Can you freeze homemade pancakes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-28-2009, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen in the frozen foods section, pre-made frozen pancakes with the waffles. Would homemade pancakes do well like that? Freeze on a cookie sheet, I would think, and then what, microwave before eating?

Just trying to think of ways to have foods the family likes readily available...

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#2 of 15 Old 12-28-2009, 04:57 PM

Yes, it's great!

I find it works best when you make the smaller "mini" pancakes (like cookie sized). I froze them on cookie sheets, then rebagged into freezer bags, later heating in the toaster oven. I don't know about the microwave as it always seems to sog out bread. Oh, also, if you cook them a little lighter than how you'd usually do, I think that helps, since they will effectively be cooked twice.

My dd LOVES having instant pancakes available, but I won't buy the store kind coz they're either too expensive or have weird ingredients.

Happy and in love with my family!
#3 of 15 Old 12-28-2009, 05:02 PM

I just make a bunch, let them cool, toss them in a ziplock, and into the freezer they go. They do stick a little because I don't freeze them individually, but not that much. I reheat them in the toaster oven for the best results. Yum.
#4 of 15 Old 12-28-2009, 05:10 PM

Yep! We reheat in the toaster as well...makes them less gummy. I do them IQF style, and THEN package them up, so they don't stick together. Same with waffles.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#5 of 15 Old 12-28-2009, 05:35 PM

I do it too. Slightly undercook if planning to reheat in the toaster, but DD loves tiny ones, so we more often microwave them. I freeze them on tinfoil in the freezer, then once frozen stack in a ziplock. I reheat in the microwave for 15 seconds, check the middle isn't still icy.

I would say it's similar to freezing pasta-containing dishes or rice-containing dishes; you want drier pancakes going in so they don't get too mushy/gummy after defrosting.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#6 of 15 Old 12-28-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
I just make a bunch, let them cool, toss them in a ziplock, and into the freezer they go. They do stick a little because I don't freeze them individually, but not that much. I reheat them in the toaster oven for the best results. Yum.
That's what I do. Works great and I only have to make pancakes once a month or so!
#7 of 15 Old 12-28-2009, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've never tried to freeze them but I will make extra to store in the fridge. They will keep for 2-3 days. I don't know beyond that as that's only as long as they last in there before they're eaten. they reheat well in the toaster oven or get eaten cold as a snack or as a twist on a pb&j sandwich.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#8 of 15 Old 12-28-2009, 11:43 PM

Yes, we freeze them over here as well, after leaving a few in the fridge for DD to snack on as she likes. DD likes them cold, but when we heat them for everyone else, the toaster oven (or oven) works great. Like previous posters, we store them in ziplock bags, usually.
#9 of 15 Old 12-29-2009, 12:25 AM

We often do this with extra pancakes, and it works well for waffles, too. I've never done the microwave; we reheat in the oven on a cooling rack sitting on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees and they come out at the right consistency. Good luck; they are delicious!
#10 of 15 Old 12-29-2009, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I think I'm going to do this this weekend...I have a short work week and already got a bit of a start last night. I made pizza for dinner, and made an extra crust that is now in the freezer. Yay, my first freezer stocking item! LOL

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#11 of 15 Old 12-30-2009, 01:03 PM

We freeze them in freezer bags. I thaw them on a plate in the microwave (about 1 minute for 6 pancakes) and then toast them in the toaster. (If I don't thaw them, they are frozen in the middle.)
#12 of 15 Old 12-30-2009, 01:11 PM

Another vote for YES. Very yummy, too. We reheat in the toaster oven. The microwave makes them go too soft.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#13 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 AM

Another yes here. We do it with both pancakes and waffles. I separate each one with a tiny piece of wax paper and then store them in a freezer ziploc bag. My dc's love taking them in their school lunch so I take them out, cut them into strips and pack. They thaw by lunch time. At home I just use the microwave.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#14 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 12:27 PM

Yep...we freeze both pancakes and waffles. I just toss them all together into a ziploc and they come out fine.
#15 of 15 Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 PM

Oh yes, I freeze pancakes, breakfast burritos, waffles

Not all those who wander are lost 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page