Planning from the garden/Flex planning for here-and-gone spouse - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-05-2010, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've meal-planned a little before this, and love it, not only for all the usually cited reasons but also because I find that half the energy invested in dinnertime is in figuring out what to do, so it's nice to skip that when you're tired and stressed. I'd love to get back on the bandwagon, but here's the catch: We eat a lot out of the garden, or from the farmer's market, and eat a lot of veggies all summer. That's not a wholly predictable quantity, you know? Maybe the vendors have good looking zucchini, but maybe they don't and the bell peppers look great. Maybe one day you go out back and realize that you have six pounds of ripe tomatoes to deal with NOW. I'm sure that a lot of you ladies have gardens and have dealt with these issues, and some tips would definitely be appreciated on how to add some flex without the plan just falling apart.

Also, my husband's work recently moved his job on us, and for an unknown number of months he'll be working 2-3 (depending on traffic) hours away. The idea is to mostly stay down there for the weed, but for example last week (our first full week), he ended up not having a lot to do at work and coming home almost every night. Not knowing whether I'm going to be feeding just myself and a toddler or all three of us is going to make planning--really, any sort of planning, I'm finding--a bit trickier. Any thoughts or advice on that front?
#2 of 3 Old 04-05-2010, 11:08 AM

When I meal plan, I don't plan out what veggie we'll eat, we just eat whatever is in the fridge. As far as not knowing who to cook for, I'd probably meal plan as if your dh was going to be there and make sure to have a leftover night to use up any food. You could also throw in a day a week where you just use up what's in the fridge.
#3 of 3 Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 PM

http://www.EatRealGood.com

I made this free meal planner for this *exact* issue! I looked and couldn't find one, so I just made it. lol

You enter the produce you want to use (that you get from your garden, CSA box, or farmers' market) and it lets you find recipes that efficiently utilize those veggies.

Give it a try and let me know what you think. Also, tell all your friends about it. It's free, and if you're registered you can enter your own recipes and meals to share with the community database.

I can't wait for CSA season to start!!!

Here's the direct link to the free meal planner: http://mealplanner.eatrealgood.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page