freezing meals for dummies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 12-27-2009, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wanting to start freezing our meals to help out with the stress in life. BUT I am totally lost about it. Can someone give me step by step of what they do? Like do you cook your meals and then freeze them or do you just put everything together and thaw it out to cook it? What kinda of containers do you use? I do have a food saver, is that good?

Someone please help me!!!

Getting back into the groove of being groovy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 12-27-2009, 02:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well it depends on what foods you want to freeze. Generally I stovetop cook items prior to freezing that need that (like browning hamburger meat) but won't bake things prior but that isn't always true.

For lasagna, I stovetop cooked the noodles and meat, assembled all the pieces and froze them (disposable brownie pan with a tin foil top sealed in gallon size food saver bags) when I want to serve them that is when I bake them.

Burritos- same thing
Lumpia- do NOT fry them before freezing as they get too crunchy for the foodsaver- so stovetop cook ingredients, roll, and freeze

Bread can go either way though- you can freeze the dough or you can bake it and freeze the bread. Generally when I make bread it is because I am trying to "use something up" like zuchini or bananas... so I will bake them and then freeze them because then the boys can have mama's bread for breakfast one day when they feel like it.

Generally I don't freeze food unless I am willing to make several batches of something.. several batches of chili or lasagna or whatever. In those cases, whatever item you want to make you can generally find a freezer recipe for it. I want to try making stuffed peppers for the freezer sometime soon.

Pasta doesn't always freeze well (sometimes it does but not always) so I would make say spaghetti sauce batches but then when I make spaghetti cook the noodles that day rather than cooking them early and freezing them cooked. But I do know people that have done it differently.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page