Mothering Forum banner

Anybody have a Vietnamese Pho recipe?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Goddess's mom 
#1 ·
I was reminded of this soup while listening to NPR a few weeks ago. It is delicious and I would like to add it to my recipe list. Does anyone have a Pho recipe that they like, Chicken or Beef? I would like to find a somewhat simple one without compromising the flavor. anybody?

#2 ·
Yes! Here is the link
http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnam...-soup-pho.html

One thing is instead of the separate spices I buy the pho spice bag at the Asian market. Also, I do not like the flavor the rock sugar provides so I omit that. For the meat I use sirloin for the raw pieces and brisket (all grass-fed, of course!). The brisket is thrown in the soup pot along with the beef bones. I slice it up as I'm serving it.

Happy cooking!

#3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by artpen View Post
Yes! Here is the link
http://steamykitchen.com/271-vietnam...-soup-pho.html

One thing is instead of the separate spices I buy the pho spice bag at the Asian market. Also, I do not like the flavor the rock sugar provides so I omit that. For the meat I use sirloin for the raw pieces and brisket (all grass-fed, of course!). The brisket is thrown in the soup pot along with the beef bones. I slice it up as I'm serving it.

Happy cooking!
Thanks mama!

#8 ·
When I lived in Oregon there was a little Vietnamese restaurant that made the best beef pho soup. I never have tried to make it at home, maybe I should try.
Asian food never tastes the same at home though.

#9 ·
When I was a child, I'm in love with my mom's Pho recipe. She often cook that special noodle for our family in the weekend. All the member gathered in the kitchen, helped her to repair the dish. But either me and my sister don't know how to make the broth of Pho. Because it's so difficult and takes a lot of time. 20 years pass, when we want to eat Pho, we used to come to the restaurant, it's quicker and more convenient. But they don't have the flavor of my mom Pho. One day, I discovered this insanely good and easy Pho product called Happy Pho that I can use to make pho from scratch in 15 mins I've found it hard to motivate myself to cook Pho without it. It's by a comapny called Star Anise Foods and the founder used a secret family recipe from her grandparents' restaurant from Nam Dinh where Pho came from to make the spice packet in the kit. You get a spice packet with all natural and organic spices, and brown rice noodles and just have to add some chicken or beef broth and fresh herb and mushroom or meat if you like. I was skeptical at first but now I completely LOVE them. I got mine from Noe Valley Whole Foods, you can get them online at amazon.com -- check them out here http://staranisefoods.com/find-us.aspx

#10 ·
This is the one I use, it takes some time but it is easy and forgiving and very yummy.

PHO BO (BEEF NOODLE SOUP)
8 oz beef sirloin
1 ¼ lb wide rice noodles, soaked in warm water for 20 minutes
1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
6-8 scallions cut into long thin pieces
2-3 chilies, seeded and finely chopped
½ cup bean sprouts
1 large bunch each mint and cilantro, chopped
2 limes cut into wedges
hoisin sauce and nouc cham sauces, to serve

For The Stock:
1 large oxtail or 1 lb beef short ribs, excess fat removed and cut into thick pieces
2 ¼ lb beef shank or brisket
2 large onions, peeled and quartered
2 carrots cut into pieces
3 inch piece of fresh ginger root, cut into chunks
6 cloves
2 cinnamon sticks
6 star anise
1 t black peppercorns
2 T soy sauce
4 T fish sauce

Place the oxtail in a pot and cover with water, bring to a boil and blanch for 10 minutes. Drain the oxtail, rinsing off any scum. Clean off the pan and put the oxtail back in with all the other stock ingredients except for the fish sauce. Cover the ingredients with about 12 litres of water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours. Remove the lid and simmer for another hour until the stock is reduced to about 8 cups. If possible let the stock sit overnight. Skim off any fat and strain the stock into another pan. At this point the stock can be refrigerated or frozen for later use.

When ready to serve bring the stock to a boil, add the fish sauce and adjust the seasoning, reduce the heat to a simmer and keep very hot for serving.

Cut the beef sirloin across the grain into very thin pieces. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook the rice sticks (noodles) until al dente. Divide the noodles, beef and other serving ingredient evenly among the bowls and ladle the hot stock over. Pass the lime wedges, fish sauce, hoisin and nouc cham at the table

I don't remember where I got it from, it lives in my recipe file on my computer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.