s/o Would you cook outdoors year round? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-05-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We cook outdoors year round. Not every day, but we have been known to cook on a barbeque grill in the middle of winter.. just shovel a little around the grill and bundle warm (although admittedly once the fire is going it gets pretty warm and you don't need gloves really). Generally we do not cook DURING a snowstorm, but I know lots of people with a grill or a smoker in December, in January... I see this as perfectly normal.

Would you or have you cooked outdoors year round?
#2 of 14 Old 01-05-2010, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My parents do. We don't have long, super cold winters but we have some very cold days and nights here and there. If their plans include the grill and it gets cold, they just go on with it. I've seen my dad stand outside over the grill in the rain. They don't care, they just love to grill stuff. They also have some kind of other big element that they use for making BIG things - huge brisket, the big gumbo pot, etc.

We don't because we don't eat enough meat to make grilling all that necessary and I never have to feed so many people that I have to stir the gumbo with a boat oar.
#3 of 14 Old 01-05-2010, 03:13 PM

We do. We grill, anyway. We don't do indirect grilling (such as for ribs) because the ambient air temp does not allow the inside of the grill to get warm enough. We don't get a lot of snow, but it gets cold... 13F right now. I plan to grill out hamburgers tomorrow night and the high is supposed to be 5F. I love the cold, though.

ETA: I just saw the other thread. We use the gas grill in the winter and not the charcoal grill. As for smoking meat, we don't do that personally, but a friend, that happens to be both a neighbor and a co-worker has a smoker and does that throughout the year, as they are hunters. I think outdoor cooking throughout the year, even in cold temps is not really that big a deal. Like I said, though... I like the cold.
#4 of 14 Old 01-07-2010, 01:40 AM

Yes but I live in San Diego

Alyssa
Mama to Scott (USAF), Katie (18), Karlie (16), Kimmy (9), Klara (4.5), and Baby Khloe (2.5)
#5 of 14 Old 01-07-2010, 11:33 AM

We cook on the grill year round as do most people I know. I live in the northeast so it does get miserable in the winter.

I want a smoker but have yet to decide on the model. when I do finally get one, we will use that year round also.

Mom to DS, born fall 05 after ,,, wife/best friend to DH We have
#6 of 14 Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 PM

Oh yeah, we grill year round. I don't know how else to cook a steak! Our grill is beside the house on the patio so it isn't that terrible.

We don't have a smoker, but lots of friends do and I think they prefer to do it during the winter when it's not so hot.
#7 of 14 Old 01-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Absolutely!

We use the grill at least once or twice a week year round. We're going to be grilling burgers tonight and we have at least 6 inches of snow on the ground and should be getting another 3 tonight.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
#8 of 14 Old 01-07-2010, 03:23 PM

We use the outdoor grill year round. We made steaks on the grill for New Year's Eve There's a path shoveled through the snow to the grill on our deck.

That said, there are times when we use the George Forman grill indoors when it's REALLY cold, windy, or snowy. It's been below zero and windy this week, so I've opted to cook our meat inside.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#9 of 14 Old 01-14-2010, 12:53 PM

Absolutely!

Our barbecue is on a covered deck. We just bundle up warmly. There's nothing tastier than a barbecued steak in the middle of a snowstorm!
#10 of 14 Old 01-16-2010, 02:22 AM

we did.... im recently divorced, and the bbq pit was xh's baby, so im grill-less at the moment, lol.

ive scraped snow off the grill in germany, and our last thanksgiving there we did it at a friends place with no patio and he was frying a turkey in freezing rain, poor guy

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#11 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 04:04 PM

We're hard core grillers. My DP and his friends grilled in a snow storm, during a party they had planned weeks in advance. They weren't going to let the weather get in their way. We live in WI, so the winters get pretty bad here, and there are just some things that have to be grilled. YKWIM? My dad is also a hard core griller. He grills a few times a week, on a charcoal Weber, on his covered porch. My mom and step dad grill all the time in their attached garage in the winter. I think most people who enjoy grilling don't stop grilling when the weather gets bad.

Double majoring Philosophy/History single student mommy geek.gif to DD(4yo)dust.gif. I heartbeat.gif reading (mostly feminist philosophy, Simone de Beauvoir and Jane Addams are my intellectual heros. I'm a dork pinktongue.gif), and sewmachine.gif.
You've got to get man off your eyeball, before you can see anything at all.- Shug Avery in "The Color Purple"

#12 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 04:07 PM

Yes but we're in Florida.
#13 of 14 Old 02-10-2010, 06:58 PM

yes. although we rarely eat meat and rarely grill anyway...we occasionally have winter bonfires and roast sausages and veggies.

Katie
#14 of 14 Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 AM

We do, but not in the rain. And, this winter has seen a lot of rain.

Oh, and I'm in Georgia. I'm scared of places like Indiana and Ohio and New Jersey anyway, so I probably wouldn't there. But, that's just because I wouldn't go outside if I didn't have to.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page