Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
-fajitas
-beef & Bean burritos
-spaghetti & meat sauce
-tacos
-homemade chicken nuggets w/rice & veg
-english muffin pizzas

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 01:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
quesadillas
goulash (meat, noodles, tomato soup)
grilled cheese and tomato soup
nachos
pancakes
scrambled eggs
homemade pizzas on flatout bread (on the grill)
homemade pizzas on english muffins

SAHM to the munchkins (14.5, 11.5, 9.5, 3, and almost 2)
Old 01-05-2010, 03:11 AM

Spanish Rice--1 lb of lean ground beef, 1 can diced tomatoes (no salt added and no seasonings), 2 cups minute brown or white rice. Brown the ground beef, add the tomatoes and cook until warm, add the rice and 1 cup of water. Cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes until rice is cooked. Season with pepper and lemon juice.

Some kind of pasta with tomato sauce

tuna casserole

salmon casserole--uses a lot of prepared/packaged food, but we love it....1 can of skinless boneless salmon, 1 package deluxe mac and cheese, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, 1 cup of frozen peas, 1/2 sleeve of ritz crackers. Cook mac and cheese as directed on box, remove from heat and add in salmon, soup and peas. Mix well. Transfer to a sprayed baking dish and top with crush crackers. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Mmmmmmm.

Salmon burgers

Fish sticks or chicken nuggets with french fries.

Not TTC, but not-not TTC...if that makes any sense!
for guidance while fostering dogs!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We do chicken & rice on days like these. We just boil chicken breasts in seasoned water with frozen seasoning blend (onions, red peppers, celery), then shred them up & add them to cooked rice. It is really tasty if you use plenty of seasoning.

Other easy throw-together meals are spaghetti with meat sauce (just brown some ground beef & add your favorite jarred sauce) or breakfast for supper.
Old 01-23-2010, 05:24 PM

We always have a jar of some sort of Indian simmer sauce, boneless chicken, rice and naan on hand for nights I want something fast. The simmer sauces are really good, and made with good ingredients. I have been able to find them at all the grocery stores around here in the international food isle.

Frozen ravioli, there are some really good ones out there, a jar of Newman's sauce (usually alfredo that I doctor up with fresh basil, and garlic), a salad, and garlic bread. I always have a sliced loaf of Italian bread in the freezer, so I can pull out what I need for garlic bread.

Hamburger strognoff. The recipe I used to make was a lot faster then the one I make now, because I finally found a recipe that doesn't have canned soup in it, but the ones with canned soup in it are fast.

I've actually taken to using my crock pot more during the week so I don't have to do a lot of cooking after school. This is a real time saver in the evenings, and it gives me more time w/DD after she's been in day care all afternoon, instead of in the kitchen cooking.

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

Old 01-23-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniellasMommy View Post
What do you make for dinner in a pinch on crazy days? What meals can you throw together in a few minutes, and always have the stuff laying around for?

Mine is chili.
2-3 Cans of beans (whichever kind looks/sounds good)
1-2 Can Tomato sauce
(can add 1 lb. browned ground turkey beef or chicken, or not)
Onion (dried if I'm feeling lazy, or in a REALLY big pinch)
Garlic (again, sometimes dried)
Cumin.
Chili powder.
love it! That is just what I thought of when I read the thread title. I just made chili this week. So fast to make and then it can cook for as long as you want. I added a handful of cut corn to mine and made corn muffins. We ate it for 2 dinners, 1 lunch and have a bit in the freezer for later.

treehugger.gifread.gifsewmachine.gif  Mama to joy.gif 3/03 and angel3.gif 12/06, married to jammin.gif for 18 years
Old 01-23-2010, 05:59 PM

-My number one fall back is garlic knots and/or homemade pizza (garlic/red/always with spinach or kale and maybe onions)

Pizza dough recipe:

2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 1/2 teaspoons of yeast
1 cup of warm water
1 tsp of sugar
1 tsp of salt

Mix sugar and yeast with water. Allow time to get nice and frothy, normally 5 minutes will do. Mix flours and salt in bowl, add water and mix. Knead until forms nice ball. It only needs to rest for 20 ish minutes, if in a hurry. BUT if you have time to let it rest for an hour it is even better. Put on a pan, spread fav toppings and bake at 400 for 12 minutes.

*I've experimented before with all types of flour. Reg all purpose flour works well for the full 2 1/2 cups. Using all ww makes for a very dense dough, if nothing else is added to it. I found that the above proportions are the best.

-I always have some frozen soup from the freezer. Last week I took out some lentil soup, added some extra veggies and leftover taco meat and rice.

-Frittata with veggies. So easy, and healthy (you can use part egg whites if desired). Last week it was spinach, broccoli and onions.

-We normally keep atleast one container of sauce in the freezer. Makes for a quick meal to just defrost, add some pasta and veggies.

caffix.gifChristine: Mama to bouncy.gif  DS 04/17/08  *Infant Stroke Survivor*  Always remembering:  brokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif

Took a 'break' from TTC and look what happened:  2ndtri.gif!!!!    praying.gif  for a healthy, full term baby to be born August 2012!!  Hoping for a vbac.gif!

Old 02-07-2010, 05:39 AM

Pizza pasta

3 cups uncooked macaroni or other small pasta
6 cups water (for cooking pasta)
1 lb ground beef OR ground italian sausage
1 jar pizza sauce OR
(6 oz can tomato paste
1 T olive oil
6 oz water
1 t oregano
1 t basil
1/2 t salt
dash pepper
dash Tabasco sauce
1 t vinegar)
1 green pepper, diced
1/2 onion, chopped

optional: 1/2 c shredded mozzarella
1 small can sliced black olives
1 small can sliced mushrooms

Put water on to boil. While waiting, brown meat in a skillet. Pour pasta into water and cook per instructions on package. Add onions to meat and saute until tender. Mix in pizza sauce and green peppers (also mushrooms, if using) and warm through. Drain pasta. Mix meat sauce into pasta, along with any optional ingredients. Sprinkle with mozzarella if desired.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 03-01-2010, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AniellasMommy View Post
What do you make for dinner in a pinch on crazy days? What meals can you throw together in a few minutes, and always have the stuff laying around for?

Mine is chili.
2-3 Cans of beans (whichever kind looks/sounds good)
1-2 Can Tomato sauce
(can add 1 lb. browned ground turkey beef or chicken, or not)
Onion (dried if I'm feeling lazy, or in a REALLY big pinch)
Garlic (again, sometimes dried)
Cumin.
Chili powder.

Wow, this thread is almost three months old.

Mine is chili, as well. That recipe above, plus oregano and a couple of fresh jalapenos. Canned chopped tomatoes instead of tomato sauce.

I always have cans of beans and chopped tomatoes in the cupboard. Always! I rotate corn bread, buttermilk biscuits or a loaf of sour dough from the store.

Pasta and meat sauce. Almost always have this on hand.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:15 PM

I haven't read all the other replies, but my "throw together" meal is STIR FRY!
So easy and delicious. I use whatever vegetables I have in the fridge -- greens (kale, collards, asian greens, etc), mushrooms, onions, garlic, shallots, radishes (these are suprisingly delicious when cooked!), thinly sliced turnips, etc. I throw in the mushrooms and onions first, then add the stems of the greens, the radishes, etc, and then lastly I add the chopped up green leaves and let it all get nice and hot and wilted. I season with some vinegar (i love brown rice and umeboshi), and maybe soy sauce or salt and pepper. It usually comes out tasting great, it's fast, and it's easy!

Also, I really like this recipe, which uses a can of beans, and onion, and spices: http://orangette.blogspot.com/2008/0...-tomorrow.html (scroll down for the recipe).

Married to my sweetie and enjoying life with our fabulous dog.  Expecting #1 in August 2012!!!!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
In my house, its a tie between beef stroganoff, meatloaf, and salmon cakes. I pretty much ALWAYS have ground beef, some kind of rice noodle and of course spices. Easy peasy.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :

User Tag List