start a homemade soup recipie thread...sorry dont have one at the moment but I would love yours!
#2 of 9 Old 10-06-2009, 10:47 AM

I mainly make potato soup. I don't have an actual recipe.

Boil some potatoes, carrots and onions in whatever stock I have on hand. (I'll often use a ham bone and then boil the veggies in the water left from boiling the meat off the bone.) When those are done, drain and make a white sauce of flour, milk and butter. Add whatever seasonings you want (mine is usually salt, pepper, garlic salt, celery salt). Add cheese, ham, bacon, whatever and let cook together.

I do have a recipe for tomato soup that we love but I'll have to post it later.
#3 of 9 Old 10-09-2009, 07:47 AM

Pasta e fagioli (or) chili soup (or) polkadot soup (different ways to sell it to DD)

My recipe for this has changed so much over the years. DH used to eat it for breakfast (and when he eats something for breakfast it's all he eats for months on end.) Sorry about quantities, they are approximate.

In a large stock pot, saute a large onion, 2 carrots diced and 2-3 ribs celery and a tablespoon of minced garlic. Season with salt and pepper. When it is almost done softening, add a teaspoon (or to taste) of rosemary. Remove from pan.

Brown a pound of ground beef (original recipe called for Italian sausage which I never used.) Remove from pan.

Add equivalent of 3 cans of kidney beans (I cook my own and freeze so this too is approximate) and enough chicken stock to cover, then puree with an imersion blender. Add veg and beef back in, along with 2-3 more cans of beans (I usually use at least 1 of canellini beans at this point) and chicken stock to a thin consistency. Add a bay leaf. (If I'm using asceptically packaged stock I often use 2 whole containers, or about 6 cups homemade.) Sometimes I also put in tomatoes at this point and it becomes "chili soup."

Bring to a boil and add 1 cup pasta. Our favorite is shells, but I just recently began using Israeli Couscous and then it becomes Polka dot soup. Cook until pasta softens. Sooo fun! Season to taste.

This usually makes enough for 2 meals, and then two freezer containers.
#4 of 9 Old 10-09-2009, 03:23 PM

Cream of Tomato Soup (from the Pioneer Woman site)

1 large onion chopped
3 T butter
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 48 oz can tomato juice
1 cup sherry or white wine
salt, pepper and sugar to taste
1-2T chicken stock powder
handful chopped parsley
1.5 cups heavy cream
Saute onions in butter until translucent.

Stir in tomatoes, juice, chicken powder, sugar and spices. Taste and reseason as needed. Bring to a boil, add parsley. Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream.

Leave as or blend with hand blender until smooth. Serve.

Winter Squash Soup

3 squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
1 onion, chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Place the squash, cut sides down, in a baking dish. Add 1/8 inch water in baking dish, cover with foil and bake 35-40 minutes or until tender. Cool.

In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until onion is softened but not brown.

Scrape the squash out of the flesh and add to onions. Add the stock and heavy cream. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.

Puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.

French Onion Soup

2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
½ jumbo sweet onion sliced
5 cups mixed broth (chicken/beef)
½ cup red wine
½ tablespoon Worcestershire
1 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons parsley
1 bay leaf
½ tablespoon balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper
toast and mozzarella

1.Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in salt and sweet onions. Cook 35 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized and almost syrupy.

2. Mix broth, red wine and Worcestershire sauce into pot. Add herbs. Simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaf. Reduce the heat to low, mix in vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Cover and keep over low heat to stay hot while you prepare the bread.

3. Preheat oven broiler. Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet and broil 3 minutes, turning once, until well toasted on both sides. Remove from heat; do not turn off broiler.

4. Arrange 4 large oven safe bowls or crocks on a rimmed baking sheet. Fill each bowl 2/3 full with hot soup. Top each bowl with 1 slice toasted bread and mozzarella.
5. Broil 5 minutes, or until bubbly and golden brown. As it softens, the cheese will cascade over the sides of the crock and form a beautifully melted crusty seal. Serve immediately.

Cream of Carrot Soup

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter, cubed
2-1/4 cups sliced carrots
1/2 large potato, peeled and
cubed
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken
broth

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2c milk (until desired consistency is reached)
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary,
crushed
dash nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender. Add carrots, potato, broth and ginger. Cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool for 15 minutes.

2. Transfer to a blender or food processor in small batches; cover and process until smooth. Return all to the pan; stir in the cream, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until heated through.

Mushroom Soup

5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 ½ cups chicken broth
½ cup chopped onion
⅛ teaspoon dried thyme
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black
pepper
1 cup half-and-half
1 tablespoon sherry
In a large heavy saucepan, cook mushrooms in the broth with onion and thyme until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.

In blender or food processor, puree the mixture , leaving some chunks of vegetable in it. Set aside.

In the saucepan, melt the butter, whisk in the flour until smooth. Add the salt, pepper, half and half and vegetable puree. Stirring constantly, bring soup to a boil and cook until thickened. Adjust seasonings to taste, and add sherry.
#5 of 9 Old 10-12-2009, 08:56 PM

1oz butter
1 medium potato diced small
1/2 a leek
1 onion

Sweat all this together for 10 minutes

Add a pint of veg stock and a good handful of red (split) lentils and simmer for 15 mins ish.

7oz greens (chard or any green leaf veggies) wash and cut out stems then chop. (you can use the stems to make more stock)

Add greens to pan and simmer for 3 mins

Whizz it with a hand blender til flecked with green then add

9fl oz milk and heat up again to nice and hot.

We have this quite regularly and this quantity just feeds 2 adults, 2 teens and 2 little people perfectly.
#6 of 9 Old 10-13-2009, 11:52 AM

Tomato soup

olive oil
onion, chopped
garlic, chopped
2 cups vegetable stock
1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes (I've used fresh cut up tomatoes as well)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 bay leaves
salt
pepper

Brown garlic and onion in olive oil and then put in crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low 6-8 hours. Remove bay leaves and puree.

Taco Soup

1 lb hamburger, browned
1 can large stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 jar taco sauce
1 pack taco seasoning
1/2 onion, chopped.

Mix and cook all day in the crockpot. Serve with corn chips, cheese and sour cream.

These are both really easy to change. The taco soup one, I usually just dump frozen roasted tomatoes, some tomato sauce and a bunch of seasonings in instead of what it calls for.
#7 of 9 Old 10-26-2009, 01:45 AM

Lentil and Swiss Chard Soup

1 cup brown lentils rinsed
4 cups water
4 cups chicken stock or low sodium broth
Salt
3 Tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving, optional
1 large onion, chopped
pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
4 garlic cloves
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 bunch of Swiss Chard (I have used red, green and both), coarsely chopped..(recipe says use only leaves, I also use ribs chopped)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
Freshly ground pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine the lentils, with the water, stock and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and bring to a boil.
Cover partially and cook over moderately low heat until the lentils are barely tender, about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the 3 T of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions, crushed red pepper, and a pinch of salt, and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is lightly browned, 7-8 minutes. Add the garlic and cilantro and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add the chard and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes.

Add the chard mixture to the lentils, cover partially and simmer until thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into bowls, season with pepper and olive oil and serve.

6 servings.
Food and Wine December 2002

I often double this, it keep well, my kids love this soup!

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#8 of 9 Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 AM

This a soup I made for a lunch one day and it stuck...
1 TBS oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
1 lb. lentils
2 cups broth
2 cups water
1 cup brown rice (texmati my fav)
1 pkg. baby spinach leaves
dash of lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste.
Saute the garlic, onion,and carrot in oil, tl onion is soft. Add broth and water. Heat to boiling. Add lentils and rice. Cook with tilted lid, 45 min. or until rice and lentils are cooked to desired. Add torn spinach leaves. Let sit 5 minutes, or til spinach is wilted. Add lemon juice and seasoning to desired taste. Makes about 10 cups.
Christi

wife, SAH, LDS momma. I have a 14yr ds & 16yr ds ,3yr dd & 4 mo. dd (6/09) and 16yr dsd, 14yr dss.
#9 of 9 Old 10-27-2009, 12:17 PM

This is one of our family favorites!
www.mothering.com/recipes/cabbage-soup

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page