Extra Milk - What to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-09-2009, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right now I have a gallon and a half of whole milk and will get another gallon and a half being delivered tomorrow. Any good ideas on how to use it up or recipes that call for alot of milk? I know you can freeze milk, but it's in glass bottles from the farm and they are filled to the top (and I'm afraid it would taste funny).

Maybe yogurt? I don't know, never made it before.

Any ideas would be great, thanks!

Mom to Izzy biggrinbounce.gif (12/04) and Violet 2whistle.gif (9/07). love.gif  saynovax.gif treehugger.gif

#2 of 9 Old 10-09-2009, 11:48 AM

My go-to recipe when I need to use up milk is rice pudding. Is it raw milk that you have or pasteurized? If raw you can let it sour - that's really tasty.
#3 of 9 Old 10-09-2009, 09:55 PM

i made a list the other day but can't find it.

Cream of soups, salmon stew
pot pies
pudding

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#4 of 9 Old 10-09-2009, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

yum, thanks! I just couldn't think of anything!

Mom to Izzy biggrinbounce.gif (12/04) and Violet 2whistle.gif (9/07). love.gif  saynovax.gif treehugger.gif

#5 of 9 Old 10-10-2009, 09:30 AM

My sister would get tons of milk when she was on WIC and would make soft cheese. If it turns to buttermilk- pancakes, biscuits and corn bread pudding. Good luck.
#6 of 9 Old 10-12-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzysmom View Post
Right now I have a gallon and a half of whole milk and will get another gallon and a half being delivered tomorrow. Any good ideas on how to use it up or recipes that call for alot of milk? I know you can freeze milk, but it's in glass bottles from the farm and they are filled to the top (and I'm afraid it would taste funny).

Maybe yogurt? I don't know, never made it before.

Any ideas would be great, thanks!
I freeze milk in 1/2 gallon mason jars from the farm. What I do is pour off enough milk so that it's well below the "shoulder" of the bottle and then let it freeze with the lid off. Once it's frozen, I put the top on. The cream does rise to the top and it can be a little 'flaky' when it thaws if it's a milk that's higher in butterfat like 100% jersey milk (assuming that it's raw, non-homogenized milk), but I've had no problems with it dissolving once the milk is shaken a bit and it tastes fine. I have about 8 gallons of milk frozen right now.

Other things I've done is make cottage cheese and ice cream.
#7 of 9 Old 10-27-2009, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, I was going to suggest cheese (home made mozzarella--yum!), yogurt, and ICE CREAM!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#8 of 9 Old 10-27-2009, 12:06 PM

I second the idea for homemade cheese. I was surprised how easy it is to make. Once we had WAY too much milk from WIC, and I made cheese, it was very good.

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#9 of 9 Old 11-07-2009, 04:31 PM

I've made a whole a gallon of milk into yogurt before in glass canning jars. I used the light in my oven & was monitoring the temp turing it on briefly if the temp got too low.

Giving Love serves as a wonderful reminder that we already have an abundance of Love within, "it is in giving that we receive."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page