Lunch ideas for toddler without meat or dairy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-23-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 16-month old has been constipated for the last several months--she always has to strain really hard to have a bowel movement. When my sister was a little kid, she was really constipated until dairy was taken out of her diet so I want to try this with mine. She doesn't drink any cow's milk, just breastfeeds. However, my daughter's daycare serves cheese (macaroni, pizza, quiche, grilled cheese, etc) almost every day for lunch and/or snack. I need some lunch ideas that can be packed (there is a fridge to store them in there) without a lot of preparation, have no dairy, are vegetarian, and are easy to chew (she doesn't have molars yet).
The things I might pack would be beans and grains, lentil soup, and pureed vegetable soup but we eat those at home a lot and I feel like I should try to be more creative.
#2 of 6 Old 04-06-2010, 03:13 PM

What about sunflower butter sandwiches cut into strips or cold pastas?

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#3 of 6 Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 AM

Hummus with pitas & veggies to dip
mini pizzas (top with just sauce & veggies)
Quinoa & black beans (adjust the cayenne to suit your toddler's tastes)
Beans & Rice
#4 of 6 Old 04-13-2010, 01:31 AM

Location: Where creepy facebook-featured threads can't find me
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can she be fed or does she need to fend for herself? If she can be fed, my toddler loved "rice lunch." Still does. Actually we now all eat rice lunch because it is tasty.

Rice/Barley/Quinoa base with lots of easily chewed veggies in small pieces (asparagus, sauteed zuccini, mushroom, squash, tomatoes, etc.) with some protein, often two (sausage, tofu, ham, leftover cooked meat, chickpeas). The trick is to make sure that all the component parts chew well together and have some other flavor agent (butter, olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, etc.). The trick is variety. And slightly less healthy (and tasty) ingredients are extended by healthier components. LOTS of veggies get eaten this well.
#5 of 6 Old 04-18-2010, 03:23 PM

falaffell with coconut yogurt and cucumber and hummus
avocado
brown rice or quinoa
pasta with veggies and tomato sauce or just olive oil
beans of all varieties (one of my dd's favs is black beans with quinoa and avocado)
Mac and "cheese" We used the baby food squash and a little oil for the "cheese"
can she have soy?

Melanie- Mama to my super hero daughter superhero.gif bravely battling brain cancer. ribbongrey.gif ribbongold.gif  www.fightformaddie.com  and expecting 1sttri.gif 1/13!!!!

#6 of 6 Old 04-20-2010, 11:42 PM

I love all these ideas!

I'm in a pickle because my preschooler only wants to eat grains and dairy, yet I think he's a bit sensitive to them. He's extreeeeeemely "picky", to the extent that I think it's a sensory disorder situation.

I second the mac and "cheese" idea above. We kinda do that with my son, using sweet potato soup.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page