Meal planning around soccer practice and other activities - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-07-2010, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have entered the world of soccer practice. It is 1-2 nights a week at 5:45. Typically we have dinner around 5:30 or 6, so this will take some adapting.

What do you have for dinner on busy nights?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-08-2010, 09:11 PM

I can't say enough good things about crock pot meals for nights like that. When I make my meal plan, I usually include a couple crock pot meals to work around this issue.

The meal planner I made lets you search for only crock pot meals that match up with what is in your vegbox (if you're getting a CSA share this spring/summer). (You can also search vegan, vegetarian, gf, df...)

http://www.EatRealGood.com

Thanks for the reminder, actually - I need to enter some more yuuuuummy crock pot meals into the database. I LOVE my crock pot!
#3 of 10 Old 04-13-2010, 06:49 PM

We eat earlier, around 4:30, 5 on practice days. If you can't get home earlier, you could have leftovers, something easy that does not require a lot of prep, like sandwhiches for example. Or, we have also just picked up something quick on the way/way home if we are really strapped for time.
The crockpot idea is good, too.
I aim for easy on practice days.
#4 of 10 Old 04-22-2010, 10:11 AM

I agree about the crockpot! It is great for things like this. I also have several meals that I can throw together pretty quickly. I'll see if I can find some of them for you.

Blackbean & Cheese Quesadillas, super quick
http://cookingformyfamily.blogspot.c...esadillas.html

Blackbean Tacos with Avocado & Lime
http://cookingformyfamily.blogspot.c...e-avocado.html

Cobb Sandwiches
http://cookingformyfamily.blogspot.c...hes-yummy.html

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#5 of 10 Old 04-28-2010, 10:06 AM

I'm in the same boat. Soccer practice tuesday and thursday from 5:30-7:30 (two kids worth). So, we get home @ 7:45. We can't eat early because I get off of work at 5-enough time to grab the kids and go. We usually have pizza one of those nights and either crockpot or *shudder* hot dogs-which I hate, but the girls love so, whatever.
#6 of 10 Old 04-28-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaaris View Post
I can't say enough good things about crock pot meals for nights like that. When I make my meal plan, I usually include a couple crock pot meals to work around this issue.

The meal planner I made lets you search for only crock pot meals that match up with what is in your vegbox (if you're getting a CSA share this spring/summer). (You can also search vegan, vegetarian, gf, df...)

http://www.EatRealGood.com

Thanks for the reminder, actually - I need to enter some more yuuuuummy crock pot meals into the database. I LOVE my crock pot!
I love you for this website!!
#7 of 10 Old 04-28-2010, 10:23 AM

This is my hardest dilemma with meal planning too. We have soccer three nights a week, and two of them we leave the house at 4:30 and aren't home until 7:30. It never works to feed my kids as early as 4, they are starved by the time they get home. Plus, I don't want them to have a huge meal right before practice. During these busy seasons I actually try to have lunch be a really big meal. Then they can have a decent-sized snack before practice, and then eat again when they get home. Sometimes it is just leftovers, or crock pot, or sometimes I am actually cooking and we don't eat until literally 9:00 at night.

I am really going to try to be more consistent with doing the big lunchtime meal though, because it just seems easier.
#8 of 10 Old 05-01-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wife&mommy View Post
I agree about the crockpot! It is great for things like this. I also have several meals that I can throw together pretty quickly. I'll see if I can find some of them for you.

Blackbean & Cheese Quesadillas, super quick
http://cookingformyfamily.blogspot.c...esadillas.html

Blackbean Tacos with Avocado & Lime
http://cookingformyfamily.blogspot.c...e-avocado.html

Cobb Sandwiches
http://cookingformyfamily.blogspot.c...hes-yummy.html
I read this earlier today and guess what is for dinner? Blackbean Tacos with Avocado and lime!

I really like your blog! I need easy, healthy meals to break the take-out habit that has developed over the past two months before and after our move.

Melissa- mom to a boy 9/06 and a new boy 11/10 and married to my best friend 7/02
#9 of 10 Old 05-01-2010, 07:53 PM

Oh I'm glad you like it!
Those tacos are yummy, they are on our list for this week.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#10 of 10 Old 05-01-2010, 08:56 PM

No longer a soccer mom but a hockeyrunsrightintolacrosse season mom. during hockey we have an elaborate carpool system set up because it's 4 nights a week and 90 minutes away, 90 minute practice (plus time to get gear on) and then back so I am actually responsible for one night a week fully and then just getting him to carpool and back is about a hour a night. Lacrosse is 4 nights per week, 5:30-7 but it's 30 minutes away and you have to leave time to get dressed.

Anyway, I do a lot of planned overs. I might make chili Tuesday night one week and have chili topped baked potatoes the following Thursday. I'll stick a whole chicken in the crockpot and shred it for burritos and then make chicken soup with the left over meat and stock. I love the lunchbox burrito recipe that's all over the internet because it too feeds a family one night and then you can make and freeze the rest for snacks or another meal.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page