meal planning for dummies, and a GOOD crock pot cookbook... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-09-2009, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where to start? I am a total last-minute ok-we-need-dinner-in-45-minutes kind of mama. It mostly works, since we are organic farmers and have lots of good ingredients on hand at most times. But...we end up eating the same boring stuff over and over, and I get stressed out. I am a sahm and really should be able to produce some good meals for my family! (Me, dh, and dd, 3.5, with another due come spring.)

So...how to start? I feel like it should be obvious but somehow I just can't wrap my head around it. Thanks mamas!

And, while I'm here...can anyone recommend a GOOD slow cooker cookbook? Every single one one I've encountered involves adding cans of soup. Yuck. Is there a whole foods crockpot cookbook?

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 11-09-2009, 10:26 AM

I have found blogs to be invaluable when looking for healthy meal plans and crock pot recipes that don't call for cans of cream-of-anything soup.

I hope it's ok to post links to blogs here:

One of my favorite crock pot recipes- overnight steel cut oats: http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2009/01...t-oatmeal.html

A sample menu plan: http://www.naturalonabudget.com/2009...n-nov8-14.html

A sample cooking and baking day plan: http://www.naturalonabudget.com/2009...day-plans.html

I just did my first cooking and baking day over the weekend- it was a lot of work but it feels VERY good to have a full supply of healthy prepared meals and ingredients to work with for the rest of the week, not to mention knowing I won't be left scrambling for dinner a single night this week!

I also have a few recipes on my blog which can be found by going to my home page under my username. I plan to add a lot more in the future.
#3 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 04:28 PM

The Vegetarian Slow Cooker recipe book is preety good. It does call for canned beans every once in awhile, but we just add in our own cooked bulk beans. Last night we had What A Dal - garbanzo beans, lots of veggies, lentils, curry, and coconut milk. Yum!

Kristin, sahm to ds Avery (11-15-08) 3 raw fed
#4 of 14 Old 11-13-2009, 06:38 PM

I go to the Crockpot 365 blog and she has a book too. Some of her recipes do have packets (like packets of seasonings) but most of them are excellent whole food (or whole food adaptable) recipes. So far, my kids have liked all the ones I've made!

signature currently in transition
#5 of 14 Old 12-18-2009, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know this is an older thread, but my favorite crock pot cook book and now the only one I use, pretty much, is the "Not your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" They now have one for entertaining for crowds that has good family-sizable recipes in it, too.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#6 of 14 Old 12-18-2009, 11:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh...and this is a classic of mine from a really great thread that I'll bump for you (because my way of planning certainly isn't the ONLY way of planning, but I think it's a good way ):

Okay, I've said this before, so sorry to the mama's who've heard it all. First, get yourself a couple of really good cookbooks. No, you don't have to learn a new recipe every day, but the ones I'm going to suggest will help you, over time, to take what you learn and apply it to the stuff that you already make so that, just maybe, people won't turn their noses up anymore.

Get yourself a book called "The New Best Recipe" by the editors of Cooks illustrated. Last time I checked, you could get it off of Amazon for $14.95, and it included a free copy of the magazine, too (and the magazine is as awesome as the cook book...). The editors of cooks illustrated take great pains to honestly figure out what makes a recipe great, and then they tell you exactly how they came to that particular recipe and WHY certain things work the way they do...so this is the part you can bring to your other cooking.

They also have a book called "The Quick Recipe" with the same concepts, only the recipes are generally quicker than your average four course meal ( ) to make. It's a good one to try something from once a week.

There are a bunch of others I can recommend, too, if you want, but I'll move on unless you let me know you'd like more of those suggestions.

Then, I get a calendar (I have a great one right on my computer) and look at six weeks.

I assign a TYPE of meal to every day. For us, Mondays are roasts (in the oven, on the grill, or in the crock pot...crock pot roasts are great for work days) with corresponding sides. This one type of meal allows many options...turkey (I buy many on sale at Christmas), chicken (watch the loss leaders for roaster chickens about every six weeks), ham (lots of sales at easter), pork loin (best price I've found is at costco), lamb, you name it! And within those options are many variations...different prep styles, marinades, sides, herbs...all fairly easy!

Tuesdays are soup or stew, salad, and bread...I usually take the remaining roast/bones from the day before to make this soup. If we're already sick of said roast, I'll freeze this soup/stew and pull another "flavor" out of the freezer. I often put the bread in the bread maker and the soup in the crock pot, and this is also a "gonna be gone all day" "quick" meal. There are so many possibilities with soup...noodles, rice, dumplings, stews, cream base, veggie soups, you name it.

Wednesdays are international days. So pasta is a possibility, but only every six weeks! Otherwise, we do thai, chinese, mexican, other italian...we're irish, so good irish meals, french...this allows for some spice and "mixing it up." Within those "nationalities" are so many options that we rarely have the same thing on wednesdays for a minimum of 8-12 weeks, rather than the usual six.

Thursday is breakfast day. Pancakes, waffles, blintzes, crepes, french toast, and within those types lots of variations (we have five variations of pancakes alone). Also, we vary the protein (sausage, ham, eggs (and TYPES of eggs)). We will often have fruit, berries, and orange juice with breakfast night.

Friday is Pizza night. Pizza, believe it or not, has lots of possibilities. Thin crust, thick crust, normal crust, calzone, barbeque, alfredo, all meat, all veggie, a little bit of everything...depending on how much vegetable matter is on the pizza we may or may not include salad that night.

Saturday is leftover night. If there aren't leftovers, we'll have sandwiches (egg salad, tuna salad, grilled cheese, tuna melts, grilled peanut butter, cold cuts if there are some left that need to be eaten) and raw veggies.

Sunday we often go to either my in-laws or one of my parents' houses for dinner, just because we like to spend time with family. We usually bring a dish to pass. If by some chance we're home that night, its a vegetarian meal night.

So, in planning, I do all the mondays first. I make a rule that I am not allowed any repeats in that six week block of Mondays. Then the Tuesdays, and so on and so on.

So, these are meals I KNOW how to make, even if they're not something I've made in a while. Often I WILL try one new recipe a week, on a night I know my husband will be there to help out, to hopefully add to the repretoire. Because they're stuff I know how to make, I dont always have to think about serving sizes, 'cause I know how much of it we eat. However, the rule is that leftover night in our house is most often sandwich night...we are pinching pennies, so if there are leftovers, dh often brings them to lunch, and if there is STILL some leftover, the kids and/or I will have them for lunch as well. We really try to keep waste down to a minimum.

EVERYTHING I make is from scratch, whole foods based, and just about everything I make I can make double of and freeze for a crazy day, and often do. DH occaisionally travels, so knowing when he'll be gone, I'll make sure I have a meal frozen for just about every day he's out of town...and all I have to do is reheat it. This means that we can be out and about (keeping busy keeps the kids from missing daddy QUITE so much), and still have a low cost, yet quick, meal on the table at dinner time!

Eight month old twins aren't going to eat that much for dinner. Even if they are eating table food, remember that the rule is to give them as much as the size of their fist, as that is the size of their tummy. And that is the total quantity! So a half dollar sized piece of meat, a table spoon of veggies, a table spoon of starch...

Hope some of that helps. If you really need good recipes, ask friends and family members for their best and favorite dinner recipes. Give them a try, one a week. Get THE NEW BEST RECIPE, give some of the roast and other dinner recipes a try. There's a great crock pot book called "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" that has really REALLY yummy not boiled recipes in it. Think of it as a challenge...try to mix it up and save money while you're at it.

Plan on an hour or so for planning when you start...I've got it down to about 45 min. now, sometimes a half hour.

It just plain makes life easier, especially with kids and a husband who is at work all day!

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#7 of 14 Old 12-30-2009, 09:47 PM

I second the recommendation for "Not your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook".
#8 of 14 Old 12-30-2009, 10:21 PM

courtney e I LOVE how you work the leftovers into your plans! I HATE wasting food, and build foods into the next meal, so your plan really speaks to me.
#9 of 14 Old 12-30-2009, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, everyone. I have been in a REAL rut lately. But I am going to order a couple of good books and try for a fresh start in the new year!

With appreciation for inspiration, and wishing you all a yummy year...
#10 of 14 Old 01-04-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtenay_e View Post
I know this is an older thread, but my favorite crock pot cook book and now the only one I use, pretty much, is the "Not your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" They now have one for entertaining for crowds that has good family-sizable recipes in it, too.
This is my FAVORITE crock-pot cookbook - I use it at least once/week!

Another favorite is The Gourmet Slow-Cooker.....the recipes are listed by region (Mexican, Indian, etc....) and are different that the usual "chicken & creamed soup" type recipes.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#11 of 14 Old 01-04-2010, 03:42 PM

I have a few recipes for slow cookers that I have collected here and there. If they call for canned whatever I usually just do my alternative. For instance I use beans I've soaked instead of canned beans or my own homemade cream of mushroom (which actually has mushrooms and cream)

Can I also suggest a electric pressure cooker? I have one and it is wonderful. Literally I made bean soup (from soaked beans) in 20 minutes. My "issue" is I always forget to defrost something. So I usually have little time for something to cook sometimes so it really cuts down on cooking time. Plus its electric so its not liek the old stove top ones that rattled and shook.
#12 of 14 Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 PM

another "not your mothers crockpot book" lover here.mike gave it to me for xmas this year ans iloooove it. used it 7 times since xmas.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#13 of 14 Old 01-05-2010, 01:09 PM

I am in a total cooking rut right now and just wanted to say thanks for the book suggestions, I am off to Amazon right now to add to the wish list.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#14 of 14 Old 01-05-2010, 04:18 PM

Since you mentioned you have organically farmed produce on hand most of the time, I wanted to point you in the direction of the CSA meal planner at EatRealGood:

http://mealplanner.eatrealgood.com

The main site is http://www.eatrealgood.com and has general info about shopping and cooking with a CSA.

But the meal planner itself has healthy, yummy recipes in it and it's designed to be used by entering what veggies you have on hand, and then finding recipes that work them in.

AND! You can refine your recipe search for gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan, 5 ingredients or less, and... CROCK POT meals!

I have a lot more recipes to put in the planner, and anyone can put recipes in (moderated by me, to keep out the canned soup ones, LOL), and I'm going to be leaning heavily in the direction of crock pot meals and 5 ingredient meals. I know I need simple recipes to use my CSA boxes throughout the weeks.

Hope this helps some folks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page