Toddler Lunch Ideas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-23-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 16mo refuses any sort of meat, and has rejected leftovers for the past couple of weeks at daycare. She will eat cheese, crackers and grapes at lunch, but I'd like to have a little more variety and nutritional value ... any suggestions for finger foods / lunches for my daughter?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 11:35 PM

A little off topic, my toddler (25mths) was refusing what we sent in for lunch a lot too. We thought she was just being a really picky eater. Turns out 8 out of 11 kids in the class got "school" lunch and we decided to try that instead. Now she eats lunch everyday. She just wanted what the other kids were eating. I know its not the healthiest, but really I got sick of wasting money on food she didn't eat, having her be grouchy because she was hungry when we picked her up and she wasn't gaining weight. Maybe your daycare has this option too? Also it opened her up to some foods that she was refusing at home, like chicken and hot dogs. My hope is that once she gets through this stage, I can start sending in similar, healthier options, so it looks the same as what the other kids are eating
Old 10-26-2009, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Now that you've mentioned this, I seem to recall the teacher casually mentioning that she was interested in the ravioli that the other children were bringing. Maybe I'll do some investigating into what the other kids are eating, and see if I can approximate what they're doing in a healthy way. I will ask if they have plans for a school lunch. Thank you again!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:19 PM

Glad you think that might help! I contemplated not writing it, as I thought you might dismiss it as off topic. But I know we have been struggling for months to find foods she would eat, and all the while she just wanted what the other kids were having, it had nothing to do with the actual food. (We would say "but she eats it at home! We don't know why she won't eat at school!) We go to a very large daycare and they offer school lunch everyday, so it has helped
Old 10-27-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

That's funny! We've said the same things. She was so into black beans, avocado, and whole wheat pasta -- would try anything, loved everything -- and then when daycare began, she quit eating her normal lunches. I guess the lure of Chef Boyardee is too strong!!

User Tag List