What do you freeze your casseroles in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-26-2009, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The only casserole dishes I have are pyrex, but I've heard that if you freeze pyrex and then cook with it in the oven, it could "explode". Has anyone else heard of this or know if it's true? I would really like to start feeding my freezer, but I don't know if I should get different dishes first.

Mommy to (6-24-09)
Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live.
#2 of 5 Old 10-26-2009, 12:55 PM

Subbing, because I'm interested too. Plus, it seems like it would be expensive to buy pyrex and then tie it up in the freezer for a while.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#3 of 5 Old 10-26-2009, 02:06 PM

Line your pyrex with foil (leaving enough over the side to wrap over the top. After its cooked/prepared (if you cooked it let it cool down first!!) you wrap it throw it in the freezer long enough for it to freeze and then it can come out of the dish in a block. Then when you cook/heat it up you just set it back in the pyrex dish and unwrap it Also makes for very easy clean up!! You don't want to put a cold pyrex dish in the oven because it would explode, but after its room temperature it should be fine

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#4 of 5 Old 10-26-2009, 02:10 PM

I have a couple things i do. IF you don't mind wasting foil, line your casserole and oil well, put in your casserole then freeze for a few hours. Take it out, wrap the foil around and wrap extra in freezer bag, more foil or whatever depending on how long you plan to freeze. The other option is to just oil the casserole (i like that white corningware a lot) and dump the food in, and freeze a few hours, then take it out and dip in hot water a minute and pry it out with a spatula or something, then wrap in platic wrap or whatever and freeze. then when you take it out just use the same dish you froze it in. I also love to use bread pans the same way.

When I make things like lasagna, shepherds pie, I usually make one for dinner and then freeze a couple smaller ones in bread pans the same way. I like to make different lasagnas since everyone prefers a certain one anyways, so if i make all the stuff for 3 different ones it's not all my time for one meal. Lasagnas BTW are perfect for loaf pans because one noodle fits in the bottom and you can just stack away.

Another favorite thing to do for me is freeze in large muffin tins. These work SO well and make fun dinners. I use the large ones for dh/myself sometimes and regular sized for the kids. You can fill the whole pan up, freeze, then dump out and individually wrap then rebake like mini casseroles
#5 of 5 Old 11-10-2009, 12:50 AM

I love the muffin tins idea!

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page