What to do with sooo much milk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-05-2010, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI! I have a family of 6 and we get 14 gallons of milk a month thru WIC. I am pregnant with our 5th child and we will soon be getting at least 17 gallons soon. Not quite sure what to do with it as my 2 oldest dont drink it...they dont like it even if I mix it up with choc or strawberry syrup. My husband and One yr old are BOTH lactose intolerant...we get Lactaid for my one yr old thru wic but it makes him and my husband both very gassy and neither want it. Sooo...needless to say I have to buy Soy or Almond milk for them. The baby is only 5 months. I drink whole milk but Im the only one and there is no way I can keep up with all the milk. Im maxed out on the switches for cheese for milk and I make pudding and smoothies but have no idea how to use it up. I give my family what I can but they can only take so much too...lol.. I end up dumping most of it down te drain....I was thinking about donating it to our church but dont want to make it to obvious as I dont want it taken away either...any ideas?

High raw Vegans Mommy to 5!!
#2 of 17 Old 03-05-2010, 10:02 PM

Can you freeze it?
I'm thinking a big batch of homemade icecream

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#3 of 17 Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 PM
pjs

make fresh mozzarella? yogurt? as pp said ice cream?
#4 of 17 Old 03-06-2010, 03:30 PM

I always use milk, sugar and food coloring for popsicles, it's simple and quick and really yummy! Maybe your 2 older ones would like it like this too.
#5 of 17 Old 03-06-2010, 05:10 PM

If you're dumping it down the drain why don't you just not get it? Do they reduce your other benefits if you don't take it all or something?

Do you use yogurt in your smoothies? You can make yogurt with milk very easily. A friend of mine on WIC makes cheese with some of her milk. Mozzarella and ricotta are really easy but she can also make cheddar and is going to try Parmesan soon. You do need to buy the cultures, but as I understand it, they last a good while.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#6 of 17 Old 03-06-2010, 05:16 PM

Freeze it. When I worked at the shelter we had to always have a certain amount of milk out at all times, but we only shopped once a week. The only want to do that was to keep a lot in the freezer at all times. I have tasted whole and 2% previously frozen milk, and I was never able to taste a difference in it. You will just have to do the smell test since the expiration date wont be accurate.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#7 of 17 Old 03-07-2010, 05:45 AM

definitely try making yogurt. In addition to eating it as yogurt, or with smoothies, we eat a TON of yogurt as sauces, and you can also make a nice cheese out of it. We like it with salt and dill, or salt and cumin, or salt and cucumbers. You can put it in a cloth lined strainer, in the fridge for a day or two or three (or more) depending on how you want it, and you get a nice thick cream cheese like spread, or even cheese spread. (you can salt it before you drain it too). the drippings are whey, and have tons of protein, great for smoothies and stuff. mostly I like the yogurt cream/cheese better though.

you could also make buttermilk (really easy with a little cultured buttermilk from the store, just add 2 TBS buttermilk to a quart of milk, leave it in a warm place overnight.) and use that for ranch dressing and stuff (great to combine buttermilk and yogurt, for a thicker consistancy).

(also some lactose intolerant folks can handle yogurt. My DP actually cured his lactose intolerance by eating huge quantities of yogurt over a period of time, and continueing to eat lots of yogurt.)

Icecream sounds good too, particularly as it becomes summer.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#8 of 17 Old 03-07-2010, 05:15 PM

If you can't use the milk, then don't take it. Just because something is on your voucher, doesn't mean you have to get it.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#9 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 01:59 PM

I just wouldn't take it.. We get a TON of tuna b/c I am breastfeeding but I just haven't been getting it b/c we are not using it.

Busy Mom raising 5 kiddos, 7, 6, 5, 2  and a brand new bundle!! (5/15/11)  cd.gifribbonpb.gifnovaxnoIRC.gif

#10 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
If you can't use the milk, then don't take it. Just because something is on your voucher, doesn't mean you have to get it.
Not necessarily. When I was on WIC I had to get everything that was on the voucher. If it had cheese and milk on it and I only needed the cheese I had to get the milk anyway. I have no idea how these things vary state to state, but she might have to get the milk if she wants to get the other items.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#11 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 PM

Not that you need anymore, but you can make cheese and yogurt out of milk. It's not that difficult. And actually very flexible. Like for cheese - do the next step sometime in the next 12-24 hours. Yogurt is less flexible, but it has at least a few hours where you can get to it.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#12 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 09:36 PM

Yogurt.

You can make milk based meals--cream of vegetable soup, potato soup, things with a white sauce (chicken pot pie, chicken tettrazini, many casseroles), macaroni and cheese. Desserts--pudding, flan, custard, rice pudding.
#13 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
Not necessarily. When I was on WIC I had to get everything that was on the voucher. If it had cheese and milk on it and I only needed the cheese I had to get the milk anyway. I have no idea how these things vary state to state, but she might have to get the milk if she wants to get the other items.
Interesting. I have not gotten things on the voucher without a problem. Both
in Missouri and in Kansas.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#14 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 02:49 PM

A friend of mine is on WIC and gets a LOT of milk each month. When she HAD to get it, she'd trade it for something or just gift it to friends (mainly me.) Now they've changed the system here to cards instead of the printed voucher and she doesn't HAVE to get it, so she doesn't.

Mama of three.

#15 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 02:58 PM

I'd say that if you HAVE to take it to get your other stuff, then the cheese option seems best to me. If your DH and one kid can't have milk, can they have cheese? Do the other two eat cheese? it freezes really well, especially if you can vaccuum pack it.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#16 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 03:01 PM

Yesterday we picked up the wrong juice. It was too much of a hassle to run back and get the correct ones. So we left it off to WIC checks. No problem at all.

#17 of 17 Old 03-20-2010, 09:14 PM

I'm in TX and we got the WIC Card, I never get the whole milk, only the 2% for DS (which is still 3 gallons a month) and I leave the extra 3 gallons of whole milk on the account. Nobody has ever said anything and even back when I had the vouchers (that was in NC) you didn't HAVE to buy what was on the check, you could just leave some of the stuff that you didn't eat. I rather not get it instead of dump it down the drain.

If you HAVE to get it anyway then I'd probably give it away but as unnoticed as possible.

joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page