Smell free yet convenient/easy menu? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-19-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok I know, not possible BUT...

I'm pregnant and smells are really getting to me. Normally I cook all from scratch and that's fine and dandy. Except...now I'm wretching every time I smell ingredients. So I thought I'd pick everyone's brain here for meal ideas that 'throw together' pretty easily? I really haven't ever done a whole lot of convenience food, and I realize it's definitely not as healthy as from scratch, but I'd rather do that and be able to offer a real meal, than be dry heaving so badly we have Ramen. Again.

So let me have your easy convenient, not a lot of prep work menu ideas?

Thanks so much, my family will appreciate this greatly

My easiest meal so far is this:

Chicken breast, chopped
2 cans petite diced tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth
chopped celery
chopped onion
Basil

Bring to a simmer until chicken is cooked, add 1 bag frozen Ravioli and serve when heated through.

Now your turn!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#2 of 5 Old 12-19-2009, 11:53 PM

Frozen ravioli with red sauce.

Frozen cheese tortellini with pesto (although store bought pesto can get expensive, but one $7 thing will do 2+ meals for us so the cost is bearable. Red sauce is still cheaper though.)

Italian sausage sandwiches. Newman's makes a pepper red sauce that would be perfect to go on top of this.

English muffin pizzas. Tortilla 'thin crust' pizzas.

Pigs in a blanket--these are so yummy. Crescent rolls wrapped around mini hot dogs. NOT healthy, but very tasty and quick.

Baked quesadillas with veggies and cheese. Saute the veggies in olive oil first.

HTH

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#3 of 5 Old 12-20-2009, 03:22 AM

I sympathize, smells really made me sick with both pregnancies!!!

I often did no cook meals:

Cold meat, egg salad, rolls, cheese, sliced tomato and lettuce etc. potato salad.

Chicken cesear salad
Chef salad (pretty much whatever meat, cheese, hardboiled egg veggies...)

Also:

Soup

Crock pot meals like
bbq pulled pork on a bun
stew
jambalaya

I am not crunchy enough for this forum. Everyday I get a little crunchier though! :
#4 of 5 Old 12-20-2009, 01:02 PM

We ate a lot of salad with stuff

Salad with diced chicken and cheese
Salad with sliced turkey or ham
Salad with nuts

And lots of fresh fruits, peanut butter, and cereal

Once I was beginning to feel slightly better, I avoided cooking raw meat but dh would do it the day before and I could reheat it. (could this work for your dh, cook a few meats and either freeze and put in fridge?) This helped keep me from feeling sick cooking it, but still healthy.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#5 of 5 Old 12-20-2009, 09:11 PM

I'm 13+ weeks pregnant. I feel you pain, though I'm on the upside right now.

-Spaghetti with jarred sauce
-Chicken salad (in previous pregnancies, poultry has grossed me out, but in this one, I really like it A LOT, so the smell of cooking chicken doesn't bother me)
-Lunch meat sandwiches
-French dips. Heat store bought roast beef in packaged au jus mix (in the gravy aisle--you could also use a can of beef broth). Put on sliced buns, top with cheese, and heat in oven until cheese melts. Serve with au jus. These are quick and really good.
-frozen pizza Just keeping it real
-Frozen fish sticks (not really sticks, more of the "piece of whole fish" patty, I guess). Anyway, I cook these, add to a tortilla with lettuce, some sour cream, and some green hot sauce for quick fish tacos.
-quesadillas

And of course, the ever popular peanut butter, salads, and canned soup.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page