crockpots---do they contain lead? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-13-2010, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that I'm about to be a full time SAHM I am going to really rely on my crockpot if I ever want to leave the house again and also eat homemade organic meals I cook myself.

However I'm freaking because I read archived threads on here about the possibility of crockpots containing lead.

I have 2 crockpots, both Rival--both white ceramic glazed inserts. How in the world do I know if they are safe or not? I just ordered lead testing strips but then I also read that they may not be sensitive enough.

The archived threads did not ever come to a conclusion, but they were from 2 years ago. Can anyone give me any updated info about this?

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#2 of 5 Old 02-14-2010, 03:57 AM

They do contain lead, I emailed several different companies and have not yet had a response from one that it does not contain lead.

The FDA standard for lead is 2.0

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 5 Old 02-14-2010, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

2 questions from that terrible news.

First one is...Do people still use their crockpots or have you all found an alternative? I am about to be a FT SAHM and I was counting on my crockpot to help me greatly.

Second...I assume the glaze is what contains lead. So would Corningware (which also has a white ceramic glaze and looks very similar to my crockpot) also contain lead? I started using Corningware when Dr. Mercola said it was one of the safe baking surfaces.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#4 of 5 Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 PM

#5 of 5 Old 03-02-2010, 04:27 AM

I asked Hamilton Beach about lead and cadmium and they told me yes to both. They did say they were porcelain enamel coated to act as a barrier.

I asked permission from them to share their email and if they give it I will post it.

Not all those who wander are lost 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page